Main Menu

MEGAZINE 268

Started by mogzilla, 04 February, 2008, 04:43:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoD

I was dissapointed this month, weakest for a while for me.  Found Tempest a little bit 'wordy' too, although it was the highlight of the prog for me.

TordelBack

The articles were the best bit for me this week - they were all solidly interesting.  I'm not sure whether that's a good thing for the Meg, it certainly isn't for Playboy.  

I'm enjoying Tempest - file under "good different".

Armitage is okay, I actually like the art, but I wish it would get a move on - Treasure Steel's domestics just aren't that interesting.  Oooh wait, she's a feisty lesbian.   No, still not interesting.  

Bob TGM is meh-ish, but amusing.

Barely got through the Dredd, although the art was interesting.  That Smudge really doesn't like drawing eyes, does he?

Dog Deever

I like the art too, but I'm finding the story a bit like pulling teeth. No amount of dynamic art could penetrate it's ponderous...ness! I agree that Steel is a bit dull but isn't Armitage also?

I was thinking the same thing about Smudge and the eye thingy- I think there's only one panel where someones eyes are actually seen. I haven't gotten into this Dredd story at all.

Alan Grant interview was a good enough read- frank and humorous.

I didn't bother with the rest of the text stuff. It bores me rigid.

Bob I'm liking. Never read it before, so it's a good reprint as far as I'm concerned.

Tempest is an odd one- I'm quite enjoying the story, but it doesn't feel like a Dreddworld one. I just can't get to grips with a Ninja Judge. Couldn't it have just been a judge with martial arts, but in a proper judge uniform? Somebody said that there was nobody to root for, I have to agree that I'm not really bothered about any of the characters so far- but it's a good enough read.

Just a little rough and tumble, Judge man.

Bad Andy

I disagree. I like Tempest. A proper looney, which I  think has been pretty well written and drawn so far.

I'm rooting for him, but I think it was right to have him alongside a normal protagonist. Think of how better the first Dirk Gently book (which focused on a regular guy) was compared to the second one (which concentrated on the maverick Dirk). The latter took away some of the magic of the character because we could see the working out.

TordelBack

The latter took away some of the magic of the character because we could see the working out.

Good point, Bad Andy.  Although in its favour the sequel does boast one of the all time great titles, which rattles round my head in a mocking fashion whenever I'm feeling sorry for myself.

Huey2

Man, that Dredd story was dire.

Following a case full of money around had some potential IF each stop-off point had been interesting. They weren't. Nothing unusual or imaginative happened at the various points and the characters were marginally more interesing than the case of money. So instead of a story what we got was an illustrated version of a Routemaster print-out.

Add to that two really stupid moments: Dredd being outrun by a mortally wounded criminal and not thinking of following the trail of blood. And then finding the corrupt Judge with no given explanation.

I like Morrison's stuff when he remembers to tell an actual story but this was poor.

satchmo

Tempest set himself on fire before a fight! Priceless.

Alan Grant interview was great, loved the Romero piece, I'd forgotten Bruiser even existed I must try and track it down. Coincidentally I was watching the new Creepshow DVD the other day too, it's brilliant.

Bob was great fun, Dredd and Armo a bit meh but not bad.

I'm liking this lineup.