Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

radiator

It wasn't that specific was it? More sending up horror archetypes.

Buttonman

Hitler proves Anthony Hopkins' downfall in The Bunker before a tit in a hat stalks some gormless woman in Waiting for Forever

Frank

Sucker Punch. I solemnly vow never to venture outside my comfort zone (or give Zac Snyder another break) ever again.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: sauchie on 01 May, 2013, 10:00:07 PM
Sucker Punch. I solemnly vow never to venture outside my comfort zone (or give Zac Snyder another break) ever again.
I thought Sucker Punch was really mild. What made it hard to watch for you Sauchie?

Recrewt

Yeah, sucker punch was pretty bad. The story was all over the place and it kept flipping from one unrelated weird scenario to the next....[spoiler]then JR woke up and it had all been a dream!![/spoiler]

Mabs

Quote from: Recrewt on 01 May, 2013, 11:14:27 PM
Yeah, sucker punch was pretty bad. The story was all over the place and it kept flipping from one unrelated weird scenario to the next....[spoiler]then JR woke up and it had all been a dream!![/spoiler]

Hey man, some of us haven't seen the film yet (well this person at least!) Cover that shit up!  ;)
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Richmond Clements

I have used my god-like powers to add spoiler tags - but then again, the movie is utter rubbish and doesn't deserve it...

Mabs

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 01 May, 2013, 11:23:41 PM
I have used my god-like powers to add spoiler tags - but then again, the movie is utter rubbish and doesn't deserve it...

Heh, cheers nonetheless, Richmond!  :D
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Recrewt

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry guys that was supposed to be a Dallas reference but a quick Internet search has shown it was actually [spoiler]Pamela Ewing that had dreamed Bobby's death.[/spoiler]

I was just trying to convey how confused I was when watching it.

Mabs - you're enjoyment of Sucker Punch is untarnished!

I, Cosh

There was nothing confusing about Sucker Punch other than why on Earth anyone thought it was worth releasing in the first place.
We never really die.

Satanist

Sucker Punch is like watching someone else play a computer game and just as entertaining.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

JamesC

I enjoyed Sucker Punch (but then I quite enjoy watching other people play computer games)!

It didn't have the strongest story line but I don't think that was the point exactly. I see it as comparable to one of those old anthology horror films where there is a very simple story set up as a framing device for smaller stories.
Sucker Punch takes this device and applies it to a series of music-video/computer-game style fantasy sequences.

Hawkmumbler

Short Night of the Glass Dolls: Aldo Lado, the most under appreciated giallo director of them all. This is truly insane and amazing stuff.

shaolin_monkey

On the subject of Suckerpunch, while I was haing my back tattoo done the guys in the studio entertained me with tons of films.  One of them was Suckerpunch.  It was painful to watch.  God, what an appalling film.  It was so painful it actually took my mind off the feeling of searing red hot pain as a needle scored my skin with a pneumatic 150 hits a second.

Frank

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 01 May, 2013, 10:02:47 PM
Quote from: sauchie on 01 May, 2013, 10:00:07 PM

I thought Sucker Punch was really mild. What made it hard to watch for you Sauchie?

What everyone else wrote (above), young Hooermonger. I didn't hate it and it wasn't the worst thing I've ever seen, but it tried my patience mightily. There are lots of individual bits of production design on show which are wonderful (the Hunnish troops in the trench warfare scenes and their spooky eyes were a highlight) and I'm all in favour of the bricolage approach to forcing different aesthetics, narratives and genres together and letting the interplay of those elements cohere and find their own meaning in the mind of the viewer - I'd just prefer it to be done with greater panache than was in evidence here.

The aesthetic and tone seemed to be lifted wholesale from Jeunet and Caro, but the practical effects and production design of their films was replaced by some of the most technically inept and insipid CGI work I can remember witnessing in a mainstream film. Whereas J & C bring a playful, light-comedic touch to matters of sexuality, Sucker Punch marries unremarkable voyeurism, and the attempt to lend gravitas to the candyfloss fabula by bringing child rape (!) to the party is disastrously misjudged. I think child rape's an excellent subject for a film; but not a film which is a cross between Resident Evil 4 and Showgirls.