Main Menu

Forum’s Fav Thrill - Low Life vs. The Out Rd 5 Heat 8

Started by Colin YNWA, 04 August, 2022, 07:48:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Proudhuff on 04 August, 2022, 11:35:50 AMrather than wandering aimlessly through the Universe so...
That feels unfair. Yes, the protagonist is exploring and seeing where her adventures take her. But the strip itself is a long way from being aimless. In a short time, it's done an awful lot, along with giving us multiple gut-punch twists.

MumboJimbo

What I quite like about The Out, especially its inception, is that most narratives are about those ephemeral moments in life that take on the feel of an adventure or crisis, be it a love affair, health scare or teenage rebellion, where what often gets overlooked are those liminal spaces in your lifespan between these events, where you often spend most of your days. Where you're existing, trying to keep body and soul relatively healthy but maybe feel a little adrift and unfocused. The Out spoke to me at first of those times. Of course, the story has progressed and momentous events have occurred, and it's in a different place, but had it continued with this sense of aimless ennui I, for one, would have rather liked that. Although I very much like its current direction also.

paddykafka

Low Life narrowly pips The Out for me, purely because of Dirty Frank.

Dash Decent

- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Funt Solo

Low Life was really good - and, in its time, felt like something the Dreddverse really needed. It never sat well with me, though, that Aimee's arc went from lead character to lead villain. It's an interesting arc, but it was a shame that Dirty Frank's popularity propelled him into the lead. Having female lead characters is a precious commodity in 2000 AD, and I was disappointed that Frank came to dominate so much. That Nixon then became one of those shouty villains that spends most of their time spitting their plans into a monitor screen in order to Basil Exposition their feelings (and the plot) was a shame. If you're echoing Below Zero something's gone wrong.

Summary: Low Life was great, and disjointed.

The Out gets my vote.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Richard

Southstreeter

The Out. Rare is the strip that's a bona fide classic from Day 1. Low Life the strip, as opposed to LL the characters, was OK, but I was never that fussed about it.

NapalmKev

"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Magnetica

I was never a big Low Life fan until Trifecta. But what was great about that was the way Dredd, The Simping Detective and Low Life came together. But Low Life was the weakest of the three for me.

The Out is only my 6th (or there abouts) Dan Abnett strip. But it's easily good enough here.

BPP

If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Blue Cactus

Quote from: Funt Solo on 04 August, 2022, 04:48:36 PM
Low Life was really good - and, in its time, felt like something the Dreddverse really needed. It never sat well with me, though, that Aimee's arc went from lead character to lead villain. It's an interesting arc, but it was a shame that Dirty Frank's popularity propelled him into the lead. Having female lead characters is a precious commodity in 2000 AD, and I was disappointed that Frank came to dominate so much. That Nixon then became one of those shouty villains that spends most of their time spitting their plans into a monitor screen in order to Basil Exposition their feelings (and the plot) was a shame. If you're echoing Below Zero something's gone wrong.

Summary: Low Life was great, and disjointed.

The Out gets my vote.

I was sad about the way Nixon went too. Still have a lot of affection for that character and hoped for a happier outcome for her.

This one is tough, once it hits its stride Low Life is a real favourite of mine. The Out is exceptional. Hrrrmmm.

I think I'm going with Low Life today but I've already changed my mind several times in the last few minutes.

JayzusB.Christ

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

IndigoPrime

Quote from: BPP on 05 August, 2022, 08:33:15 AM
Having female lead characters is a precious commodity in 2000 AD
Buh?
I don't see Funt's comment as remotely controversial. And that comes across when you see things like multi-character covers that include few if any women. Balance is somewhat better these days, but far from perfect, and, as I've said on other threads, that permeates entire strips right through to background characters. (How often do we have a Dredd with a named important female Judge, and so she's, rightly, drawn as a woman. But then literally every other Judge in the stripe defaults to a man?)

BPP

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 05 August, 2022, 11:25:19 AM
Quote from: BPP on 05 August, 2022, 08:33:15 AM
Having female lead characters is a precious commodity in 2000 AD
Buh?
I don't see Funt's comment as remotely controversial. And that comes across when you see things like multi-character covers that include few if any women. Balance is somewhat better these days, but far from perfect, and, as I've said on other threads, that permeates entire strips right through to background characters. (How often do we have a Dredd with a named important female Judge, and so she's, rightly, drawn as a woman. But then literally every other Judge in the stripe defaults to a man?)

2000ad has a ton of female characters both in titular roles and in important ancillary roles.

I don't really examine the gender of helmeted background characters nor would I jump to conclusions on gender from general body shape.

It's also seems somewhat perverse to portray Nixon's story as anything other than fulfilling. Female characters aren't just there to be heroes, white knighted and preserved - she developed from a anti-establishment good guy into an anti-establishment bad guy via well defined motivations. That's a compelling and creditable history to give to a character.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd