Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmallBlueThing

Haha! It's more that i cant resist a bargain when im up at tesco, like monster movies of all flavours, and have a special affection for really cheap american ones. I dont get the syfy channel, so never know where these things come from.

However, should they wish to employ me to publicise their output, id be happy to do so.

Also see that one with teenagers caught in caves full of spiders and a spider-worshipping cult, man-thing, spiders 2, flying virus (killer bees... on a plane!) and turbulance 2: heavy metal (killer goths... on a plane!).

SBT

Gonk

I don't know where you find the time to watch all these films between reading your Spiderman comics and wanking yourself off. Well done you. I'm impressed.

Just watched "A Handful of Dust". Not as famous as "Brideshead Revisited" or "Sword of Honour", this adaption of Evelyn Waugh's novel remains close to the novel in it's caustic portrayl of the upper classes. Waugh certainly hated them. This film includes Kristin Scott Thomas, Dame Judi Dench and James Wilby as the hapless Tony Last who manages to lose himself in a South American rainforest. This kind of biting satire makes you feel glad that you haven't been born with a silver spoon in your mouth. I wish they'd show this to the Upstairs Downstairs Downton Abbey mob!  ;)

coming at a cinema near you soon

SmallBlueThing

Careful Fonky, i think someone's relaeased finnegan's wake in klingon- that's another language for you to cum over.

SBT

brendan1

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 09 March, 2012, 07:41:00 PM
Careful Fonky, i think someone's relaeased finnegan's wake in klingon- that's another language for you to cum over.

SBT

Arf!

Gonk

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 09 March, 2012, 07:41:00 PM

SBT

ooooohhhhh! hhhiiisss sssphhhhittt! :lol:
coming at a cinema near you soon

HOO-HAA

Boys, boys. Put your cocks away, plleee-eaze!  ::)

Professor Bear

I really should not like Lake Placid, as it has a low body count for a monster movie (3 persons, and one of those happens offscreen several years before the film's story even begins), a rubbish monster (sorry, [spoiler]croc[/spoiler]-lovers!), a relatively banal setting and a cast that walk around being jerks to each other, but it all just works for me, especially the tack it takes where it counters the assumption that lovers of slasher/monster movies just want cheap jumps and rampant misanthropy in place of a decent script.  Fonda could do with eating a pie or two, and Pullman could have held out for some personality for his character as most of the work seems to have been put in by Fonda, Gleeson and Platt, the FX hold up well for a thirteen year old movie, and it's a decent little flick that proves you can do a monster film without just throwing gory deaths at the viewer every ten minutes.

Not a classic, but a pleasant surprise.

Colin YNWA

I bloomin' love Lake Placid. Not much of a monster picture as you say but the characters are great, particularly Brendan Gleeson as the Sheriff and its really all about how they interact. Great movie.

SmallBlueThing

As the wife was away for the night, and my creative endeavours hit a brick wall, I decided to relax with something I never get to watch, usually- The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2. Original version, not the recent awful sequel to excellent remake.

Ahhh, we go way back, me and Two-y. The dark days of the mid-eighties when this was released, and got banned almost immediately. Poor old Jim Ferman couldn't countenance a release in the UK, so we all had to go illegal and get copies off the black market. Mine was an nth generation that rolled incessantly, suffered colour dropout and sometimes sounded like everyone was speaking from inside a tin box. But my grud, I loved it, and watched it many many times.

These days it's easy to pop on a beautiful, spruced up DVD copy and enjoy what is effectively a tour-de-force of eighties horror heaven. Hooper's direction is probably the most assured it ever got, Savini's gore effects are still hungry for the limelight and Dennis Hopper brings a certain Hollywood respectability to what is at heart, a nasty, funny little film. There's so much here that still stands out- the Sawyer's underground carnival of horrors, Leatherface's chainsaw penis sequence (still grotesquely uncomfortable), Chop-Top's metal skull piece, and his scritch-scritch-scritching at it with the hook until you notice. "Sure cured my hems!", Stretch having to wear her friend's face, and best of all the final twenty minutes- and that incredible last shot of Stretch, clearly driven mad in a bizarre alien landscape of what appears to be termite hills and ricketty bridges totally cut off from civilisation- a woman who has somehow survived hell and who used to communicate for a living, now isolated beyond belief both from the wider world and any form of sanity, screaming incoherently against a backdrop that might as well be Mars... and then a truck goes past in the background, and you realise she's only a few metres from the highway. Still sends shivers up my spine.

Chainsaw 2 is often unfairly dismissed as the lesser sequel- but I've always felt that in many ways it's as good as, or superior to the original. Not to take anything away from Hooper's undoubted masterpiece- the first Texas Chain Saw Massacre is one of the Great American Horror Films- and in fairness Chainsaw 2 never offers anything quite so horrible as Leatherface's introductory sequence. But it tries very hard indeed, and- if you like your horror to batter you with sensory overload- is a supremely satisfactory experience.

SBT

Spikes

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 10 March, 2012, 09:12:35 AM
The dark days of the mid-eighties when this was released, and got banned almost immediately. Poor old Jim Ferman couldn't countenance a release in the UK, so we all had to go illegal and get copies off the black market. Mine was an nth generation that rolled incessantly, suffered colour dropout and sometimes sounded like everyone was speaking from inside a tin box.
SBT

Ahh, yes the old pirated shit quality VHS copies.
I caught Silence of the Lambs in that way, and it made it scarier as you couldnt quite make out what was going on. Watching it on telly a few years later it was like watching a different film.

HOO-HAA

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 10 March, 2012, 09:12:35 AM
Chainsaw 2 is often unfairly dismissed as the lesser sequel- but I've always felt that in many ways it's as good as, or superior to the original. Not to take anything away from Hooper's undoubted masterpiece- the first Texas Chain Saw Massacre is one of the Great American Horror Films- and in fairness Chainsaw 2 never offers anything quite so horrible as Leatherface's introductory sequence. But it tries very hard indeed, and- if you like your horror to batter you with sensory overload- is a supremely satisfactory experience.

SBT

Interesting. I had avoided all the sequels, believing the grapevine that told me they were terrible. Two worth a shot, then? It's not comedy horror, a la Friday 3 - 7 (with the exception of 4)?

SmallBlueThing

To be honest wayne, the only one that MUST be avoided is the fourth film- 'the next generation,' with renee zellwegger and matthew mcconaughy. That really is the most dire piece of cinematic garbage you can imagine. 2 is, as i say, glorious. 3 is written by david j schow and direced by the guy who did The Stepfather and stars ken foree. It was new line's attempt to start a new franchise, and is possibly one of the weaker ones but still a lot of fun. I love the remake, the sequel is dull but competent and the upcoming TX3D is one of my 'exciting things of the year'.

But yeah, definitely watch 2, 3 and the remake.

SBT

Professor Bear

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 10 March, 2012, 07:41:37 AM
I bloomin' love Lake Placid. Not much of a monster picture as you say but the characters are great, particularly Brendan Gleeson as the Sheriff and its really all about how they interact. Great movie.

I don't wish to alarm you, but they made a sequel and the biggest name in it was John Schneider, better known as Bo from the original Dukes of Hazzard tv show, and latterly as John Kent, the homophobic redneck dad of Clark Kent in Smallville.  I am happy to say that I have no intention of ever watching this.

I'm happy to say it, but it is a lie.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Professah Byah on 10 March, 2012, 01:58:21 PM
I don't wish to alarm you, but they made a sequel and the biggest name in it was John Schneider, better known as Bo from the original Dukes of Hazzard tv show, and latterly as John Kent, the homophobic redneck dad of Clark Kent in Smallville.  I am happy to say that I have no intention of ever watching this.

I'm happy to say it, but it is a lie.

I think that's a case of ignorance truly being bliss.

SmallBlueThing

There's also a lake placid 3, and john schneider is in snow beast as well...

SBT