Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Quote from: The Cosh on 23 January, 2012, 10:45:24 PM
Persepolis. Loved the animation style. Intensely disliked the central character/narrator/author/whatever combination thereof is appropriate thus could not fully engage with the story.

I haven't seen the film but loved the book, and I've heard a lot of people say they had the same reaction as The Cosh.  In the book it's very clear (to me, anyway) that you're not supposed to particularly like young Marjane, she's presented as a self-absorbed madam, as most of us are at those ages of course.  In the comic, this has the effect of giving her POV character a flawed normalcy, and more importantly lends her memoirs a real sense of authenticity - Satrapi is giving us a warts-and-all portrait of herself that is all-too believable, so by extension we trust that her very partial view of events is an accurate one too.  I gather the same effect isn't achieved in the less-intimate medium of animation.  Have to give the film a try and see for myself.

The granny is cool though.

Evil Pants

My reviews of Red Tails and Haywire:

http://fourcoloursandthetruth.wordpress.com/2012/01/23/movie-reviews-red-tails-and-haywire/

One of them is the worst on-screen abomination since Liz Taylor ate Richard Burton whole in the sequel to Cleopatra. The other is Haywire.
My opinions on comics can be found here: http://fourcoloursandthetruth.wordpress.com/

Webcomics, as written by me, can be found here: http://condoofmystery.com/

Devons Daddy

just watched Almost Famous,
yes its not a new movie, but i missed it when it was in the cinemas.then did not catch up with it till it was on iTunes for 99cents

What a great movie,with the tiny dancer on the bus being a bloody awesome scene.
truly enjoyable entertainment.
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

Gonk

Spinal Tap This is Spinal Tap

I really thought this was an actual docementary at first :lol:
coming at a cinema near you soon

Roger Godpleton

Coriolanus. Two hours of Greatest Living Englishperson Ralph Feinnes shouting at people. Vanessa Redgrave doing angry stares. A bunch of knife fights. See this movie now.

Haywire. Lots of fun. Soderbergh directs good in this movie. Fights are really cool looking. Not unlike Drive. Cool ending.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Gonk

That's an uptodate costume Coriolanus, looks good, bringing erudition to the masses.

On youtube I have been watching the 1954 animated film version of "Animal Farm". This is powerful stuff. Really makes you stand back and think.

Goaty

There is great western to watch/recording tonight at BBC1 Open Range.

Professor Bear

Blacula, which is better than you might expect.  Ropey in the usual 1970s way where it's not quite camp and takes itself maybe too seriously, despite clear budget problems that mean the window in someone's spare room has to double for a police station, but the guy who plays Blacula/Mamuwalde is awesome, as is the soundtrack.  Love it when Mamuwalde politely gets in racist Dracula's grill, too much of a gent to bring the hurt the occasion deserves and the exchange - which includes Dracula screaming "I curse you with an eternal lust for blood!" - ends as well as you might expect.
Fun, though.

Gonk

Charlton Heston version of "The Planet of the Apes". I notice this is similar to Frankenstein. Cornelius being an ape is far more intelligent and civilised than the shocked humes expect. Also in "Return..." the emphasis is on science making a mistake and creating a so called monster that resents the fact of it's own existence and the creators who bestowed life on it.

This has happened to George and his creation Star Wars.

Mudcrab

Quote from: Professah Byah on 25 January, 2012, 01:50:46 AM
Blacula, which is better than you might expect.  Ropey in the usual 1970s way where it's not quite camp and takes itself maybe too seriously, despite clear budget problems that mean the window in someone's spare room has to double for a police station, but the guy who plays Blacula/Mamuwalde is awesome, as is the soundtrack.  Love it when Mamuwalde politely gets in racist Dracula's grill, too much of a gent to bring the hurt the occasion deserves and the exchange - which includes Dracula screaming "I curse you with an eternal lust for blood!" - ends as well as you might expect.
Fun, though.

He he, that took me back to Futurama...

"[To Fry] There's only three real monsters, kid: Dracula, Blacula and Son of Kong. Now quit picking your nose and knead that dough!"
    ―Mr. Pannucci[
NEGOTIATION'S OVER!

Tiplodocus

RACE TO WITCH MOUNTAIN(or it might be called ESCAPE or RETURN)

As the title suggests, it's just a race/chase piece hampered by the fact that they have
a) no budget and
b) The Rock not knowing how he is meant to be playing it.
but I'm actually enjoying it (not quite made it to the end yet...)
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Satanist

The scene in the Guard at the payoff had me howling with laughter!

[spoiler]"Is the Money all there."

"Well ofcourse its fucking all there, this is the payoff. Why would I arrange this meeting then not bring the fucking money..." etc[/spoiler]

A very good movie that I somehow put off watching for no good reason.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

mygrimmbrother

Warhorse. Had to turn it off after about half an hour. Utter dross, and I don't believe Spielberg even left his house during the entire production. What a missed opportunity.

TordelBack

Quote from: mygrimmbrother on 25 January, 2012, 01:48:38 PM
Utter dross, and I don't believe Spielberg even left his house during the entire production.

A case of the absentee director meets the absentee cinemagoer.  I hear Beckett had that plot in mind for his next one.

Gonk

The 1965 classic "Battle of the Bulge".  Along with Henry Fonda and Robert Shaw, tough guys Charles Bronson and Telly Savalas give sterling performances. Even Judge Dredd could learn a thing from these guys.
An entertaining two hours.