Main Menu

2000 AD - The Ultimate Collection

Started by Molch-R, 27 February, 2017, 06:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sintec

Having got to the end of the initial run of 80 it seems like the perfect time to look at some numbers. Including the Mega Collection we've now got all of the strip from 105 progs:

233, 320, 322-325, 327, 329-332, 334-345, 358-359, 363, 378-381, 383-385, 390-392, 405-406, 412-418, 425, 428, 430-433, 501, 507-508, 555-556, 562-563, 1077, 1092-1095, 1100, 1138, 1150, 1161, 1165-1167, 1183-1189, 1261, 1400, 1518-1520, 1523-1525, 1569-1573, 1616, 1650-1654, 1666-1671, 1675-1676, 1812

Counting up to Prog 2174 (the most recent Barney has data for) there are only 314 progs from which we've got none off the strips. 70 of those are from the 700-1000 range and 178 of them are from prog 1911 onwards. Although given that the UC started around the same time prog 2045 was released it's not that surprising we've not had much from 2045 onwards (Slaine - Archon and Caballistics - Visiting Hour being the only exceptions).

MumboJimbo

I love these kind of stats deep dives, so thanks for doing that!

Surprised the classic run circa prog 655 isn't in there, when we had Zenith Book 3, the Dead Man, pre-Necropolis Dredd, Song of the Surfer and Slaine Horned God. I guess that's because Zenith is creator owned? It would be great if some deal could be struck for the extensions.

Also I guess a large chunk around 400 isn't there because of Helltrekkers' long run. That was generally a great time for the prog with Nemesis Book 4, City of the Damned and Rogue finally getting the traitor general, although the later had the same effect on the strip as the reveal of Laura Palmer's killer did on Twin Peaks.

Hackenbush

Helltrekkers is in mega collection volume 68.

It will be something else omitted.

At the risk of proving myself to just want all the old stuff I remember shoved into the collection, I would not mind if Rouges Hit stories ended up in it. Steve Dillon can do no wrong. Even the convoluted wrap up story from the winter special was fun.

And how about a rest of Robo-hunter volume with the Peter Hogan / Rian Huges stuff, paired with the later Samantha Slade stories?

As for a Canon Fodder volume - make it focus on everything not already collected with art by Chris Weston. There are several Rogue trooper stories from specials, and a Robo Hunter one, as well as some early Dredd strips like Hottie U. Might be enough to make it work...

Or pair it with Maniac 5 

I would also love to see more artist themed Dredd Volumes - there is a lot of Peter Doherty work not collected yet ( Justice One, Roadkill etc).

sintec

As Hackenbush just posted, Helltrekkers made the Mega Collection (Volume 68 Cursed Earth Carnage).

It's mostly missing Future Shocks and Dredds that hold us back from complete progs in the early 400s. Then there's a run of Mean Team leading into the mid-400s followed by The Doppelgarp and Garpet Baggers which weren't included in the Ace Trucking books. And at the end of the 400s there's Metalzoic which we don't have (and I doubt we'll be getting). We've got 50% or more of the majority of the progs throughout this era, it's just rare we hit the 100% mark because of 1 or 2 missing pieces.

The 600s are actually quite sparse. We've got some near misses in the 650s where we've got everything except Zenith but either side of that there are a lot of issues where we've only got 1 or 2 strips. From that era we're missing things like Bradley, Bix Barton, Beyond Zero, Zippy Couriers, Armoured Gideon, Moonrunners, Indigo Prime, Medivac 618. We know we're getting Indigo Prime, it'll be interesting to see if any more of those make the 2nd extension.

don wiskerando

Could I politely ask, is there an easy to find list of what is covered in the initial extension?

I can't find anything definitive online.

IndigoPrime

As per oddball's post back in May, up to 111 are listed as follows:

81 - Flesh
82 - Firekind
83 - The Red Seas
84 - Lobster Random
85 - Savage:  The Guv'nor
86 - Ten-Seconders
87 - The Red Seas Vol 2
88 - Brink
89 - Fiends of the Eastern Front
90 - Greysuit
91 - VCs
92 - Indigo Prime
93 - The Red Seas Vol 3
94 - Dominion
95 - Savage:  Rise Like Lions
96 - Jaegir
97 - Grey Area
98 - Defoe
99 - Inigo Prime Vol 2
100 - VC's Vol 2
101 - The Red Seas Vol 4
102 - Mercy Heights
103 - Absalom
104 - Brink Vol 2
105 - The Order
106 - Grey Area Vol 2
107 - Defoe Vol 2
108 - Tales of Telguuth
109 - Tyranny Rex
110 - Judge Dredd:  the Small House
111 - Strontium Dog:  Repo Men

On Facebook, this is the official extension length, but Hachette reps have also stated 140 or 150 to various people.

IndigoPrime

@Hackenbush: Not sure I could stomach The Hit. Hogan/Hughes RH in colour would be nice, but Samantha Slade was dreadful. Would I want to put up with the latter for the former? Not sure, to be honest.

Artist-themed Dredd volumes would make sense, if they can be made to work well—and the two Hachette volumes have form in that.

@sintec: I think you're right that Metalzoic is a non-starter, given that it's owned by DC. I seem to recall Pat Mills saying there was a reprint happening, but it got canned. That's really sad, given that if a strip deserves lush HC treatment, it's that one. (That said, I prefer the 2000 AD mono treatment to the colour original.)

Dark Jimbo

Anyone here who's pre-ordered Caballistics book 2 (vol 80) from Forbidden Planet? Not recieved so much as a dispatch email yet and wondering when to start chasing.
@jamesfeistdraws

Jade Falcon

I phoned my local WH Smiths and apparently I have two books sitting which must be 79 and 80.  I ordered the collection before I moved, and I would prefer to have switched but since Smiths is a franchise its not so easy.  I would have to stop the order, get my deposit back and reorder in the Smiths in my town which would possibly mean a gap.  Alternatively there is another newsagents which might get it but there's always the chance of missing an issue.
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

leethomson

Just posted on Facebook:

QuoteHi everyone,
We currently have 140 issues planned for this collection. From issue 81 onward, all subscriptions will be standard with no further gifts. If you would not like this extension, please be assured you can cancel your subscription at issue 80 or 111 and you will still have a complete spine artwork. Send us PM and we're more than happy to get this sorted for you.
Apologies for the confusion and any inconveniences caused!

So still 29 mystery volumes - looking forward to see what they've got!

IndigoPrime

Ah, looks like someone took notice of my PM. Looks like another screw-up, then, because a letter was supposed to go out with 79/80, but no-one actually got it. Also, I finally got a password reset email, which I'm 100% certain was fired over manually, but I can now at least login to my account again!

levers

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 08 October, 2020, 04:55:21 PM
Anyone here who's pre-ordered Caballistics book 2 (vol 80) from Forbidden Planet? Not recieved so much as a dispatch email yet and wondering when to start chasing.

I'm waiting on issue 78 which I was charged for over a week ago. Emailed them this evening. Wondering if it's actually out of stock or they've got a backlog of orders to get through.

karlos

Just to pop back on the mentions of Abnett and Annihilation, the omnibus is due back out mid November,  with the long out of print sequel, Annihilation: Conquest, getting a reprint May 2021.

The Monarch

per the newest issue of 2000ad this week flesh is no 86 and the spine features part of jack dancer and erebus from red seas and one of the worms from the order

Arkady

Quote from: The Monarch on 12 October, 2020, 11:32:41 AM
per the newest issue of 2000ad this week flesh is no 86 and the spine features part of jack dancer and erebus from red seas and one of the worms from the order

How long until we see the full new spine art I wonder...