Main Menu

Prog 2250 - Get zapped to the future with the Galaxy's Greatest Comic

Started by Colin YNWA, 18 September, 2021, 06:02:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheridan

Great work from D'Israeli in clueing us in that it was a dream sequence even before appearances from dead people and psychedelic touches.  Does the reference to watching too much TV show in the double-page spread?  Some of it looks a little Jamie and the Magic Torch.

Timothy

sheridan

Quote from: Timothy on 22 September, 2021, 10:25:37 PM
I think it's referencing Yellow Submarine more.

Oh yes - that makes sense.  Thinking about it, while I saw a lot of Jamie and the Magic Torch when I was a kid (and a little as an adult) I'm not entirely sure I've ever watched Yellow Submarine, other than little clips in other media...

M.I.K.

Yep. Yellow Submarine, but the previous pages have folk dressed as Tony Hancock, (the first) Doctor Who, John Steed and Captain Kirk. I think his mum is probably dressed as Lucille Ball and Iykarus has a touch of the Jason Kings about him but is more likely dressed as Jon Pertwee's Doctor.

Daveycandlish

An absolute belter of a prog after the last slew of stories was a real slog. Makes me glad I continued with my subscription! (I was seriously close to cancelling after that last lot)
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

broodblik

We all live in a yellow submarine Yellow submarine, yellow submarine.

Some wonderful pictures from that dream sequence:

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Colin YNWA

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

norton canes

Ah, that cover. So brilliant. You get comic art legend Mick McMahon to do you a Dredd cover, expecting to see something like the Lawman of the Future astride a Lawmaster, blasting his way through the Big Meg; and he gives you Dredd in the most bizarre pose imaginable, brandishing a long red umbrella. This man is a national treasure.

It's hilarious that the layout droid has made a rather half-hearted attempt, with the sparky font, to convince us it's actually an electric baton of some sort. Nice try!

A rather polarized selection of strips on offer this jumping-on week. The prog cruises along at the very highest levels of thrill-power for the first three, then completely falls off a cliff, only to be saved by an Abnett-shaped crash mat at the very end.

Dredd is glorious, and ably demonstrates why the Williams droid (in conjunction with the Wyatt-bot here, of course) is the ideal choice to introduce viewers to the world of Mega-City One in the upcoming TV series (yes it will). Although having seen upthread that the Red Queen was part of a Megazine story, I'd have liked a slice of backstory.

The wonderful Diaboliks demonstrates why a prog never seems properly complete without a strip by the Rennie droid. And the prog's highlight - a seriously stunning return to the world of Scarlet Traces from the Edginton and D'Israeli team. Reading the first two pages I wondered why the art looked so crude, then of course that breathtaking double-page spread makes it clear, before a genuinely gripping further six pages - utterly fantastic stuff.

And then...

It's a prog of two halves, Clive. Okay to be more accurate a prog of four-sevenths and three-sevenths.

At the risk of courting controversy, can I ask... when was the last time there was a genuinely good Anderson strip? I remember enjoying the one-off from a couple of years ago with Jake Lynch art, the one where the guy pretends to be Judge Death or whatever. But ongoing-wise nothing seems to really work, and this is no exception - it's all a bit by-numbers with some routine debate at the start and a nice attempt at a freaky under-cit gang but the story is just getting in the way and even Lee Carter's art looks a bit drab with a lack of backgrounds and the Anderson on the penultimate page doesn't even look finished (okay maybe there were huge pandemic-related production issues, fair enough) and then there's some hand-waving spells and it's all over for this instalment. Sorry, not really gripped. Though to be fair, I'm trying desperately to come up with even an idea for the Thought Bubble so props to all the droids that are involved in making fully-fledged strips.

Actually, speaking of the Thought Bubble, I wonder if this prog's Future Shock would have stood a chance as a submitted script? It seems like a lot of effort by the Weston droid for a slight payoff.

Anyway, two strips to go... one's a ostensibly light-hearted story about a woman heading into the unknown after a radical change of identity, and the other - yeah you get the drift. The difference is that one's a triumphant piece of work that'll hopefully grace the prog for some time to come while the other looks hopelessly out of place in the current line-up.

Oof - I see there's a 15p price rise next prog. They like to sneak those in after a jumping-on prog, don't they.

IndigoPrime

sheridan

Quote from: norton canes on 23 September, 2021, 11:56:37 AM
Anyway, two strips to go... one's a ostensibly light-hearted story about a woman heading into the unknown after a radical change of identity, and the other - yeah you get the drift. The difference is that one's a triumphant piece of work that'll hopefully grace the prog for some time to come while the other looks hopelessly out of place in the current line-up.

Does The Out feature a change of identity?

QuoteOof - I see there's a 15p price rise next prog. They like to sneak those in after a jumping-on prog, don't they.

I did notice that...

norton canes

Quote from: sheridan on 23 September, 2021, 12:19:41 PM
Does The Out feature a change of identity?

Well, [spoiler]Cyd is completely reconstructed after being killed by the Tankinar[/spoiler]. Bit tenuous perhaps.

broodblik

Quote from: norton canes on 23 September, 2021, 11:56:37 AM
Oof - I see there's a 15p price rise next prog. They like to sneak those in after a jumping-on prog, don't they.

The digital prog's price has been the same since I started getting it going way back to 2011.

The Monarch

i sure hope i get those sub goodies i haven't gotten any at all since starting my dual sub in 2020

Colin YNWA

Quote from: The Monarch on 23 September, 2021, 05:15:11 PM
i sure hope i get those sub goodies i haven't gotten any at all since starting my dual sub in 2020

If its dual physcial you shouyld probably speak to someone about that as you should have this years badges at least - I think...