Main Menu

SuperImam?

Started by Dog Deever, 13 September, 2009, 08:54:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dog Deever

This may have been posted already, but the board moves so fast these days I find it hard to keep up...

Has anyone seen this...
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/cartoons/6059421/Worlds-first-Muslim-superheroes-the-99-are-headed-for-British-television-screens.html
Just a little rough and tumble, Judge man.

Colin YNWA

Have these fella's been around for ages or is the Telegraphs claim that they are the first Muslim superheroes just lazy journalism?

Dog Deever

I love the idea that there are 99 of them- one for each one of Allah's attributes, nutty as fuck!
Just a little rough and tumble, Judge man.

Mardroid

Quote from: Dog Deever on 13 September, 2009, 10:12:24 PM
I love the idea that there are 99 of them- one for each one of Allah's attributes, nutty as fuck!

Strictly speaking they aren't:

QuoteHowever, despite being called the 99, there will never be a full cast of 99 superheroes since it is forbidden to depict all Allah's attributes

... although the nutty part might be right. Not that I'm putting down Islam mind...

I saw clips from a really dodgy superhero series based around Christianity a while back. I grew up in a Christian household and I have respect for a lot of the values and beliefs but this programme was really embarrassing, although it did make me chuckle. (Albeit probably from the wrong reasons.)

uncle fester

I'm surprised no one's done this before really. Every major religion is ripe for a decent comic book twist/slant without getting too preachy.

Dark Jimbo

@jamesfeistdraws

TordelBack

Hmmm, Judaism has Superman, but who does Christianity have?  The X-Men? (aside from the giveaway cross in the name, they have any number of spin-off teams with subtly different ethos, they're aloud to repeatedly turn evil and then be forgiven, and when they sacrifice themselves for a world that doesn't understand them they're usually back from the dead in about three days).

Emperor

There is more here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_99

I heard about it because they had attracted quite a lot of comic talent to work on it, like John McCrea (did this come up in his Megazine interview?).

Quote from: TordelBack on 14 September, 2009, 01:27:02 PM
Hmmm, Judaism has Superman

Which might make the upcoming JLA/99 crossover... interesting.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

SamuelAWilkinson

Hmmm, Judaism has Superman, but who does Christianity have?

Jesus?
Nobody warned me I would be so awesome.

Jim_Campbell

Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

House of Usher

Hmmm, Judaism has Superman, but who does Christianity have?

Battle Pope?
STRIKE !!!

Mike Gloady

Hmmm, Judaism has Superman, but who does Christianity have?  The X-Men? (aside from the giveaway cross in the name, they have any number of spin-off teams with subtly different ethos, they're aloud to repeatedly turn evil and then be forgiven, and when they sacrifice themselves for a world that doesn't understand them they're usually back from the dead in about three days).
Wet myself (figuratively, not literally) at that.  Brilliant.

Who do we atheists have?
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

House of Usher

Atheist superheoes? Hmm. Aren't we spoilt for choice?
STRIKE !!!

Bouwel

QuoteBattle Pope?

Has potential for marketing. You could sell 'Pope-On-A-Rope-Soap' or, failing that, 'Jesus Orange (King of the Juice)'.

I'll get me coat.

-Bouwel-
-A person's mind can be changed by reading information on the internet. The nature of this change will be from having no opinion to having a wrong opinion-

TordelBack

Quote...they're aloud to repeatedly turn evil..

My brain.  My beautiful brain.  Once we were unstoppable.  Now, this. I blame Cheryl Cole (assuming she's the cute one),