Main Menu

The Judge Dredd Database 1

Started by Darren Stephens, 24 October, 2014, 04:44:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Stephens

This may be of interest to some folks here. I was reminded of this earlier today while reading some comments on Facebook below some great Cliff Robinson artwork. Not sure if this is the Dredd 'Style Guide' mentioned there or if this was some sort of free gift given away at some point, but this was sent to me by then Tharg, Bish-Op. It contains designs, colour schemes and facts about the world of Dredd, including the bizarre list of (mostly) obvious DO's AND DON'TS....one of which was don't show Dredd killing anyone. I think that one went out the window pretty quickly..... ;)

https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

Frank

Quote from: Darren Stephens on 24 October, 2014, 04:44:14 PM
Not sure if this is the Dredd 'Style Guide' mentioned there or if this was some sort of free gift given away at some point, but this was sent to me by then Tharg, Bish-Op.

I remember those Cliff Robinson Dredd turnarounds being published as a feature in one of the specials, and thinking they were probably what the comic gave to new artists as a style guide.

Law number 5 suggests that booklet was an all purpose thing they might also have given to folk producing merchandise like RPGs, or companies who would sometimes place ads in the comic featuring crudely drawn crowd scenes (by non-prog artists) of Dredd arresting Dr Who while James T Kirk flirted with Emma Peel and an off-model Gort from The Day The Earth Stood Still urged the reader to visit Dave's Comics and Sci-fi Bookshop in Ipswich.

Dandontdare

The only reference I've come across about Dredd not killing anyone was Dave Bishop's instructions regarding the juve-focussed Lawman of the Future. From Wikipedia:
QuoteJudge Dredd – Lawman of the Future[79]
From the same publishers as 2000 AD, this was nevertheless a completely different version of Dredd aimed at younger readers. Editor David Bishop prohibited writers from showing Dredd killing anyone, a reluctance which would be completely unfamiliar to readers acquainted with the original version.[80] As one reviewer put it years later: "this was Judge Dredd with two vital ingredients missing: his balls."[81] It ran fortnightly for 23 issues from 1995 to 1996, plus one "Action Special."
- and the footnote tells me that that reviewer was Michael Carroll!

Darren Stephens

This booklet was printed in 1990, a few years before that movie! I think it's more than likely aimed at merchandise creators. I mean, Dredd kills regularly, but you wouldn't  want that on a lunch box, right? That is, I would, but parents might object, heh....  :lol:
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^