Main Menu

Blood of Satanus 2

Started by SmallBlueThing, 15 April, 2011, 08:06:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmallBlueThing

Okay, right, i know this is one of those things one isnt supposed to admit to here on the forum, but ive just reread blood of satanus 2, and grud help me i love it!

Predicting a fairly dull evening at work, i grabbed a couple of inches of old megs to bring with me, and b.o.s2 just happened to be in there. First up, pat really doesnt give a toss about how youre 'supposed' to do things, does he? Everyone else who writes dredd from time to time seems to adopt wagner's 'voice' to some degree. Not our pat, by crikey no. It's utterly, gloriously mad, as far removed from the gritty almost-reality of wagner's dredd as is possible to get. This is probably why my reading of that film script upset me so much, as i think i want a dredd full of mentalisms and madcap ideas thrown at the audience. I'm just not intersted in drug dealers; men turning into dinosaurs is so much more fun!

Duke mighten's art is magnificent. I love his layouts, and even his stubbly karl urban-alike dredd looks right. The dialogue is arch, melodramatic and hilarious. It's pure pat mills; always far more clever than it first appears. "I get my fun cleaning my gun" is completely brilliant, and used in a great close two-shot to show dredd brusquely shutting up yabbering judges, it becomes an absolute killer put-down. Genius.

I cant remember from b.o.s3, but is dredd ever revealed to be one of these 'ancient elder' humans- the 'black nobles', as the three panel close-up of his boot seems to suggest?

Im looking out book 3 as soon as i get home. Why cant pat write dredd more often?

SBT

O Lucky Stevie!

It's great fun, isn't it? For the exact reasons that you have identified. Al Ewing does something similar. Lo, he has walked the streets of MC1 but he's reporting what he's seen to us in his own distinct voice.

Stevie couldn't see what all the hue & cry was about over BOS2 at the time of publication.

QuoteWhy cant pat write dredd more often?

Shall we ask him on Facebook?
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"