Main Menu

2000AD: Project Sketchbook

Started by ming, 16 November, 2013, 04:44:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ming

Quote from: blackmocco on 18 November, 2013, 09:41:14 PM
The best part is that now everyone Ming asks to contribute is going to try to outdo everyone else. By the time he's finished, Brian Bolland will have contributed a three-mile long foldout...

Hah!   :lol:

Actually, I really don't want anyone to feel under any pressure to spend too much time on this.  I'll be as happy with fairly simple sketches as with more elaborate contributions, and when this started I really had no idea that it would develop into a veritable portable art collection.  Anyway, the contributions are all fantastic but by far the most rewarding aspect is the personal involvement of so many outstanding artists - Tharg's droids really are such a nice bunch of people.  Er, droids.

:)

ming

Frazer Irving

Ssssinnerrr...  Frazer's run on Judge Death was a real return to form for everybody's favourite undead superfiend; a perfect fit for Frazer's haunting style.

Staz Johnson

I don't think Nick Stone ever looked so good.  A great choice of character by Staz - I really love this one.

No more to add for now; if I can get scans of a few more (Jock, Arthur Ranson, more Henry Flint) I'll add them when I can. 
Meanwhile, it's back to the waiting game :)

Colin YNWA

Quote from: ming on 19 November, 2013, 03:03:55 PM

Staz Johnson

I don't think Nick Stone ever looked so good.  A great choice of character by Staz - I really love this one.

Ain't that the truth. I've never really thought much about wanting Nick Stone back but that picture makes me crave a return to the character. He just looks so hard, proper hard not 'The Rock' hard but you now run away if you spilled his pint hard. Fantastic!

Recrewt

Wow, what a fantastic idea Ming.  The quality of those sketches is amazing - particularly like that Colin Wilson Rogue.  Also love hearing about the contributors passing the book on at conventions and stuff - you should try and map out the journey that each book has taken. 

Top stuff!

malak brood

I love this thread! Ming, it's a great and worthy endeavour and you are reaping wonderful rewards!!!
The Ian Kennedy piece is such as stunner, the work on the plane's undercarriage...... The composition.... Very classy...... Lucky lucky boy !!
And the Colin Wilson RT page, so atmospheric. Instant classic ....

Love this thread ( I know I said that already but I love this thread.....)

Trout

How did I miss this thread? Love it, Ming, especially that piece of beauty from Ian Kennedy. Well done!

PhreakAD

Quote from: ming on 17 November, 2013, 09:52:29 AM
Thanks, folks!  It's been running for just under a year and is about a third done (2 x 24 page books), so maybe two more years to go?  If I get can get a sketch every couple of months (occasionally more frequently) I'll be more than happy.  Once I've posted pics of all the sketches I've seen so far, updates to the thread will be irregular!  There's a fair bit of organisation and juggling of schedules to do but mainly it's an exercise in patience.  Still, there's a lot of goodwill helping this along and it'll get there in the end.

A couple more...

Colin Wilson

Colin Wilson has been a favourite artist of mine since I first clapped eyes on his work on Dredd in the 1981 Sci-Fi special.  No-one beats Colin when it comes to future tech and he was a perfect fit for Rogue Trooper - his hoppers and atmocraft always blew me away.  I suggested a downed hopper with a teeny Rogue in the distance and he seemed to like the idea...  Colin definitely pulled out all the stops and the end result is phenomenal.

Dave Gibbons

What can I say?  Another legendary artist, another amazing contribution.  I got particularly lucky with the timing for this one as I suggested that Dave Gibbons might take the book after Colin, and Colin was able to hand it to him in person while they were both at Supanova in Sydney...

I have the privilege of hanging out with Colin once a month, and he's such a nice guy too! Great stuff.

ming

Quote from: Trout on 21 November, 2013, 01:09:22 AM
How did I miss this thread? Love it, Ming, especially that piece of beauty from Ian Kennedy. Well done!

Thanks, Trout - Ian's a gent through and through (as you well know) and it's incredible to see the work he's still capable of producing despite being no spring chicken.  It's been a privilege to have been in contact with him, and I know there's a huge amount of appreciation for his talent among his fellow artists so it's great to have been able to include him in this.  I hope that, as the books travel around and artists get to look at the various contributions, there's a little resonance with the days when artists crowded around in the Command Module to see the latest efforts from Bolland, McMahon, etc.  A little professional curiosity is probably helping to drive this forward, I think.

Quote from: PhreakAD on 21 November, 2013, 09:56:20 AMI have the privilege of hanging out with Colin once a month, and he's such a nice guy too! Great stuff.

I've only met Colin once (25 years ago) but occasional email chats with him over the past few years have never been anything less than a delight.  If he doesn't have a reputation as one of the Nicest Guys in Comics, he should.

ming

This just in from Edmund Bagwell...  I can first remember seeing Edmund's work in BLAAAM! (as E.C. Perriman) back in the late 80's and his style immediately made a big impression on me.  We've not seen nearly enough of him in the Prog but I'm sure his Indigo Prime work alone won him a lot of new admirers.  I'd love to see him take on Nemesis in strip form but as that's unfortunately unlikely, I'll settle for this beauty:

Colin YNWA

hippynumber1

IronGraham

We're werewolves not swearwolves

Fungus

This rivals the Colin Wilson.Thanks for posting  :)

Mikey

To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

Link Prime