Main Menu

Rick Bloody Random & The History of 2000AD

Started by Dean, 28 April, 2002, 03:36:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dean

Young Rick was my choice on pvs's recent 'crown court' on old 2000ad characters and I'm pleased that nobody owned up to liking it.

It got a mention in David Bishop's excellent history of the prog in the new Meg and and the lines 'For the second summer special, a turgid 1950's strip called Rick Random was resurrected. Somebody thought it so good, they commissioned a new Rick Random series for 2000ad, which began in prog 113. Curiously, no-one admits responsibility for this (mercifully brief) series.'

Let me tell you if they did I'd bloody well hunt them down.

Seriously this series on the history of 2000ad is brilliant. There must be scope for a separate expanded version at say ?9.99 (or more) with, perhaps the full mock up of the first prog, unused covers etc etc. I'd even like to hear some input from the people running IPC at the time who so clearly did not understand the gem of a product they were publishing.

Additional interviews with the artists as well as the writers would also be very interesting.

paulvonscott

Yeah, I think a collected (and expanded) book version would be very popular.

Leigh S

According to the interview with Dave Bishop on the website mentioned in the other thread, there is indeed a planned reprint for next year.

It would be great if it's expanded to feature stuff like the Prog Zero dummy (as much as exists).  Strontium Dog concept art would also be nice!

It would also be good if the info was expanded to make it as definitive as possible - I understand the limitations of the 8 page format of the current articles, but it would be nice to give readers something extra to encourage those who are buying the Megazine to also fork out on the book.

For example, the Guardians critical mauling of 2000AD that annoyed Pat Mills so much would be great to read.  Or just adding to the material thats already there - for example, IIRC, the first installments of the VCs were initially done for Starlord as 8 part episodes, canned when Starlord sank and resurrected when a slot became available after the Tornado merge.

Still, the articles are fantastic as they stand, but a little bit extra would surely show in the sales?

And pictures of Bob Bartholomew (who looks just as you'd imagine him!)

Dean

See there's alot more to be told, I never knew that VC's was originally set to be in Starlord, thanks for that.

Makes you wonder what the difference really was between 2000ad & Starlord in those days if stories were interchangeable as VC's fits in so well with 2000ad.

Also makes you wonder whether or not the 2000ad we have now is more like descendent of Starlord or 2000ad. Somehow I think it is the former that has 'won out' in the end as I think it was always that much more sophisticated than the prog.

I think there are alot of stories still to be told, these along with unpublished art be a good seller I'm sure of it. Let's face it Bob Bartholemew would probably think it would sink without trace so it can't fail.

O Lucky Stevie!

& there i was thinking that posting expanded verions of these articles as a historical section on this site would be a great idea!

love to see more unpublished art, especially if it's printed at the same scale at which it it was originally intended to be published.

>Let me tell you if they did I'd bloody well hunt them down.

hey, dean, didn't harry harrison write the for the original rick random strip back in the 1950s? there's some where for you to start, anyway!

i've wt my knickers!
steven l'enfant terrible
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

Dean

mmm I may have to forgive him then as I enjoyed the Stainless Steel Rat adaption in the prog, although I haven't read the books.

I think I'll stick with Bob Bartholemew, he wants to hope he never meets me in a dark alley, it'll take more than Rick (middle name bloody) Random to sort out the mess.

Leigh S

Believe me, Bartholomew doesnt look like the sort of guy you'd want to meet in a dark alley - not unless youre armed with garlic and some holy water...

Buddy

I was reading the article just this morning and was thinking exactly the same thing. An expanded, definitive version of the history of 2000AD, with interviews etc. with all the main players and information on strips from original concept to printed page along with info on the stories that didn't make it!

I'd also likr to see the original 'pickle jar' page. Any chance Rebellion?

2000AD Online

Any uncensored artwork would definitley be worth a look. If it still exists.

'Et tu, Kevin?'

Not that I want to encourage any more hateful postings, but wasn't it Steve Moore who wrote 'The Astral Assassin'?

davidbishop

I said a collected edition of Thrill-Power Overload was planned for next year? If I did, I overstated the case. I HOPE all the articles will be collected together under one cover.

If that happens, I've got a stack of extra material that either didn't make the cut when I first wrote each article (5000 words can be a right sod to hit, sometimes) or that has come to light since.

For example, I only managed to interview Ian Gibson after writing Part 3 which covers the origins of Robo-Hunter. He had some interesting things to say about that which I'd like to incorporate in a final, semi-definitive version.

So, fingers crossed for a big collected edition.

davidbishop

paulvonscott

Well I hope so, it's all so just gosh darn interesting!

If it helps sway the vote with Rebellion, these articles have stopped me killing for the last two months.

Even Pa's special recipe Turkish delight never made that happen.

Ahur Ahur.

Buddy

If Rebellion decide not to reprint this material, I'll do it.
What do I have to do to secure the right to do this?

Do I only need the say so of David Bishop or do Rebellion own the material?

I'm serious, this would make a great book, nay T.V. special.