Main Menu

UNDT Round 3, Heat 12: Nemesis Vs Zenith

Started by Colin YNWA, 02 September, 2020, 06:21:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

The idea had at first seemed like a Khaotic bit of fun. The human's little game had seemed like a fun distraction. And yes 'the hero' had been sneering at the way he spelt khaos but he'd let him have his fun. After all he was 'The shape of things to come" the "Deathbringer" and all that what did it matter. But as the human walked onto the stage up, to the mike, his guitar slung casually across his shoulder, he oozed a cocky swagger that made even the warlock doubt himself. Maybe a Karaoke contest wasn't the best way to resolve this.

Then he started to sing.

And he remembered 'He was the shape of things to come", this bloke was yesterday's news and really pretty bad...

Nemesis (Nemesis the Warlock) - more info

OR

Zenith (Zenith) -  more info

Leave the name of the character you like most in a reply to this thread and I'll count up and call the winner early in the morning Saturday 5th September.

'Rules' and what not, for what they are worth

And there's more about the structure of the tournament to be read

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

The lord of the flies wins everytime
That overrated Marvelman/ Captain Britain ripoff can do one.

SBT

abelardsnazz

Nemesis, Lord of the Flies, shows flyboy Zenith what fighting for the oppressed really means and gains another vote.

AlexF

JayzusB.Christ

Hmmm. I loved the old Nemesis stories with a passion, but they began to decline after the Hicklenton ones - too much of the tell-don't-show stuff Mills loved at the time - 'I am evil too! Look at me! I'm not good!  This is moral complexity, y'all!'

I love Zenith too.  Twice in my life the story left me feeling awestruck - once the first time round (with the giant hand reveal) and then a few years ago with a re-read and an internet-fuelled understanding of how Phase 4 links everything together in time and space.

So Zenith for me, even if he didn't have that much to do in his own stories.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Tomwe

Given I put him top thrill in the other chart it'll have to be Nemesis!

The Enigmatic Dr X

Jeezo. You are all wrong.

Zenith, obviously.

A glorious era-relevant romp, Tooth's only ever superhero (ie superpowered) character, a response to the Marvel/ DC cross overs and inter-dimensional horror.

Which reminds me that Davey Candlish and I did this... ten and a half years ago!

Quote from: Daveycandlish on 20 February, 2010, 04:49:06 PM

Lock up your spoons!

paddykafka

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

sheridan

Magnetica

I just love Zenith. I just love the self-centred, borderline cowardly attitude. He also had one of the best pieces of dialogue in the Prog ever: "me? Sacrifice myself? You must be joking!"

But this is Nemesis we are talking about. Just one of the coolest ever series. Thing is how much of that was the world, how much of that was Kev O'Neill's art, how much of that was Torquemada and how much of that was actually Nemesis himself?

He turned out to be actually not very likeable at all.

When I started writing this I was going to vote Nemesis but now I'm not sure.

Zenith - flawed, charismatic lead who carries the series

Nemesis - slightly dull lead in coolest series ever.

You know what? I have convinced myself:

Zenith

gets my vote.

rogue69

sheridan

Quote from: Magnetica on 02 September, 2020, 12:37:44 PM
He turned out to be actually not very likeable at all.

The problem is that (taken out of context) that quote could apply to either - this is a face-off of characters you wouldn't actually want to know in real life :)

Magnetica

Oh I don't know. Zenith is the one AD character you could happily go for a pint with. You might end up having to pay, but at least no actual harm would come to you.

Colin YNWA

Another one that's not entirely cut and dry so votes for either of these big hitters could make difference when I count up early tomorrow morning.