Main Menu

Ron Smith does Red Dwarf

Started by Dark Jimbo, 19 November, 2012, 07:59:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dark Jimbo

When fandoms collide!

I know this is little-seen and thought it might be of interest to some here. Seriously, how good was this bloke?

There's something like another 12 pages, but I won't waste my time scanning them all yet in case it turns out nobody's bothered, so... register your interest.
@jamesfeistdraws

Bolt-01

Greg M.

Yeah, very cool. Ron's Rimmer is somewhat more heroic-looking than the real thing, and the Cat is, conversely, somewhat more animalistic, but it's fascinating stuff. Despite being a big RD fan, I never actually read the Smegazine - I see they pursued the idea of having Rimmer appear in black-and-white, which was the original plan for the character on tv. Glad they didn't go with that (it wasn't remotely practical anyway.)

Jim_Campbell

Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Zarjazzer

Lots more -say twelve pages ooh at the very least!
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Greg M. on 19 November, 2012, 08:12:27 PM
Despite being a big RD fan, I never actually read the Smegazine - I see they pursued the idea of having Rimmer appear in black-and-white, which was the original plan for the character on tv. Glad they didn't go with that (it wasn't remotely practical anyway.)

Yeah, all the Smegazine strips did likewise - I think it was actually a specific request from Grant/Naylor. It's a nice quirk, but as you say I'm glad the TV series never tried to do the same. It would have aged really badly.

I dug the 'zines out after Series X prompted a renewed passion for all things Dwarf, and was really excited when Ron appeared. It's the only strip he did for them, sadly, and I can't find any other obvious 2000AD links within the pages beyond lots of prog ads - although our very own Darren Stephens draws an Ace Rimmer strip!
@jamesfeistdraws

CrazyFoxMachine

Moremoremoremoremoremore

I hope we see more of his Red Dwarf (ship) - it's gorgeous. I love how in the Smegazine Rimmer was b/w as intended :D

Daveycandlish

An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

Albion

Ooooooooh.......I'm liking that. More more more!
Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.

pauljholden

WHAT IS THE MIRROR?? WHAT IS SPECIAL ABOUT THE MIRROR? Don't leave it on a cliff hanger like that, man!

Spikes

Professor Bear

As a person on the internet, I demand more, I demand it immediately, and I demand it for free.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 19 November, 2012, 09:31:46 PM
I hope we see more of his Red Dwarf (ship) - it's gorgeous.

Not only that but he tackles Starbug and Blue Midget as well!

Okay, that was pretty unanimous, so here's the rest of part one (this time with a proper cliffhanger). I'll try to scan and upload part two sometime around the end of the week...

@jamesfeistdraws

Dark Jimbo

@jamesfeistdraws

The Enigmatic Dr X

Lister reminds me of the Garbage God from the Judge Child. I'd google his name, but I'm off to bed.

PS The art is great.
Lock up your spoons!