Main Menu

Cor!! and Buster Humour Special

Started by DrJomster, 19 April, 2019, 10:07:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrJomster

Picked this up for the kids today from our local Smiths. I think it must be a winner because it was being read none stop this afternoon! Now they're asleep, I should be able to borrow it for myself for a couple of hours! :)

They also get the Beano and were pleased to see another title doing comics in that way.

Roll on the collected editions!
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

Bad City Blue

Writer of SENTINEL, the best little indie out there

Lobo Baggins

I assume 'The Feek' is Keith 'Robo-Keef' Richardson, but only because Keef backwards is Feek.
The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.

M.I.K.

Most successful Rebellion 'reboot' so far, in my opinion.

DrJomster

The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

CalHab

It got a thumbs up from my daughter as well. Gums was a particular favourite.

AlexF

Chalk me up as another happy Dad with both children (9 year-old boy and girl) happy readers. Perhaps even better, the strips I looked through didn't really tickle me all that much, basically in the same way that the Beano leaves me cold now (after LOVING it as a nipper). This kind of comic shouldn't be written for grown-ups to enjoy!

IndigoPrime

I never really cared for The Beano as a kid, although I had it on order for years. IPC/Fleetway fare always felt more fun and anarchic, although I bought lots of Whoopee and Whizzer & Chips (along with the odd Buster) with my pocket money.

Having not picked up a Beano for years, I grabbed one recently at Waterloo, given that it was bagged with an annual. I've been reading it through with the 4yo. I quite like it, even if the scripts are a bit corny, and too much humour is reliant on wordplay (which goes right over the head of my kid, given her age). I do quite like how the gender balance is a lot better now, even if some of the actual strips remain a bit too rooted in their original eras. (Quite why there's only one girl in the Bash Street Kids' class, I don't know.)

Once I've read the annual through, I'll try the Cor/Buster special on the nipper and report back.

broodblik

I only bought Buster occasionally when growing up, I preferred the sci-fi/adventure type of comics rather.  So I just get it out of curiosity and I musts say that it was not to bad. If you have younglings than this special is well worth your time (or rather theirs).  If you get it out of nostalgia then it is also well worth it.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Bolt-01

Congrats to all the FQP alumnus in the pages :)

It's a good, fun read and the article by Lew Stringer was really enjoyable too.

Goosegash

Great to see Tom Paterson doing Sweeney Toddler again, always my favourite artist as a kid long before I knew his name.

Unfortunately whoever they've got to do Faceache is not a patch on the late great Ken Reid. I mean to be fair those are some big shoes to fill but it's disappointing all the same.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: CalHab on 23 April, 2019, 07:48:49 AM
It got a thumbs up from my daughter as well. Gums was a particular favourite.

Get her a t-shirt! https://shop.2000ad.com/catalogue/MERXC134
@jamesfeistdraws

Colin YNWA

Heart warming tale of the day:

So I hadn't bothered with the 'Cor and Buster Special'. While I read many of these comics back in the day I don't hold them in much nostalgia, as my older brother moved me onto 2000ad, Battle, Doctor Who Weekly, Star Wars weekly etc etc pretty quickly. Rebellion are rolling out so much fine stuff these days you gotta pick and choose.... annnnyyyway. So hadn't bothered.

Took my 7 year son to FCBD and after he had much fun raiding the free stuff we pottered around to the regular shelves on the way to me getting my pull-bag. First thing he saw on the shelves was Cor and Buster! He grapped it, looked at me.

"What's this!"

I explained - he took about 7 seconds flicking through and

"This is like the Funny Book one I got from the frees ones, looks reallly goooood. Can I have it ...pleassseeee."

I only just escaped the shop without having to buy 'Creepy Creatures' as well!

So while this isn't a review of the content it is the best possible review I can give this comic. My 7 year old child - who I admit is being trained via 'The Phoenix' - took barely a few seconds with this under his nose and another sale marked up. Don't be telling me there's no market for kids comics any more!

IndigoPrime

Good to hear. I'm really happy that The Phoenix is doing well, and I'd hope there would be a market for non-tat comics for kids. Mini-IP is growing beyond Hey Duggee (which is now a stickers/activity mag with no plastic), and I'd love for her to have more choices. We now have a sub to Okido, although, in all honesty, the comic/writing bits in that are sub-par. (The concept is good, mind, as are the learning bits.) More Rebellion comics would be nice. (I was, however, surprisingly impressed with The Beano, which I'd not looked at in something like 20 years. Far better than it used to be for diversity, even if the classic characters still whiff of the 1960s.)