Main Menu

Valkyries

Started by IndigoPrime, 16 February, 2004, 07:46:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndigoPrime

So, uh, when did 2000 AD get into league with Channel 5 and The Sun? Any possibility of 2000 AD appealing to kids just went right out the window. Panel 4 on p3 is just shameless.

Oh, and Steve Moore, if you're going to use patronymic suffixes AT LEAST SPELL THEM CORRECTLY. Thank you.

Mangamax

Yep, what IP said. I've a dreaded Space Girls sense of deja vu coming on
The perspective on that chairs all wrong

Thread Zero

I have to admit that this is the first strip since the Fleisher era that I've given up reading before the end of the first episode.

Quirkafleeg

you bunch of miseries... best thing in the prog!

paulvonscott

"patronymic suffixes"

I went to a fucking terrible comprehensive, what's one of those?

Dudley

Something that indicates your male parentage, like "Gunderson".  Or like "von", I think.

paulvonscott

I see... cheers.  Another shadow of ignorance has been banished from my twilight mind.

Wake

Misspelt?

One of my colleagues at work here is called Freyja Birgisdottir. I think she's from Iceland.

Wake

Dudley

BTW, Paul - where does "von Scott" come from?  It's a cool name, but unusual in that (I think) it yokes together Germanic and Anglophonic naming traditions.

paulvonscott

It comes from the land of madey uppy Dudley.

On my old internet website I had an austrian chthulhu agony uncle called Dr Von Scott (rathwe similar to the Rocky Horror Picture Show's Dr Von Scott, although I always assumed he was had changed his name to Dr Scott and Frankenfurter was commenting on the fact he used to be a Nazi rocket scientist).  I later used it as a character in a boardgame, but I'll change it if I get it published as I don't want my name in the title,.  I also use it because Paul Scott is common, and I never have a problem getting Paulvonscott on messageboards and the like.

IndigoPrime

As mentioned, patronymic suffixes denote lineage via a parent's name, rather than via surnames. Therefore, your father's name (or sometimes your mother's name) has "son" or "daughter" appended to it, depending on the gender of the person in question. Such things occur in British names, but only in an historical context (e.g. Johnson was originally a patronymic name - lit: John's son).

Iceland is one of the few countries to still use this system. The female suffix should be d?ttir, not merely dottir.

Oddly, you often have cyclic naming in Iceland, with children being named after their grandparents. Perhaps more bizarrely, from a foreigner's point of view, families can have several "surnames", because the mother and father take their parents' names, yet the children take (typically) the father's name. And, of course, if the offspring are of mixed gender, they have different "surnames".

Wake

So you're complaining about a missing accent in a story based in the 'far future'.

However, I just checked and I did put the accent in on Freyja's pigeonhole label, just not her Internet staff page.

Wake

pauljholden

But it's fecking gorgeous.

stront692

Art

Bjorktastic!

(or rather, Bj?rktastic!)