Main Menu

2000ad suspected IP infringement thread

Started by The Enigmatic Dr X, 06 August, 2010, 12:48:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Amstor Computer

This can't be legit, can it? These comics aren't public domain by any stretch of the imagination, even if the rights on some aren't immediately clear. Can't see any clear way to report this to eBay, but worth posting here, I think:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bumper-ACTION-Comic-STARLORD-TORNADO-139-Comics-DVD-2000-AD-related-/190727728085

Spikes

At the bottom of the listing;
eBay legal - The materials on each disc have been determined to be in the public domain after having been thoroughly researched. Absolutely no copyrights are infringed. Please contact me with any questions regarding this item. Characters are trademarks of their respective owners, and any use thereof is for descriptive purposes as allowed by fair use law and is only being used to describe the product being sold.
Bumper British Action with Starlord and Tornado Comic Collection is copyright © 2012 and may not be reproduced, or copied to be resold. No affiliation is intended or implied with any publishers of the original materials or trademark owners. Seller assumes all responsibility for this listing.

Does that mean E-bay has looked into it but have deemed them (wrongly) to be in the public domain, or is that summat the seller has cheekily added, in the hope of deflecting any comeback?

Not sure how you report anything on E-bay, but ill have a closer look next time i log-in. I must say you dont often get these style of collections featuring 2000ad material, perhaps its harder to pass those off.

vzzbux

These sort of discs appear all the time on E-Bay.
I believe that the seller would have put that up on the listing not E-Bay.
If they did add that to the listing then E-Bay would be party to the crime.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Dandontdare

QuoteAbsolutely no copyrights are infringed. Please contact me with any questions regarding this item. Characters are trademarks of their respective owners, and any use thereof is for descriptive purposes as allowed by fair use law and is only being used to describe the product being sold.

I think that's what is technically referred to as a "big fat stinking lie"

Spikes

The copyright for these comics is owned by Egmont, isnt it?

COMMANDO FORCES

You would think ebay would be liable to prosecution for facilitating the sale of illegal goods. Then again, I'm sure they have something in the micro small print on page 4,962,775 about that!

JOE SOAP

Terribe thing is, if I found all the issues of 80's EAGLE on DVD...I'd probably buy it.

opaque

You get these ALL the time. And yes I do report them, especially the ones really taking the piss like those people.

I know what you mean Joe. Of course you'd only do it to prove they were breaking the rules and get their address ;)

Spikes

Saw this again, when i popped on E-bay earlier, and s/he's still going strong.
Just about every other UK comic apart from 2000ad, is on offer.
No 80's Eagles, im afraid, Joe, but what looks to be every issue from its original run, is available.

Has anyone ever seen what these are like? Pretty shitty, or are they suprisingly decent?

Beaker

Quote from: Judge Jack on 21 October, 2012, 11:46:08 PM
Saw this again, when i popped on E-bay earlier, and s/he's still going strong.
Just about every other UK comic apart from 2000ad, is on offer.
No 80's Eagles, im afraid, Joe, but what looks to be every issue from its original run, is available.

Has anyone ever seen what these are like? Pretty shitty, or are they suprisingly decent?

Ermm, I hear tell that they are excellent. Very good copies indeed and well scanned. On an 8" tablet using Cool Reader they read very well. (Although the classic Eagles, are a little small so zooming is required)......apparently.

I am sure if they were properly commercially available they would sell like the proverbial hot cakes but this chap/lady/gronk has made them available and they're selling because how else could someone read these comics?

The first 37 issues of Action can be read for free online. I shan't post a link in case it infringes any copyright, which it probably does.
"I've got 'em.....I just ain't scratching!'

Spikes

Quote from: Beaker on 22 October, 2012, 07:39:12 PM
The first 37 issues of Action can be read for free online. I shan't post a link in case it infringes any copyright, which it probably does.

Would that be the excellent, but unoffical, Sevenpenny Nightmare site? Though its a site that clearly lets people know that Egmont owns the copyright, it does indeed show complete scans for every one of the 'pre-ban' issues.

I can see how its tempting, with these collections on E-bay, especially if they are indeed well done. They can certainly offer a quick fix for collectors, but for me, itll always be about tracking down and owning original copies of the comic. Took me ages to put together the first 'pre-ban' set issues for Action, and it wasnt cheap doing that, either.

SmallBlueThing

Tell me about it, im doing that at the moment. Very slowly. I have six so far. :-/

SBT

Beaker

Oh indeed, there's nothing quite like the fun of collecting comics bit by bit and I did that with the first 85 issues of 2000ad and many of the Tornados.

I also pick up as many copies of Monster Fun, Krazy, Warlord, Victor, Shiver & Shake and any other British comics as I can get and I'd love to get all of the issues of Action (I think I have the first couple and an annual) but simply to read and enjoy, these digital copies are a good interim option. They are not exactly guilt-free but they do take up a lot less space, which pleases 'er indoors!

Of course the seller is making money from something he or she does not have the rights to, but just look at the amount of old films available on Ebay, ostensibly in the 'Public Domain' in particular Will Hay & George Formby films. It is not right, its illegal and the quality of them is awful but I suppose caveat emptor applies.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Judge Jack on 23 October, 2012, 12:28:00 AM
Would that be the excellent, but unoffical, Sevenpenny Nightmare site? Though its a site that clearly lets people know that Egmont owns the copyright, it does indeed show complete scans for every one of the 'pre-ban' issues.

That's an interesting (and exceptional, I think) case, in as much as Moose Harris* is widely recognised as a comic archivist and holds high-res scans, from originals wherever he can get 'em, for a great many classic 1970s British comics. I have no direct confirmation of this, but I suspect that that his stuff stays online with the tacit/unofficial approval of the rights holders for as long as they don't want to do anything else with it.

The companion 'Best of Battle' site used to have extensive scans of the strips available to read online, but these have all disappeared since the collected editions of Battle material started appearing (and I believe that Moose has been the source of most of the pages used in the Charley's War, Johnny Red and Major Eazy volumes).

Cheers

Jim

*Yes, New Model Army fans -- that Moose Harris.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Beaker

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 23 October, 2012, 10:54:35 AM

*Yes, New Model Army fans -- that Moose Harris.

Oh really... the guy who replaced the awesome Stuart Morrow?

I didn't know that!