Main Menu

STARBLAZER

Started by ARRISARRIS, 06 January, 2004, 08:48:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Floyd-the-k

pardon my ignorance, but what is/was Starblazer?

paulvonscott

I had a load at one time (well, about 30 or 40 and gave them to the charity shop).  Have picked up a few since, but generally read them and pass them on. They are entertaining to varying degrees, but they don't usuaully tell much of a story in their pages.  I like the DC Thompson format though.  I'd be interested in knowing which ones were Alan Moore ones.  At one point I had a few of the Grant Morrison ones, but to be honest I had to be told they were by him, they are all a bit homogenous.

stront692

remember the dandy/beano and commando comic libraries

well starblazer was in this format but with sci fi stories

really good too, one of my faves - it ran until 1995 at a rate of two a month then commando went down to two a month and started and started reprinting, i think the lack of published issues meant they cancelled starblazer (rather than reprint)

alien battleship and halleys comet (with a guy running away from a comet, close up on his face)

starscape

I'd love to see DCT reprint their old material in that format.

I've been discussing the possibility of DCT bringing out a webcomic of their material.  They've given me permission to develop a prototype so here's hoping (obviously a printed comic would be better but if that's not going to happen...).

Chris
www.starscapecomic.co.uk

esoteric ed

I may consider selling or trading mine if I can find where they are again.

JAWS items most welcome :-)

Ed

stront692

soory didnt finish my last post, the two stories mentioned contain work scripted by alan moore

ARRISARRIS

What i also love about them are the complete story in one sitting, i've found a couple of issues in the evening just before bed really does the trick.

ARRISARRIS

Hi again.
Does anyone know the exact issue of Comic World the feature was in. Any help will be gratefully received.

stront692

i cant remember sorry, but every issue had an british artist or writer interview and in their synopsis it tells u what issues they did of the great and mighty starblazer

(so look for alan amoore issue, steve bissette, alan grant and p[ossibly the judge dredd or 2000ad issues as a lot of the creators were the same)

ARRISARRIS

Ive just remembered something, in the later issues of Starblazer there appeared a character callled Starhawk, now didnt he also appear in a another D. C. Thomson comic around about 1983 called Spike. But which came first???

stront692

starhawk in starblazer was a revamp of the earlier 'planet tamer' character introduced in issue 40

planet tamer was one of the only earlier charcters to enjoy 3 adventures

starhawk had 5 i think

what year was spike published???

stront692

hang on - spike u say

i think i have some of them to hand...

stront692

its the same character and creative team, i will just check the starblazers

stront692

its the same character and creative team rom planet tamer in spike circa 1983,

the starblazer starhawk is from 1987 and has a new creative team

stront692

sorry double posted there a few times but hope that helps

other characters with more than 1 appearance (besides mikal r kayn, who becomes semi regular) are robot kid (2), grok and zero (5), skaar (2), mandroid with lots of appearances later on and a sword and sorcery trilogy