Main Menu

Forum’s Favourite Thrill - Armageddon vs Hunted Rd 1 Heat 53

Started by Colin YNWA, 08 December, 2021, 06:26:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

So we're well into the second half of the 1st Round and stats fans this week sees us cover 14.2% - 16.3% of the tourney over all... oh gosh... I wish I hadn't typed that... I'm sorry...

Well Armageddon falls into the great what if. There seemed to be grand plans for the series but it quickly fizzled out into nothing leaving the thrill a curious oddity. But Carlos art, so... Hunted also feels like it had more to say and do and might well come back? Though it's been a wee while.

Which most rattles your thrill-receptors:

Armageddon - more info

Vs.

Hunted - more info

Just reply in this thread naming your favourite thrill of these two series at the beginning of your post (or use Bold tags so I can spot it easily) and say what you like about these wonderful stories after that.

Match ends early on the morning of Saturday 11th December and the winner gets a place in Round 2 (of 9!!!).

What on Earth is ALL of this?

For those that need 'um and can be bothered to follow 'um there's some simple rules

Any questions, just ask as ever - and have FUN!

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Huey2

abelardsnazz

Armageddon as it's an intriguing start to the background of Dredd's world that didn't go any further. Would we have had Origins or any of Michael Carroll's fleshing out of that world had it continued? Who knows, but it was Grant and Ezquerra setting a scene which fully engaged me at the time.

IndigoPrime

Armageddon always felt off to me. I'm glad it died on the vine, because what we have now as the Dreddworld backstory is so much better.

Hunted didn't grab be nearly as much as Jaegir, but it was a solid yarn and a superior story for me.

sheridan

Was Hunted the one which finally gave the TG a motive for betraying the Southers?  And did so using established elements?

AlexF

Hunted please. Ezquerra is always great, but Holden's no slouch and his version of the Traitor General is my fave so far.
Armageddon felt essential at the time but it's pure curio at this point. As Dreddworld backstories go, it's not a patch on Dreadnaughts.

Link Prime

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

IndigoPrime

It was intended to be a multi-part book exploring the origins of Dredd's world, presumably until someone realised it was creator-owned and would therefore leave said origins outside of the publisher's ownership.

rogue69

Southstreeter

Armageddon for the lovely Carlos art, and because Hunted is merely OK.

Funt Solo

Tricky one. They're both flawed. Armageddon is very derivative - using lines directly from Total Recall (a film whose name I always find difficult to remember) and borrowing heavily from Terminator - with an unusual biblical slant (which was perhaps it's core USP, but maybe just a little Omen).

Where Jaegir shines (and Mayflies shows promise), I find Hunted fell down and became a bit Traitor General Does Dallas, with it's soapy guest stars and family members. It leans too heavily on established continuity, it blames the aliens (sort of) and it hasn't got a protagonist.

In the end, though, I just have to go with Ezquerra. Armageddon for me.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

sheridan

Hunted, by the way.  Not the best of the current crop of Rogueverse stories, but still decent.  Armageddon was derivative and didn't go anywhere (and I'm unsure if it would have gone anywhere if it had continued).