Main Menu

Support Your Local Comics Publisher

Started by Dean, 28 April, 2002, 03:06:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dean

On an earlier post I got a bit stressed out about the lack opportunities Rebellion were making re their subscribers. It was good to receive some correspondence this time around even if it was an apology for the recent delays.

But a pat on the back to Rebellion for the special offer on Glimmer Rats & Rain Dogs to subscribers. In my earlier post I suggested a bigger discount and I'll stick to that, I think 25% is a reasonable discount assuming the customer pays the postage as I'd guess WH Smiths make a 35% margin on the prog. That is still an extra 10% to Rebellion by selling direct.

If anyone at Rebellion is reading this stick with this concept of special deals to subscibers although 10% is on the mean side of things. 2000AD has a very loyal readership and I, for one would rather profits went to you guys rather than WH Smiths.

So, I'm gonna order these books to show my support, I don't think I would have bought them otherwise, and Rebellion, keep the special offers coming through, you know it makes sense.

And to all you non subscribers, subscribe now, it's cheaper than buying at the newsagent and the right people make the money. There are occasional delays but its worthing sticking with it.

Finally, Rebellion lets see the 'Gold' Subscription service, as I've said before I'd happily pay more money to receive the prog on a Saturday morning than a Monday morning. (Even more than the extra postage if there were more special offers thrown in)

Dean

(Always good to respond to your own post as it makes it look more popular on the main page)

I tried to order Rain Dogs & Glimmer Rats but do you think I can get it to show the discount to subscibers. I'm a reasonably intelligent bloke but I can't get it to work.

Wake, can you confirm that this part of the site is working, or if I'm being an arse do you have any suggestions. I did ensure that all fields were completed before getting to the end but the discount just would not show up.

Has anyone else managed to get this to work.

paulvonscott

I dunno, everyone seems to want everything on the cheap these days.  I think you ought to be grateful for your 10%.  It really pisses me off that people get so disgruntled over small amounts of money for new stuff then go out and pay some ridiulous price for some ancient bit of tat.  That's not aimed at you, but there is a lot of it about.

I think there ought to be one price for everything (barring the odd special offer).  

If 2000AD went almost totally to subscription and subscribers got all the books cheap, why should any of these products end up in Newsagents and Bookshops, where they might attract some new readers?  I can't think of any reason.  I get my 2000AD in from my local shop, and because I get one, they get an extra one in, maybe someone will see it and give it a go (as long as they take the crinkly copy).

As for a loyal readership, they seem to get a minimum amount of readers regardless of quailty and content, the poeple who are more valuable to them are the floaters, the waverers and the lost.

Dean

I know where you're coming from on this as some presence in newsagents is considered by many to be a good idea. But I think the prog is now so much more sophisticated than it was that the average newsagent does not really carry it anyway.

Smiths in my area display it with the more 'grown up' magazines, I think that this is right as it shouldn't really be with 'Bob The Builder' but this does mean that casual readers are unlikely to pick it up.

I started reading comics in mid 70's when Marvel UK has quite a line on the go. 2000ad was a natural bed fellow and picked up 120,000 readers every week in those heady days. This sadly cannot happen now, the prog sells about 22,000 copies a week (i think) and judging by my subscription number over a third are on subscription (I accept this could be total bollocks though)

My point is that Rebellion are in business to make money. If they do well we are more likely to receive better output from them in terms of quality and quantity. I would rather they earnt the money from me than distributors & retailers etc etc as it feels like I'm supporting the prog more.

British comics are almost defuct with the exception of 2000ad. Given the collapse of the UK & US comic market I think it is brilliant that it is still going, the lateness of this weeks prog made me realise what it might be like if it didn't come at all.

My point on subscriptions offers is really about making the reader buy more, direct from Rebellion. Rather than trying to stitch them up by asking for a penny or two off here and there.

If I'm honest the cost of the product is not an issue to me I would happily pay over ?2 for the prog & over a fiver for the Meg. Having been away from the prog for over 14 years until jumping back on with no. 1250 I've found it very reassuring that it is still there at all and I would like to do what I can to help the company behind it.

2000ad is really all that's left of our mainstream UK comic book industry and we really should cherish it. Given the heartfelt opinions that I see on this board I think most of us care about it a great deal.

As such when I bang on about this subject I'm coming at it from a positive point of view to help Rebellion rather than save a shilling or two. As an accountant by trade we spend alot of time trying to help our clients make more money and I think thats what is happening here.

Phew, sorry about the rant pvs I'd like your feedback on what I've said above and by the way are you going to bring back the peoples court

paulvonscott

Oooooohh.... the crown court.  Well any excuse to dress up in a wig and robes is always welcome.  I'm never sure if it will all end in chaos or a deathly silence.  So perhaps people should get thinking for stories they like or loathe.

I think rebellion are doing a pretty good job, certainly their licenses are like mana from heaven.  Roleplaying games, miniatures, audio CD's, titan books.  Then they are working on the computer game and movies.

I have  afeeling sales may have been creeping up over the last year or so.  I think there ought to be sales figures on the site.

I still think it's a good idea for people to buy stuff in the shops.  It's exposure after all and how many old gadgees like me, just started reading 2000AD again because they saw it in the shop and had a quick sneeky peek?

If it all becomes some furtive mail order thing then I think that is more damaging overall.

But then again, I could be full of it.
Oh well, of to watch the uncut enter the dragon and finish my ?2.29 bottle of wine (now that is cheap).

Cheers

Paul

Dean

I agree Rebellion are an absolute breath of fresh air. I think the prog & the Meg are both in a rich vein of quality.

Good idea about the sales figures, my instinct is that alot of people have returned to the fold recently. I'm sure it was David Bishop in a CI article who mentioned the 22,000 readership. Has it crept up, it would be interesting to know or are Rebellion keeping the figures from the taxman!

By the way I know Enter the Dragon is good but if the ?2.29 wine is also please let us have details. More of an Australian Shiraz man myself, Rosemount is nice at about ?6.99.

Dean

Actually that last bit was a bit tarty I'm drinking Fosters while typing this.

Incidentally did you all know that most Australians don't drink th stuff in Oz. My wife's an Aussie and they all drink VB which, funnily enough, they don't export quite so readily.

paulvonscott

Er, well it's some dodgy rose called seven hills from asda, red gets my head and white don't give my teeth no delight, so I have to mosey to the rose (fuckin' ell).  

I'm broke so it'll be my last drink for a while, but it's not to bad (either that or I'm way too desperate).

Anyway I'm on half time.  I have to have a break, it's too exciting.  That Afro of Jim Kelly's is absolutely amazing.

I don't want to sound contentious here, but I think AD, with a few exceptions has been a bit dull the last two months.  But it don't matter cos next week, it ain't going up a gear, it's on turbo boost.  Isn't that right Kit?

Assuming the story about the nutter is okay.

paulvonscott

I'll leave the last word to Williams:

Man, you come right out of a comic book.