Main Menu

Steve Moore or Peter Hogan - Writers Solhiem Cup - Tie 5

Started by Colin YNWA, 25 June, 2021, 06:27:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Team Classic vs. Team Current
Only work for Tharg to be Considered

Steve 'No relative' Moore is possibly best known by some as the mentor to Alan 'Also no relative' Moore - which is a shame as it utterly underplays his contribution to the Prog. For many the master of the done in one, introducing Future Shocks* AND Tales of Telguuth to the Prog. He's a true legend of the UK comic scene. Peter Hogan on the other hand has probably done some of his most famous work (outside of Tharg's so not relevant here) spinning off from the work of Moore. His recent contribution to Zaucer of Zilk, which qualified him for this tourney shows that with Tharg however bumpy his road he's still a class act.

*Is this true or just some bastard rumour in my addled memory?

Time for you to decide your favourite as the droids square up to the tee...

Steve Moore - more info
OR

Peter Hogan - more info

Remember for this tourney you have 5 votes to distribute as you please between these two artists, whole numbers only. So you can vote 5 - 0; 4 - 1; or 3 - 2; either way depending on how much more you like one artist's work over the other.

If you can't be doing with that just name your favourite - remember bold tags, or other ways of highlighting always appreciated - and I'll give them 3 votes and nowt to the other droid.

Three day votes, so this one ends morning of Thursday 24th June

Remember we only consider work for Tharg in these Tourneys

What the heck is all this about - well we have a thread for that

How does this voting work? Look here

I don't understand how this works, what are the rules of the Solhiem Cup - yep got ya covered there too

Anything else just ask and I'll make something up. Most importantly, have fun!

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Magnetica

I only vaguely remember Steve Moore's future shocks, but if they are the ones I think they are, a couple were brilliant.

But mostly on the basis of Peter Hogan's version of Robo-Hunter, Timehouse and Zaucer of Zilk, I'm going to score this:

Steve Moore 5 : 0 Peter Hogan.

Sorry they just weren't for me.

abelardsnazz

Steve Moore invented the Future Shocks and wrote some really great ones, plus i love pretty much all of Tales of Telguuth. I can't remember much about Peter Hogan's take on Robo-Hunter other than it being a improvement on the Millar version, which wasn't too difficult, and I remember enjoying Timehouse.

Steve Moore 4, Peter Hogan 1.

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

Moore 5
Hogan 0

Telguuth, Future Shocks. But for Telguuth alone he walks it.

SBT

Tomwe

rogue69

IndigoPrime

I fear this is going to be a drubbing for Hogan, but he's one of that group of droids that was treated very poorly by the Prog. His storytelling is quite gentle, which doesn't always fit in—and yet imagine that Resident Alien had found a home in the Prog...

Still, looking specifically at his 2000 AD work, his Strontium Dogs was too slow but starting to do interesting things, and the Hogan/Hughes Robo-Hunter reboot was really fun—a return to form after the disastrous Millar years. I recall Timehouse being quite nice, although it's been a while. Zilk? Quite nice (again), if not quite nailing the feel of Ewing. Still, I really hope there's room for more Hogan in the Prog in future.

Moore is important for creating a format, but I struggle to think of many individual one-shots he wrote, which isn't a good thing. I've not read Telguuth in years. Red Fang was quite good and deserved better though.

I'd split this evenly if I could, but I can't and so I'm going to be a little controversial in my scores in prizing what was memorable over other considerations:

Moore 2 // Hogan 3

AlexF

Surprisingly tough to call! I basically don't like any of Steve Moore's long series, but he HAS written some cracking one-offs, and Tales of Telguuth was consistently good (although the silly names grew trying).
Peter Hogan on the other hand hasn't written any one single thing that stands out as truly special, but it was kind of all pretty decent? Certainly Timehouse and Robo-Hunter were a breath of fresh air at the time they ran, and that goodwill goes a long way with me.

Think in the end a handful of winners is what counts, so I'm going for Moore 3, Hogan 2.

milstar

As few have said, Steve work on future shocks is seminal work and Telguuth was nothing short of masterpiece.

Steve 4
Peter 1

And 1 for Peter for managing to bring upward 2000ad after Millar drecks.
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

Link Prime

There was a period when Steve Moore was a consistent contributor to the Prog, and it was enjoyable having regular stories by a writer of his calibre.

That said, I have very fond memories of Ho-Gan's Strontium Dogs.

Hogan 3 / Moore 2

Dog Deever

Some of those Tales of Telguuth were okay, don't remember much else though. I do remember some of Hogan's stuff though.

Moore 1 Hogan 0
Just a little rough and tumble, Judge man.

JayzusB.Christ

I liked quite a bit of Hogan's stuff.  His Robo-Hunter may not have been Wagner, but it knocked the socks off Mark Millar's version.

I preferred most of his Stront stuff to Garth's too - demystifying the Lyran wizards and making the Gronk into the Terminator was just not cool; at least Pete let sleeping, er, dogs lie and took things in a totally new direction.

As far as I'm concerned, though, his best prog work was The Steel Claw in the 1992 Action Special.  Light on plot, maybe, but the dialogue and the tense, claustrophobic atmosphere was masterful.
Steve Moore - well, he must be someone's relative -was great, but never really stood out for me.

Pete 3, Steve 2
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Rogue Judge

Steve Moore 4 : Peter Hogan 1

Personally I love Future Shocks and don't view them as filler. Short and (often) effective stories, the more depressing or unpredictable the better!

paddykafka