Main Menu

2000 AD - The Ultimate Collection

Started by Molch-R, 27 February, 2017, 06:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

broodblik

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 19 August, 2020, 11:49:28 PM
Quote from: Richard on 17 August, 2020, 05:27:24 PM
They're full of world-building and you can see all of the potential which is going to be realised later on, often many years later, and you realise just how much thought and planning went into it before the first episode was ever published. It's an extraordinary series.

Some credit must go to David Bishop on that score. IIRC, the original proposal kicked off with what (I think) would have been Tsar Wars, and it was David who suggested rewinding and starting the story much earlier in the timeline.

That is why the story works so well. If you read the whole thing in a short period of time you will even have more appreciate of how the puzzle pieces all fits together.  Credit must also go to David for guiding the original starting point
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

IndigoPrime

My books just rocked up. So that's a wrap on Nikolai Dante—a full HC set of one of 2000 AD's best-ever strips. Sláine and Cabs next month and then that's it for the original run.

Bad Andy

Still not had any notification that my sub is going to continue.

Full Hardback Dante. Not opened any of them yet. Only know first half of story. Going to get a good time to enjoy this.

moly

Had 77 and 78 delivered today still nothing official about the extension

Max Headroom

Quote from: The Monarch on 19 August, 2020, 11:08:51 PM
well its time for good news bad news

good news i sure do have a complete nikolai dante in hc

bad news the 40th anniversary one offs not in it. its mentioned in the back matter but its not in the actual book

This I find a shame. It wouldn't have cost much to include it. May be I'm just too much of a completist?

moogie101

Quote from: moly on 20 August, 2020, 03:55:36 PM
Had 77 and 78 delivered today still nothing official about the extension

Me too, can't work out if the company are idiots or the extension is a hoax.

moly

I think it's a sly way to get people to continue, think they have already said the replacement issue for the issue with the misprinted spin is being sent out with issue 81

IndigoPrime

If they were smart, they'd send out a letter with the next batch, which would note the new length of the sub and go heavy on the really great series coming up. Make the extension sound like a thing people just wouldn't want to miss! Loads of exclusive stories never before released in HC! Some never in print! Etc! And also mention that people can cancel, obviously.

But they'll probably find some way to fuck this up instead. Having seen that extension list, though, any 2000 AD fan would be fucking nuts to quit at #80, short of not having the funds to continue.

Tomwe

Yeah any letter will be last minute (ie next month). At least the final delivery is a pair so those wishing to stop don't have to return an unwanted #81.

Oh, and I asked Boo Cook on IG if he was doing/had done the new spine, which he said he was and to stay posted...

Rately

Quote from: Tomwe on 21 August, 2020, 11:30:35 AM
Yeah any letter will be last minute (ie next month). At least the final delivery is a pair so those wishing to stop don't have to return an unwanted #81.

Oh, and I asked Boo Cook on IG if he was doing/had done the new spine, which he said he was and to stay posted...

Fantastic. Great sleuthing, Tomwe.

Can't wait to see the new spine.

IndigoPrime

At least he can save time and not bother drawing any feet. (Quite why that cropping decision was made, I don't know.)

Rately

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 21 August, 2020, 11:43:43 AM
At least he can save time and not bother drawing any feet. (Quite why that cropping decision was made, I don't know.)

Christ. Seriously?

I'd never noticed till you mentioned it, IndigoPrime!!!

IndigoPrime

Sorry. (Much as I like Boo, I really hate the Hachette spine design. I have a few of the Eaglemoss books now, and they are so much better from a usability standpoint. I really wish the 2000 AD and Dredd books had the character and titles listed.)

Arkady

I'm in the market for a custom shelf labelling system for the collection...

Colin YNWA

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 21 August, 2020, 11:53:01 AM
Sorry. (Much as I like Boo, I really hate the Hachette spine design. I have a few of the Eaglemoss books now, and they are so much better from a usability standpoint. I really wish the 2000 AD and Dredd books had the character and titles listed.)

Well yes this is the only downside to the silverlining (#1) to my Prog free return from holiday today. Left with the lovely Janet and David next door was the final Dante volume and yes it would be nice to have them with neater spines but BY ALL THAT IS HOLY we have a complete Dante collection in 9 lovely, hardbound volumes.

Just amazing.

Little surprised we don't get that stand alone story from the 40th Special edition (was it can't remember - actually might be in here somewhere and I've missed it as I've not read these yet) not a biggie as I prefer the fact this is the core story.

Just a wonderful thing to own and until we got the Ultimate Collection something I didn't think we'd get for a long, long time.

Thanks Tharg and Hachette.