Main Menu

Sideshow Vote II: Slippery Jim is my name

Started by broodblik, 20 June, 2022, 04:36:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

broodblik

One of the greatest properties that was license in the prog is The Stainless Steel Rat by Harry Harrison beautifully adapted by Kelvin Gosnell and Carlos Ezquerra.  Now we all know that not all off Harrison's novellas was adapted so do you believe that another attempt must be made to adapt them or not? and who is best fitted to draw this?
-   Yes, do it Tharg it should be drawn by..........
-   No way, this was part of Carlos legacy
-   Stainless Steel Rat is too much 70s and will not work in today's demographics

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Colin YNWA

I enjoy the stories we have but thing this sort of adaption thing is best left and so I say:

Leave it and let the talent create their own new things.

IndigoPrime

I'd go for: I don't give two hoots whether or not someone chooses to do a new comic adaptation, but I really don't want to see one in 2000 AD or the Meg.

AlexF

Yes please, should be drawn by Jake Lynch, who to my mind could easily make give it the same vibe...

OR if it makes more sense to go for something completely different, how about Clint Langley?

Proudhuff

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 20 June, 2022, 06:23:15 AM
I enjoy the stories we have but thing this sort of adaption thing is best left and so I say:

Leave it and let the talent create their own new things.

This ^^^
DDT did a job on me

Rogue Judge

Yes, do it Tharg it should be drawn by...Henry Flint.

I really enjoyed reading the originals and I'd like to see more. Obviously you can't replace Carlos, but Flint is a/the modern master and could do great things with the future tech, costumes etc.

Richard

I'd rather Tharg commissioned new stories than adapted old ones (although I did enjoy Hawk the Slayer). Also the Stainless Steel Rat books are of variable quality, and whoever adapted them might not choose the same ones I would choose.

Funt Solo

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 20 June, 2022, 08:26:26 AM
I'd go for: I don't give two hoots whether or not someone chooses to do a new comic adaptation, but I really don't want to see one in 2000 AD or the Meg.

Still salty over A Life Less Ordinary. I don't blame you.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Magnetica

The Stainless Steel Rat was one of my favourite 2000AD stories back in the day, and I read all of the books off the back of it. I think the 2000AD adaptation had its own feel and Carlos's art was a big part of that and I'm not sure that can be replicated. I really wanted further adaptations at the time, but the moment has passed.

broodblik

You have until Monday to decide on the fate of Jim
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

Leave Slippery Jim where he is, but by all means look to other properties to adapt.

The Murderbot Diaries, by Martha Wells would seem like a perfect 2000AD fit. And a massive wide-screen graphic novel of Rendezvous With Rama drawn by Culbard would be astonishing.

SBT

IndigoPrime

I'd sooner Rebellion pursues properties it can own outright (meaning no issues with ownership, reprint and usage in future) or assisting creator-owned (so creators get more) than adaptations. One exception would be if the property is well enough known to draw a big crowd to the imprint.

broodblik

Well maybe this is not a surprise how people felt especially with classics

Voting Closed

Simply put no more Slippery Jim for the prog, just leave it