Main Menu

Fave Dredd artists (from previous thread)

Started by Thread Zero, 25 April, 2002, 09:20:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thread Zero

Following on from oddboygirl's thread about Ron:

These are my all time Dreddy artists. In no particular order.

Carlos Ezquerra
Ron Smith
Mike McMahon
Brian Bolland
Ian Gibson
Steve Dillion

Anyone wanna argue that with me?:))

Oh yeah, get a 2k artist to do some Dredd film posters too!

scojo

Trout

Again, in no order.
Ian Gibson, because it pays to be mental.
Brian Bolland, because it pays to be a genius.
Ezquerra, as the original, who only improves with age.
Cliff Robinson, whose covers are top-notch striking stuff.
Mike McMahon, whose command of drawing apes in suits will forever be unrivalled.
Oh dear. I just realised I'm really showing my age here.
Mike D

Oddboy

Yeah maybe but you didn't put the Ron Smith droid in your list.
How'd you rate him?
Better set your phaser to stun.

Oddboy

Sorry ignore me you've already told me.
Note to self: READ THE NAME AT THE END OF THE MESSAGES DAMNIT!!

Wood

No argument there... apart from the fact you missed out Brett Ewins (Haunting of Sector House 9: fantastic!) and Brendan McCarthy.

paulvonscott

I'd go along with just about everyone mentioned, I can't think of many artists from the last ten years though.

Oddboy

I think Colin MacNeil should make the list, also Peter Doherty & Cam Kennedy.

Oddboy

Actually; who remembers the cover of Megazine Volume I issue 18? (Ten years ago more or less - it was the 15years of Dredd celebrations & had 15 different artists' versions of Dredd's head (the sixteenth was Carlos Ezquerra again).
That were cool.

Thread Zero

I guess my list was from the early years.

But Cliff, Cam and the rest are cool too.

Cam has done quite a lot of Dredd's recently. He went a way for a while then up he pops.

scojo

paulvonscott

Ahh... Cam Kennedy.  His stuff is great.  I read any of his Dredd's with a happy heart.

sigu

Don't forget the mighty Jock!

Best Dredd artist for years, if you ask me.

SiGhttp://www.2000adonline.com/covers/2000ad/thumbnails/1258thumb.jpg">

Tex Hex

I quite liked Sean Philips. O.K. his dredd looked like countless others, but I liked his paint work.

Trout

I remember a time when (as a callow youth) I thought Brett Ewins could do no wrong.
His stuff was terrific, especially Sector House 9, but eventually a feeling of unease grew over me.
Was anybody else bothered by the way he would reproduce his own art over and over in one strip?
As an artistic device, it might work in small doses, but he did it so much that eventually (during all that Anderson stuff he did) I was put off.
Mind you, his Cass was sexy. And her hair was brilliant!

PS Boy-girl-bloke I wasn't ignoring you; had to go to do a bit of work off-computer.
Ron Smith was great but not on my list of favourites.
I did, however, love his heavily-influenced earliest stuff - The Day The Law Died episode with Walter, the Kleggs and the early helmet design.
Of course, his own vision of Dredd, as it developed, defined 80s Dredd helmet design as much less rounded.
Am I being anally retentive now? (That'll start some sweary arguments)
Splundig Vur Controversy, Squaxx Dek Thargo.

ArtOfGregory

You mean to tell me no one here liked Bisley's wicked ass Dredd? Man, he really shaped the look for Dredd in the 90's I felt.  I know 10 million clones of him, that just goes to show what an influence his art was. So I say Bisley was my favorite.

Aaron Smurf Murphy

Peter Doherty, Jock and of course Mr Carlos. Although I do like Simon Davis' Cover for 1283 (i think it was that or 1282).

Finnigan.