Main Menu

The storylines of these new films then...

Started by Oddboy, 24 April, 2002, 10:57:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thread Zero

Well I am confident now that the old storylines have been scrapped, the new films will stick pretty close to the source material.

Trust me, the future's bright...the future's Dredd.

scojo who never self promotes:p

paulvonscott

"All action films use set pieces to some degree."

Yeah and the worst example is star wars sequals which are a mix of set pieces, computer games and rehashed ideas.  

Action films often suffer from the 'now we have the desert set, now we have the fight on the tower, now we have the clone room' mentality.  It's all so claustrophobic.  It just cuts from one to another, you don't feel you are watching a continuous movie.

Of course lots of mvoies do it, its when you see the seams it bugs you.  You have the same process on something like Alien, but it all feels like a believable series of sequences, the pieces all fit together seemlessly. The old Dredd film was shocking.

paulvonscott

"Well I am confident now that the old storylines have been scrapped, the new films will stick pretty close to the source material.

Trust me, the future's bright...the future's Dredd."

Yeah, I agree, this is as good as we could ever hope for!  Woo!

Oddboy

"Here's a Sly way of doing Dredd." ?

Scojo - you're puns are terrible.
 xx
Better set your phaser to stun.

2000AD Online

>>IMHO, I don't see why it's so difficult to bring Dredd to the screen. I really don't.<<

The fans, Scojo.

Jayzus B. Christ

When film directors realise that the best sci-fi films had more to do with intelligent plots and good acting than flashy effects, cool stunts and big sets, then a judge dredd film will work. Look at Blade Runner, Terminator (You have to admit, Arnie does a good robot), Alien and 2001: A Space Odyssey.
Judge Dredd the comic strip's main selling points (for me at least) are political satire, suspense, drama, humour and good character development. The violent and bizarre city of the future provides a good backdrop, but is not the strip's driving point.
Except when Garth Ennis used to write it.