Main Menu

Prog 2330: Mobile Infantry

Started by Bad City Blue, 28 April, 2023, 10:41:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bad City Blue

Just had to share Leonardo Manco's ARSOM cover. Sod misery guts "Niemand", Manco is a genius artist.

Easily cover of the year so far

Writer of SENTINEL, the best little indie out there

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

IndigoPrime

TBF, you can have a genius artist who is also hard to work with. Perhaps it's a case of maturity. Holding up a weekly because you're faffing with non-essentials isn't ideal. Perhaps he'll be more suited to covers.

norton canes

There's already a lot of competition for cover of the year. I will say though, this one has everything that the normally impeccable Cliff Robinson's slightly static Rogue cover the other week didn't

nxylas

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 28 April, 2023, 11:12:47 AMTBF, you can have a genius artist who is also hard to work with. Perhaps it's a case of maturity. Holding up a weekly because you're faffing with non-essentials isn't ideal. Perhaps he'll be more suited to covers.
I said pretty much the same thing on the 2000AD Facebook page. A new Brian Bolland, if you like.
AIEEEEEE! It's the...THING from the HELL PLANET!

IndigoPrime

Quote from: norton canes on 28 April, 2023, 02:50:24 PMThere's already a lot of competition for cover of the year. I will say though, this one has everything that the normally impeccable Cliff Robinson's slightly static Rogue cover the other week didn't
Well, I mean there's good competition for runner-up. *hugs Prog 2317 print*

JayzusB.Christ

That's just amazing.  One of the all-time great covers, maybe. 
What was Ken Niemand's beef with Manco anyway?  I missed that bit of gossip.  And I'm from small-town Ireland so I really need to know.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

nxylas

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 30 April, 2023, 11:17:38 AMThat's just amazing.  One of the all-time great covers, maybe. 
What was Ken Niemand's beef with Manco anyway?  I missed that bit of gossip.  And I'm from small-town Ireland so I really need to know.
Basically, he's extremely slow, and wastes time on unnecessary side projects, like redesigning the Lawmaster. The story he wrote that Manco drew had to be cut from 7 episodes to 6 to 4, just to get it finished. Same thing with the final episode of Slaine having to be delayed for three weeks because he hadn't completed it in time. I suspect that like Bolland, he is better off doing covers or one-shots in future.
AIEEEEEE! It's the...THING from the HELL PLANET!

JayzusB.Christ

Die Laughing springs to mind... thanks for filling me in, though. I remember when Bisley was a regular in the Megazine - his Sláine stuff was truly a revolution in comic art, but he certainly knew how to sacrifice quality for speed too.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 30 April, 2023, 04:32:10 PMhe certainly knew how to sacrifice quality for speed too.

I remember hearing that with 'Judgement on Gotham', he pencilled the whole thing right through, but then shuffled the pages before starting to paint them... which is brilliant, because it means that all the deadline-crunch pages aren't in the last quarter of the book.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

JayzusB.Christ

Now that's using your loaf.  I have to say, though, Judgement on Gotham didn't look rushed at all to me.  Not quite up there with his best stuff but brilliant all the same.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Colin YNWA

Well goshdamnit - this one has arrived BUT I've not had 2329 yet... what to do, what to do. Everytime (well almost) I ring for a replacement the late Prog lands a couple of days later...

IndigoPrime

A quick intro by Tharg, which confirms the FCBD will be a Harlem Heroes reboot, along with reprint of Pandora and Full Tilt. Dredd is a nice one-off by Edginton (it's been a while), which could act as the start of something (although, given Edginton's Prog history, we might need to wait a decade for a follow-up).

The letters page is an interesting one, with two letters digging into perceived issues with the way in which series are constructed. Personally, I agree with Tharg at the end – old series didn't always ease you in at any point either. Any long-running strip is going to have some kind of on-ramp. I do wonder, though, if there's space for certain strips to have some kind of intro episode (or a one-pager). The Order might have benefitted from that. (Durham Red, though, just needs In The Prog and you're up and running.)

Anyway, a Future Shock is next, which I thought was great. Funny stuff, and topical too, what with THE HANDS. Red was also excellent, with a suitably creepy big bad and some properly explosive action. I suspect this one will read really well when collected.

Enemy Earth is a dollop of exposition (which works well and has some good moments) while setting up the next journey. Again, it tonally feels off for Regened, but I'm enjoying it more as the story progresses. And then Rogue finishes things off, with a quite talky episode that nudges things on a notch.

In all, I thought there was a lot to like here. Everything was at least good, and next week we've got The Out briefly returning. Top stuff, Tharg!

Durham Red > Future Shock > Rogue > Dredd > Earth, but everything easily to the left of the barrier of meh. 5/5.

norton canes

Wow. What's better than getting a letter published in the prog? Two letters in the next Input agreeing with you! And not just agreeing, but emphasising your point in a far more eloquent manner. Props to either of the letter writers if they're on the board here.

I hope I still get my zarjaz graphic novel despite fomenting dissatisfaction among the Squaxx.

And if that wasn't enough of a shock we get a Future Shock where the biggest shock is who it's written by. As a fan of all things TARDIS related it was a complete surprise to see the name of long-time Doctor Who critic Elizabeth Sandifer on the credits and she turns in a good effort, written with great economy and sly humour. In fact the only non-shock was that it turned out in the end there was a problem related to talons (sorry non-Who people, that'll take far too long to explain) 

Rogue Trooper and Durham Red absolutely firing on all cylinders right now - amazing stuff, from the action to the humour... perfect. A nice Dredd too. Even Enemy Earth perks up with a more character-driven instalment.

And the cover's not bad either!