Main Menu

Prog 2250 - Get zapped to the future with the Galaxy's Greatest Comic

Started by Colin YNWA, 18 September, 2021, 06:02:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Well that's a lovely cover, all be it with a clunky tag line! Inside we're in good order as well.

Dredd villains put the gang together, Dredd prepares for a chat and Maitland dodges a bullet. Set up, but cut to the action by the end. Nice enough.

Damn the subs freebies on the page after Dredd - some of the best yet - a facsimile of Prog 0 (the proposal Prog). I don't quite qualify but damn this is tempting!

Diaboliks like Dredd quickly puts pieces into place and its an intriguing place and look forward to this moving forward.

Then a nice Tharg Star Scan by David Millgate.

Now Scarlet Traces was an ace. It too was a set up and if I'm honest I started this with a bit of dread, but quite remembering were we are up to... but this one does it all, recaps, sets the scene and moves us onto the next phase of things, but you don't notice the mechanics at work. D'israeli delightfully realising Edginton's trippy start and hellish ending. Wonderful stuff and worries quickly dismissed.

As they were with Anderson one off Anderson's of late haven't always ticked the boxes but this one works perfectly Maura McHugh keeps it self contained, but moves things into place for the next phase of her story. Okay so maybe not self contained with that cliffhanger but it works as an episode and I'm already hankering for what comes next. Lee Carter has switched some buttons on his dial and his colour and tone work the dark atmosphere perfectly. Loved this one, to my surprise if I'm honest.

Pandora Perfect - Mystery Moon again masters the set up trick really well. it gives us a frothy intro to the character, a cheeky double cross and an offer for what's to come. This is just perfect fun.

Okay Chris Western I know this was a Future Shock driven by the pun at the end BUT when you present it like that - come on don't leave us hangin' [spoiler]Lone Wolf and Grub[/spoiler] is a series you could make work. A star child take on the classic. Get ya writing cap on and don't leave this as a silly gag.

And we go out with The Out and it gets us up to speed and like others sets up what to come perfectly well. Its a great opener but as some of the other wears it mechanics on it sleeves - mind when the sleeves are suich glorious out on the rim colours colliding wonders who cares what mechanics they expose. Super excited by this one.

So yeah if latest weeks Prog was a real let down this one shows just how quickly the Prog can bounce back and the thrill ride being an avid follower of Tharg can be. Just a fantastic comic.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Jacqusie

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 18 September, 2021, 06:02:46 PM
Well that's a lovely cover, all be it with a clunky tag line!

How to crap on a classic cover, the font droid opts to choose four different type settings and the one at the bottom is a ripe old stinker!

Dredd picks up threads from previous Rob Williams stories and I like how Joe casually asks for a chat in a rather awkward but sweet way.

Always great to see the team behind Scarlet Traces return, nudging my Stickleback memories and thoughts towards a hopeful return of the Baker Street misfit.

MumboJimbo

Hallelujah! It's the APNIAMOFJOP*. Although being a digital subscriber pleb, I haven't got mine yet.

But on the subject of APNIAMOFJOPs, does anyone have a favourite APNIAMOFJOP from the many APNIAMOFJOPS there have been throughout the years? When was the first modern-day APNIAMOFJOP? I bet Funt Solo knows. And if I keep writing APNIAMOFJOP can I make APNIAMOFJOP the canonical term for APNIAMOFJOPS?

* Annual Prog Number Is A Multiple of Fifty Jump On Prog

MumboJimbo

I even made it pronounceable- Apnia, as in sleep apnea; Mof as in Grand Moff Tarkin; Jop as in Janice Joplin - stick it all together and you have APNIAMOFJOP. Simple

Richard

I hope it catches on!

In Anderson, can anyone remember if we've seen Judge Falzon before?

Southstreeter

Future Shock - one for the 'over my head' thread, I think. Wot? Can someone explain please?

Tjm86

Southstreeter

Thanks for the reference, Tjm. Never heard of it, but then again I know virtually nothing about Manga. I'm one of those people who pays hardly any attention to comix unconnected with 2000AD.

broodblik

First things first and overall, this was a wonderful prog enjoyed it tremendously. Just shows us that a change is as good as a holiday.  Good balance of stories with some good variety in the art as well. Top notch stuff Tharg, looks like the last quarter will be a goody. The only letdown for me is the cover and it just did not work for me.

Dredd – We are introduced first by the main villain (now if you are reading the meg, you will know who the Red Queen is) and the red coats (you know if you are a re a trekkie fan the guy in red we all know whom will not make it) and lastly to our targets Maitland and Dredd. This is all setup for what is to come, good start.

Diaboliks – Quite the diabolic start the new arc and a future shot of what is to be. Now this the Our team is split up and Jenny is given a darker task to accomplish and what can possibly go wrong?

Scarlet Traces – D'Isreali's got such a unique style and the way he portraits [spoiler]the dream sequence[/spoiler] is just amazing we know in the story when we are back in the real world. Wonderful storytelling by Edginton.

Anderson – We continue the fallout from the sci-fi special and this feels like an intro to Anderson's next tale. Good stuff (and for all the purest Anderson does not look like a teenage prom queen).

Pandora – A fun start to Pandora's series debut. This is going to be entreating ride.

Shock – Lovely art as usual mister Weston but no mister Weston you can not just give as the wrapper of the candy.

The Out – The travels of Cyd continues and we are the spectators of this journey in the alientastic, spectacular explosions of weirdness and exoticness.

broodblik

Link Prime

Some fine work.

Almost makes me regret skipping Mick at the bar at the 40th bash.

Barrington Boots

My jumping on prog appears to have jumped off. Still no sign of it...
You're a dark horse, Boots.

sheridan

Good to see Maitland back though I did find myself thinking during the collecting villains phase that they'd just get in each others way.  Sure it'll be entertaining, but I was at least expecting them to be working independently.  They just look like one big target in the last panel...