Main Menu

Prog 2370 - Fire it up!

Started by Colin YNWA, 17 February, 2024, 09:12:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Well the good news was this was that rarest of beasts a Friday Prog - can't remember the last time one of them was seen.

The bad news is for one reason or another I've not had a chance to read it before today.

Oh cruel fate why do you mock me so...

...what when I got and read my Prog isn't important to you... you don't what... give a damn you just want to know how good it is... well really...

Okay okay. Well the first thing to note is this is an artist triumph. I mean you have Henry Flint, Lee Carter (all be it a litte dark), Eduardo Ocana, Dave Kendall and Simon Davis. I mean how good and how diverse is that. Just superb stuff.

The stories don't quite live up to that standard alas, I mean they're pretty good overall just not quite THAT good.

Dredd remains tensely superb, all be it the confrontation between Maitland and Hernandez gets off to a bit of a false start.

Indigo Prime slips back for a Prologue to set up why we have Tyranny Rex back. Cheeky fun stuff.

Full Tilt Boogie twists intriguingly without giving us too much but is very good... I think...

Fall of Deadworld lost me last time and to be honest doesn't do anything much to make me want to get back on board this time. We'll see but I worry about this one.

Thistlebone remains cruelly brilliant

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

broodblik

Tell me lies sweet little lies cover – If I did not see the logo I would have though that I am reading the next installment of Ghost Rider
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

PsychoGoatee

Nicolas Cage should voice Judge Fire in a movie sometime none the less.

IndigoPrime

Hmm. Bit of a slip in excitement for me with this one, primarily because of two series I really want to love but that I'm struggling with.

Dredd remains the standout. I hope it sticks the landing. Williams/Wyatt and Flint have created something that for me is properly top-tier Dredd, even if I still wonder what, if any, long-term impact the story might have. (Perhaps the one problem with Dredd now Wagner's largely off the strip.) I'm still concerned Maitland and/or her project will be defeated/removed from play, and we'll be back to the states quo, with a gruff Dredd sending Hernandez to Titan, nuking Glenn's sale (and chucking him into an iso-cube), and saying "At least she tried." (TBF, if this was a Wagner Dredd, you could imagine a satirical ending where the Chief Judge changes one very tiny thing in honour of what happened at 304. "In recognition, we're now increasing our spend on social services by 0.26%.")

Still, I'm very happy with the now and am sure this series will warrant re-reads in the future. And a nice webshop HC, please, Tharg.

Indigo Prime was always right on the edge of being comprehensible when written by John Smith. But Kek-W flirts with crossing that line more than most. It too often feels like a strip that I'm sure he could explain in the pub over a pint and you'd be "Oh, right", but what's on the page remains opaque. I know all the names. But I'm still not quite sure what's going on. Maybe that's the point. And, honestly, I find it a strange decision to have Johnny Depp (in all but name) playing any major part of a 2000 AD strip, but there you go.

Full Tilt Boogie remains excellent. Good characters. Simple but compelling storytelling. I hope it won't be so long until the next book.

And then... Deadworld:

Quotebut I worry about this one

It's such a strange series. I loved those dreamlike reimaginings of the Dark Judges. That first proper Deadworld series was chilling. Finally, I thought, the Dark Judges are being done right. It felt focused and horrible. I had to have it in collected form.

The most recent (third) collected volume was the first where I felt I was veering towards completism. By then, the strip was starting to unravel. A loss of focus. That shift from horror to references, like an Elseworlds Dredd. And in the Prog, Death is now just a dick. He doesn't feel like an authentic threat. This latest episode managed to combine the cliche of the big bad getting away because of a scuffle, and then ended with something that felt far too close to the 'comedy dark judges' angle that I loathe.

It still looks fantastic. Kendall is doing sterling work. But I wish I liked this a lot more than I currently do, and I hope it ramps up the horror and dials down the references and the camp again. I don't want a Prog packed with relentless misery and horror. But a strip veering between horror and silliness loses its ability to retain the former.

Speaking of horror, Thistlebone remains nasty in the details (the crow's meal – and note its eye) and the backstory of the protagonist. Another five pages of yikes. But this one does feel focused and works fully within its own reality. I don't feel two of the leads are suddenly going to don silly outfits.

So not quite a Prog with all guns blazing for me. But three greats and two 'readables' isn't bad for an anthology and I hope the Kek-W strips will win me back.

Dredd > Full Tilt Boogie > Thistlebone > Indigo Prime = Deadworld

Barrington Boots

Saturday Prog again here! I thought this was better than last week.

Dredd is still a brilliant, tense read and the real world parallels give it a nasty edge. I'm less confident about Maitland kicking ass and solving everything than I was last week. Part of the tension comes from the Dredd reader knowing her plan is almost certainly doomed due to the impact it could have on the status quo... but I really want her to succeed, things to be shaken up. I'm starting to think Major Domo will pop up and kill her. This is a terrific Dredd so far.

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 19 February, 2024, 11:39:36 AMIn recognition, we're now increasing our spend on social services by 0.26%

This would be SUCH a Wagner ending.

Indigo Prime Interesting. I wasn't impressed to see Depp and thought this episode started a bit eyeroll-y but the shift to Bateman and subsequent direction made things a bit more interesting. I don't care about Tyranny Rex but I'm hoping for a good, slightly confusing story here: I think Indigo Prime works when you can follow the story, but there's masses of unexplained stuff going on in the background, so there's potential here. Oh and great to have Lee Carter back!

Full Tilt Boogie Unlike Indigo Prime, very clear storytelling. Doesn't move along much, but looks great.

Fall of Deadworld I have similar feelings to IP above: I loved the early, horror-heavy stuff on this strip and at some point it all got a bit... derpy. Death is useless in this episode and finishes it by zooming off riding pillion on a motorbike dressed as a dentist. It won't take much to get this back on track to being great again, but this episode wasn't it.

Thistlebone is also really strong. The backstory is horrific, but that panel with the crow is the top skincrawler this episode: the eye in the flesh staring out whilst below Callum is effectively one-eyed from his stitches. Horrible stuff, can't wait to see what happens next.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

broodblik

The Monarch

it does explain why rex was acting off in the last episode of indigo prime we had. so thats fun

broodblik

A strange type of prog where we should feel refreshed with new stories on board, but everything feels so mid run. Not bad but not great as well just hovering in the middle.

Dredd – A lot of focus on talking which feels more like a delicate chess game where no one wants to communicate its next move, but we do get some hints here. Hernandez looks like he might have been involved in the whole Mojo Domo saga. Cannot see that this can wrap in the next 2 weeks or so.

Indigo Prime – Not sure what to make of this episode maybe it is the fact that the series is returning after a long absence but let's see how it unfolds. Lee Carter is always a joy to have in the prog.

Full Tilt Boogie – This episode focuses more on exploring the ship and some hints of something sinister waiting for Tee. Another good episode.

Deadworld – At this stage De'ath does not feel like we should fear him, he feels more like a creep. I just want the story to go back to what it made good in the first place. It does feel like it is a little bit directionless.

Thistlebone – The plot is not moving forward as we are more focused on the backstory of Callum. Just a slight dip here for me.

broodblik

I believe that next week Dredd, The Better World will warp after I have read the following statement: Rebellion are definitely fanning the flames for 2000AD Prog 2371, out at the end of this month (28th February), and the Press Corps of the Galaxy's Greatest Comic have given us strict orders, perhaps from Dredd himself, that blabbing anything comes with harsh penalties...

norton canes

I'm with IndigoPrime on this prog - 'A Better World' and Thistlebone spot on, Full Tilt Boogie pretty lovely, Deadworld sadly straying from its USP. Ironically I'm not with Indigo Prime in this prog - in fact I've never really liked it, not in its John Smith or Kek-W incarnations. Sorry.

IndigoPrime

Rob says A Better World is nine episodes. So BIG THING in 2371 and presumably fallout and/or wrap-up and/or "to be continued" in 2372. Fingers crossed, eh?

Max Headroom

A slightly disappointing Prog for me this week. I used to really look forward to reading 'Deadworld', but I feel it has  lost its way and a lot of it is confusing to know who is who and what is going on. Definitely room for improvement with this one. Even the two better strips this week, 'Dredd' and 'Thistlebone', I felt were not as strong as usual.

Magnetica

I now have literally no clue what's happening in Deadworld.

Sidney's inhabiting his fathers corpse? Hmmm I must have missed that. I have 3 collected volumes and could reread them; not sure how much enthusiasm I can summon up for that.

And oh joy Indigo Prime is back. Let's see how many weeks it will be before I'm totally lost on that too. Up thread was a comment on Tranny Rex's last appearance. I can't remember that, so I'm off to a bad start.

Elsewhere FTB and Dredd continue with average episodes.

As for Thistlebone well I didn't see that coming. Not sure the flashback art needed to be that basic, but the story was truly horrible. Which I guess was the whole point.

broodblik

Quote from: Magnetica on 23 February, 2024, 09:20:21 AMSidney's inhabiting his fathers corpse? Hmmm I must have missed that. I have 3 collected volumes and could reread them; not sure how much enthusiasm I can summon up for that.

Prog 2355 the first page talks about his reborn into his father's body. You have to go way back to prog 2162 in the story Sidney where in the last page he possess his father's body.