Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keef Monkey

Watched Jigsaw at the weekend, because I missed it in the cinema and after watching the previous 75 Saw movies (or however many there are) I'm in way too deep to turn back. It wasn't the worst in the series but it did just remind me of how cool and tight that first movie was way back in the day, and how the more convoluted and tangled up in its mythology it all became, the further it got from that simple, brilliant concept of the original. It passed the time though.

Got to Jason Goes To Hell: The Final Friday on my Friday 13th rewatch and it turns out this is one of the ones I've seen and have a vague memory of. I found it one of the better ones, in that it really doesn't take itself very seriously and embraces the silliness. After a pretty wild opening it takes a bit too long to get to the fun stuff, but the finale is clearly going for a bit of a madcap Evil Dead vibe [spoiler](complete with a Necronomicon cameo!) [/spoiler]which makes the last chunk a bit of a hoot. It's just a shame it didn't have that energy throughout, it feels like it only really comes alive towards the end.

It is not the final Friday at all, so next up will be Jason X which I know for sure I've seen a bunch of times already (the rest all blur together in my memory but being set in space is hard to forget).

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 13 May, 2019, 09:37:36 AM

It is not the final Friday at all, so next up will be Jason X which I know for sure I've seen a bunch of times already (the rest all blur together in my memory but being set in space is hard to forget).

It's also, imo, got one of the best kills of the series [spoiler]the liquid ice shatter kill[/spoiler]

Keef Monkey

Quote from: Mattofthespurs on 13 May, 2019, 03:01:13 PM
Quote from: Keef Monkey on 13 May, 2019, 09:37:36 AM

It's also, imo, got one of the best kills of the series [spoiler]the liquid ice shatter kill[/spoiler]

Yes, that's an absolute classic! As far as best kills the ones that really stick in the memory are that, [spoiler]the sleeping bag against the tree kill and him punching that guy's head clean off in Jason Takes Manhattan.[/spoiler] It's a shame most of the films don't really come up with many imaginative kills like that, it all gets a bit repetitive when it's just stabbing after stabbing.

Keef Monkey

I did watch Jason X last night, and it turns out I'd forgotten more than I remembered so it was a fun watch. I'd probably say it's my favourite of the lot actually, and probably the only one I wholeheartedly enjoyed and didn't find a bit of a slog for large portions.

It's so trashy and ridiculously daft, but in the right way and knows exactly what it is and that makes it way more fun than the others. You get short bursts of that knowing B-movie tone in the rest of the films, but they tend to be quite fleeting and buried among a lot of surprisingly dull stalking and slashing. Jason X totally revels in its own silliness and is a hoot for it.

Guess I just have Freddy vs Jason to go now, which I did see in the cinema and thought was a good laugh, although all I can really remember is that Kelly Rowland was in it for some reason.

Mattofthespurs

John Wick: Chapter 3 – Parabellum

This basically the 'boss fight' after the first 2 films.

It contains very little dialogue and lots and lots and lots of death. I loved it.

Taken on it's own it's not very good but as the 3rd part of a piece it does exactly what you expect.

I'm shallow. So sue me.

Keef Monkey

I loved John Wick 3, it has the most inventive action scenes of the series yet, looks incredible and is fantastically choreographed to the point where they've been confident enough to just let the camera show you the fight happening, instead of shaking it around like crazy and cutting every second to try and cover the cracks. A lot like The Raid movies in that regard, and for me that's very, very high praise indeed. It even has some of the actors from The Raid in it and doing some great work, it was pretty exciting to see them pop up in the background and know that meant a great fight was lined up for later!

Looks stylish as hell and the sound design is fantastic, as someone who spends a lot of time and work putting music to action it feels self-defeating to be saying this, but the way they pull all the music out for long stretches of the action scenes without it ever feeling like something is missing is really impressive. They're happy to let the gunshots and impacts fill the space and again it shows massive confidence in those action scenes being thrilling through the quality of their staging, without feeling like they need to overload your senses to simulate excitement.

Suffice to say I was pretty blown away, looking forward to another watch!

Mattofthespurs

I watched it again yesterday. Twice in 24 hours.

It stood up, in fact I enjoyed it just as much. So much happens so quickly it demands at least 2 viewings.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 20 May, 2019, 09:59:36 AMThey're happy to let the gunshots and impacts fill the space and again it shows massive confidence in those action scenes being thrilling through the quality of their staging,

I read a hilarious thing in an interview with Chad Stahelski recently: the signature long unbroken takes in the first movie's fight scenes were largely the result of the very limited budget — they only had camera and often the first guy to die had to run round behind the camera and come back on from the other side to get killed again at the end of the sequence.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Keef Monkey

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 20 May, 2019, 11:16:31 AM
Quote from: Keef Monkey on 20 May, 2019, 09:59:36 AMThey're happy to let the gunshots and impacts fill the space and again it shows massive confidence in those action scenes being thrilling through the quality of their staging,

I read a hilarious thing in an interview with Chad Stahelski recently: the signature long unbroken takes in the first movie's fight scenes were largely the result of the very limited budget — they only had camera and often the first guy to die had to run round behind the camera and come back on from the other side to get killed again at the end of the sequence.

That's awesome! Taking a low budget and using the limitations to make something cool, love it.

It's such a big series now I always forget the first film was one of those lower budget films that only really found its audience on dvd. To go from that to apparently knocking Endgame down the charts this week is pretty amazing.

Mattofthespurs

I read a hilarious thing in an interview with Chad Stahelski recently: the signature long unbroken takes in the first movie's fight scenes were largely the result of the very limited budget — they only had camera and often the first guy to die had to run round behind the camera and come back on from the other side to get killed again at the end of the sequence.

If memory serves, and it often doesn't, he said that in the disc commentary. Ingenious use of his means. It's got pretty poor reviews in the mainstream press but I think that's because they don't have much of a sense of humour when it comes to films of this ilk.

In both the screenings I attended the laughter at most of the inventive killings was very loud.

Keef Monkey

Quote from: Mattofthespurs on 20 May, 2019, 03:47:08 PM

If memory serves, and it often doesn't, he said that in the disc commentary. Ingenious use of his means. It's got pretty poor reviews in the mainstream press but I think that's because they don't have much of a sense of humour when it comes to films of this ilk.

In both the screenings I attended the laughter at most of the inventive killings was very loud.

Same here, people were really audibly reacting to the fights and laughing at the over the top kills, and when the film finished there was actually some light applause which is a rare thing. Think the last time I saw an action movie get cheers and applause was The Raid, but that was a Saturday night film festival thing so for a movie to get anything like that kind of reaction at 10am on a Sunday morning is pretty impressive.

TordelBack

The Meg. Incredibly, an attempt to cash in on the success of Sharknado, but without the laughs and originality. Best bit by far was Pim's Thai cover of 'Hey Mickey', although I suppose we enjoyed Pippin the dog a bit too. Answer to the question "how do you make a boring film about Megalodons eating only ugly people?'.

Professor Bear

SHAZAM! - feels less like a superhero movie and more like one of those YA adaptations of a book series you've never heard of, right up until it turns into a Disney Channel movie.  That sounds like I thought it was mince, but I enjoyed it.  The whole family angle feels cynically constructed (unlike the themes in all the other organic, arthouse superhero movies that get released), but is also something different for superhero movies and DC flicks in particular, which tend to favor snarky jackasses going it alone.  In my heart I sort of know that the execs just banged Superman and Deadpool together and then made everything PG13, but while this lasts it's pretty good fun.

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: TordelBack on 20 May, 2019, 08:01:52 PM
The Meg. Incredibly, an attempt to cash in on the success of Sharknado, but without the laughs and originality. Best bit by far was Pim's Thai cover of 'Hey Mickey', although I suppose we enjoyed Pippin the dog a bit too. Answer to the question "how do you make a boring film about Megalodons eating only ugly people?'.

Watched this at the cinema (it was a slow week) and then again on SKY recently. Stupid dumb ass of a film but fun all the same. It's a monster movie pure and simple. And yes, that rendition of 'Hey Mickey' over the closing credits did make me leave the cinema with a smile.