Main Menu

Prog 2267 - The Look of the Law

Started by Colin YNWA, 31 January, 2022, 05:52:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Its almost as if Kenneth Niemand is baiting those that like to rip into his work!

Dredd this week is super fun. It plays with the idea of a man haunted, in a helpful way, of the ghosts of Chief Judges past... except they are helping him commit crime. So he's one for the Kook Cubes surely... except for one little detail... Brilliant playful stuff. And do we know Rob Richardson? i don't remember Rob Richardson. I think we should get to know them. Just lovely art, with fantastic use of a muted colour palette.

Oh Proteus Vex you all action darling you... yet you have this great little world building pieces and nice character moments and interesting story structures week to week... and then fantastic cliffhangers... but really you like just shooting and blowing stuff up right!

The Order is simply genius this week. We switch back to the survives from Le Victoire. Who basically play Treasure Island as they have a close and personal character episode that builds on so much. Recaps on whose who and still remains a brisk, energetic read. Absolute standout episode.

Kingmaker er, wow... well I wasn't expecting that... I mean I should have.... but I wasn't. Brill stuff.

Saphir2 looks good, is fine, but really can't keep up the glory of the other thrills. Kinda a shame it wraps up the stories as this is much more a thrill 4 type thing and allow one of the others to end on a high. Not bad though.

Brilliant Prog the 4 that sing sure belt out a tune.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

broodblik

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 31 January, 2022, 05:52:57 PM
And do we know Rob Richardson? i don't remember Rob Richardson. I think we should get to know them. Just lovely art, with fantastic use of a muted colour palette.

His first work for AD was in prog 2257: Future Shock Keyboard Warriors

oshii

Dredd was great.   There must have been a huge temptation to make an idea as strong/fun as that into a mutli-parter, but having it as a one and done felt positively luxurious.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: broodblik on 31 January, 2022, 06:43:25 PM
Quote from: Colin YNWA on 31 January, 2022, 05:52:57 PM
And do we know Rob Richardson? i don't remember Rob Richardson. I think we should get to know them. Just lovely art, with fantastic use of a muted colour palette.

His first work for AD was in prog 2257: Future Shock Keyboard Warriors

Arh yeah - that looked great too. Hope to see more from them.

The Monarch

the shadow creatures in the order are back. the ones who in my insane addled mind makes me think they are the [spoiler]dark matter from canon fodder[/spoiler]

broodblik

A solid prog with laurels shared between Vex and Kingmaker.

Dredd – A good one shot from Niemand again.

Porteus Vex – This is a great action-fest episode as we end with a good cliffhanger. Jake's art is just getting better as the series progresses. Super great sci-fi yarn

The Order – The focus shift and we are back on the island of dead. Our characters have some time to reflect and relax. Another episode that ends with a cliffhanger.

Kingmaker – Some good twist here [spoiler]as two characters believed to be perished makes a return[/spoiler].  This was a great episode, and the only disappointment is that we now have to wait for its return in 2270. Yet another episode that ends with a cliffhanger.

Saphir – The world of Saphir continues to amaze as all the pieces are in place for the stand-off. Yet another episode that and in a cliffhanger (this must be getting boring now)

broodblik

In the brimful of Thrills @ the end of the prog is something I not really tough about and that is in many senses 1981 was a year of a lot of classic thrills that seen their first appearances: Nemesis (technically the first was Comic Rock but the first full blown series was Book 1), Rogue and Ace

The Corinthian

Is it just me or can anyone else hear Dusty Springfield singing the cover strapline?

Colin YNWA

Quote from: The Corinthian on 03 February, 2022, 07:51:29 AM
Is it just me or can anyone else hear Dusty Springfield singing the cover strapline?

Well I didn't until now!

Link Prime

Quote from: broodblik on 31 January, 2022, 06:38:53 PM
Cover by David Millgate:

Fantastic cover by the always welcome Millgate Droid.
Dredd getting close to his Prog 693 elegance here.

broodblik

norton canes

That cover's a great illo but the colouring makes it looks like it's been dragged up from the bottom of a swamp!

Prog high points:

• Rob Richardson's art for 'The Dead Chief Judges' Society' showed a sharp comic touch, would love to see him on more Dredd
  • Proteus Vex is becoming quite the go-to strip now. There seem to be much fewer pseudo-historical references and a focus on telling the immediate story, which is much to its benefit. The Lynch droid continues to work wonders
  • The return of you-know-who, and in apparently good spirits. I guess it shouldn't come as a huge surprise, given the literary character he's based on
  • Entertainingly surreal stuff in Saphir, it's a great hook for the story. Not so sure about that panel with Jorg's overalls hanging in rags... 

Blue Cactus

I think I can see Dredd's eyes through his visor on the cover and it is FREAKY!

Good prog. Nice Niemand Dredd with scope for a follow up (he's good at that) and really enjoyed Rob Richardson's art. Stick him on the next series of Brass Sun please so INJC can concentrate on Brink!

Jake Lynch is great these days. I need a reread of Vex I think but it's rattling along nicely.

The change of pace in The Order was just what I needed. Some simple character stuff.

Kingmaker... I haven't got a clue where this is going. Love that final page!

Sapphire... I'm a little unclear who's who and what's happening. Quite impressive after three episodes! The Roach/Doherty combo is absolutely heavenly though. Just beautiful.