Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charlie boy

I've never watched Bourne Legacy. The trailer made it look a bit bad TV movie with its "We've perfected him with the DNA of a cheetah to make him faster, the DNA of a bear to make him stronger..." etc.

Professor Bear

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 20 December, 2012, 12:32:40 PMWhat I found particularly baffling about it was the fact that they made repeated references to what Jason Bourne was doing concurrently with the events in the film, essentially saying the audience: "There's an actual Jason Bourne story going on at the same time as this one, but we're showing you this story, in which you have investment, instead..."

I just assumed that was stuff that happened in previous films they were referring to, though I like the idea that the cameraman got lost while looking for JB and just followed some random plonk instead.

Hawkmumbler

Gremlins: My christmas viewing. Love this film.

Professor Bear

Paul I did not find funny at all, which is really odd because I definately remember laughing at all these jokes when I saw them in other things ten years ago.  It also suffers from a really uneven tone that's highlighted by the lack of awareness of the many cliches it relies upon, up to and including the ending of the first Pokemon movie - but hey, if that shit was good enough for Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, then it's good enough for anything!  The script is also just not good.
A poor outing.

Ted is odd for a Seth McFarlane story in that it's message of "being an obnoxious dick is something you should grow out of eventually" is kind of like Nuts or Zoo running articles about how you shouldn't wank to pictures of half-dressed Hollyoaks actresses, because it is basically slapping McFarlane's fans in the face.  Ted himself should really be a detestable creature, but he just sounds like someone's dad stumbling on good advice every now and then, like when he tells Marky Mark to man up and make an effort with his girlfriend and stop whining like a child at his own bad decisions, ultimately making Ted devoid of the malice that usually mars Mcfarlane anthropomorphic creations like Roger or Brian.  Its got a predictable plot in the same way Paul has, but it makes up for it by having the bits in between actually be funny.  Surprisingly good.

radiator

Die Hard
Gremlins
Home Alone 1&2
Knowing Me, Knowing Yule
National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation
Scrooged!

That's most of my Christmas films out the way - just need to fit The Box of Delights in sometime before Tuesday!

Spikes

The Legend of Hell House - 1973.

Cheesy in the extreme, but i love it. And its made that little bit scarier by watching it at this time of year.
(The film is set late December,  ;)).

SmallBlueThing

Quote from: Judge Jack on 20 December, 2012, 09:32:21 PM

Cheesy in the extreme, but i love it. And its made that little bit scarier by watching it at this time of year.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds this still scary- bits of Legend genuinely give me the willies. The big ghost-hoover is very silly, but surrounding that is a deeply wonderful horror film. Must watch it again very soon.

SBT

Greg M.

Quote from: Judge Jack on 20 December, 2012, 09:32:21 PM

Absolutely superb film (with a Delia Derbyshire soundtrack, no less!) Roddy McDowall gets some of the choicest dialogue of his career in this one: the bit where he lists all the deviant activities that have taken place in the house is pitch-perfect in its delivery and remains one of my favourite moments in a film.

Hawkmumbler

Watched Dario Argento's Suspiria last night. Still a stone cold classic of film making.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 21 December, 2012, 09:19:51 AM
Watched Dario Argento's Suspiria last night. Still a stone cold classic of film making.

Having seen this film not to long ago it worries me deeply. Not for the reasons its meant to but 'cos I think I'm the only person that thinks its hack nonsense.

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 21 December, 2012, 09:58:05 AM
Quote from: Hawkmonger on 21 December, 2012, 09:19:51 AM

Having seen this film not to long ago it worries me deeply. Not for the reasons its meant to but 'cos I think I'm the only person that thinks its hack nonsense.
No, no you're not.
I think Agrento is a director of meagre talent.

Hawkmumbler

Argento is very much a prodigy of Mario Bava, but it has to be said that Suspiria maxes the Bava chique to the extreme. It's a great film, though Bird with the Crystal Plumage and Deep red tie as my favourat Argent efferts.

Bolt-01

MIB3. Really enjoyed it. Much more than I thought I would. Thought K was looking old though.

Van Dom

I just watched the Legend of Hell House last night for the first time. Its brilliant. And Pamela Franklin was a hottie!
Van Dom! El Chivo! Bhuna! Prof T Bear! And More! All in Vanguard Edition Three, available now. Check the blog or FB page for details!

VANGUARD COMIC!

VANGUARD FACEBOOK PAGE!

Dandontdare

The Hobbit (proper-ish review elsewhere)

Cringing at the thought of another six hours of this.