Main Menu

Staw Wars comics - where to start and what's good?

Started by mygrimmbrother, 29 June, 2012, 12:10:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mygrimmbrother

It's all in the thread title really - I've tried a few SW comics and found them to be of varying quality. Even the Wagner-scripted Shadows of The Empire wasn't particularly good. I imagine there must be a lot of editorial control over a franchise such as Star Wars which may well have hamstrung Mr Wagner, but I'm wondering - are there any truly great SW comics? If so I'd love to read 'em.

TordelBack

Best of the bunch for my money are the first Dark Empire (Cam Kennedy on fire and showing everybody how it should be done, but DO NOT bother with the sequels), the very fun 4,000-years earlier Knights of the Old Republic (no prior knowledge of any computer game things required, and not to be confused with the original Tom Veitch short), and set before and after the orginal movie Empire (the later Welles Hartley issues are the best) and Rebellion, the former leading directly into the latter, with our own Rob Williams at the helm for a good run and Colin Wilson doing some terrific art, before some stupid crossover derails the whole thing).

Many folk enjoyed Legacy, an enthusiastically OTT continuation of the story set 100-ish years after the movie.  It was okay, but a bit involved in Expanded Universe backstory.

Colin YNWA

Don't think its what you're after but I'm a big fan of the early Marvel issues. 70's and 80's adventure comics so its as you'd expect but often they were brilliant, mostly glorious to look at and always staggeringly good fun. Now they can be bought in those cheap Dark Horse omnibuses.... omnibi... more than one omnibus.

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Omnibus-Long-Ago/dp/1595824863

Kev Levell

IMO both the first Dark Empire's are worth it for Cam's wonderful artwork... agree that the second isn't 100% awesome on the story front, but it does have Boba Fett in it!

Link Prime

I'll second the recommendations for Dark Empire 1, but for me the most inner-fan pleasing Star Wars comic has to be 'Twin Engines of Destruction' (Boba Fett vs Jodo Kast....to the death).

briantm

Not read them myself but I've heard that the Star Wars Tales series is really good.  A series of one off stories.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_Tales

Zarjazzer

Can''t beat the Wagner and Cam Kennedy Boba Fett Murder most foul and whebt he, Fat Lady SWINGS. the Knights of the old republic trades are good value too.
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

Spikes

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 29 June, 2012, 08:26:32 AM
Don't think its what you're after but I'm a big fan of the early Marvel issues. 70's and 80's adventure comics so its as you'd expect but often they were brilliant, mostly glorious to look at and always staggeringly good fun. Now they can be bought in those cheap Dark Horse omnibuses.... omnibi... more than one omnibus.

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Omnibus-Long-Ago/dp/1595824863

Seconded. Never thought much of the later Star Wars comics, but those old Marvel ones are just great. Not sure if those omnibus editions collect everything that Marvel produce back in the day, but if you dont own, or dont wanna track down the originals, then you cant really go wrong with these.

locustsofdeath!

The old Jabba the Hutt one-shot series was cool and fun. Probably the only Star Wars comics I've reread several times, "The Gar Sapoon Hit" being my favorite.

The Adventurer

Dark Empire Trilogy and Tag and Bink Were Here

That's it really. Though Star Wars Legacy starts out really good.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Professor Bear

Anyone got an objective opinion on the Droids/Ewoks Omnibus?  That looks like a good slab of all-ages comics.

DrRocka

Boba Fett: Salvage is a nice little one off, and it's Wagner and Ezquerra too!
I've got Shadows of the Empire, which was pretty cool at the time it came out, and I've read a lot of other SW comics without being impressed, especially anything recent. Empire is good, though, as is its follow up Rebellion, and Rogue Squadron's quite good too.
Reckon that's about all of it for me, though....
Never ever bloody anything ever

vzzbux

Crimson Empire 1 and 2. Thoroughly enjoyed them both. The Royal Guard seems to be an element which is very much overlooked.
It was tapped into a little in Timothy Zahn's Specter of the past and Vision of the future Novels with Major Tierce.
I don't think there has been a Zahn Star Wars Novel I haven't liked. The Outbound flight is a must.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.