Main Menu

your body's effect on radio reception

Started by WoD, 08 February, 2008, 01:47:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoD

Does anyone know (exactly) why it is that the body can effect the reception of a radio (for the better) when it is in close contact, but not actually in contact with the radio?  For example, I have a small FM radio next to me that is tuned in to some crappy station with not so good reception, but if my hand goes within 3/4" (19 mm) or so, the reception is perfect (music is still crappy though).

I'm clearly aiding the aerial somehow, but how?  Is it the body's 'magnetic field' or some such thing that has this effect?

Hoagy

I got a Simpson's Shower Radio. It has the same effect.

Thanks for bringing it up.
would like to know too

Krom
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract

Demon Chicken

It probably involves some strange complicated physical law involving black holes and such like.

SamuelAWilkinson

As far as I'm aware, you're probably more likely to be blocking the general interefence than boosting the signal. Here's an experiment for you: work out which direction the local radio transmitter's in and stand between that and the radio.
Nobody warned me I would be so awesome.

the shutdown man

I have noticed that too once or twice with the radio in the kitchen. I thought it was some as-yet untapped power unique to me. Ah, feck.......
You're at the precipice Tony, of an enormous crossroads.

Satanist

Well my TV aerial blew down and I've been using one of those crappy internal ones. Just like above when I have my hand (or anything else I fancy using) near the aerial the picture is better than when I move back to my comfy viewing position. I just thought I was adding to the receiving mass somehow.

Where's Zoe Balls dad when you need him?
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

vzzbux

Your body acts as an antenna, boosting the signal.
So I did learn some stuff in the army.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Trout

Never mind all that - get a digital radio.

They're great.

- Trout

ukdane

If I buy a digital radio, can I only pick up Digital stations available in the local area (Danish Radio) or can I expereice the wonders of what Aunty has to offer?
Cheers

-Daney

TordelBack

...can I expereice the wonders of what Aunty has to offer

This has been on my mind too.  I live for Radio 4, but struggle to get decent analogue reception in the Free State (I know, I know, but I'd happily pay the Beeb's licence fee if they asked), so when I'm away from my WiFi it's crackle-crackle-hiss.  Will a digital radio help, or (St. Gay help me) am I doomed to the excuse for national broadcasting that my RTE license fee is wasted on?  

And will it help if I touch it?

WoD

Digital radio...pah...internet lined radios...that's the way to go (apparently).

ukdane

internet lined radios

Aren't they limited by the fact they need to be connected to the internet, wi-fi or otherwise.

Tordel: It isn't a BBC license fee, it's a tv license fee, which is used to fund Beeb programmes.
Cheers

-Daney

TordelBack

It isn't a BBC license fee, it's a tv license fee, which is used to fund Beeb programmes.

True, true, and I know you haven't needed a licence for radio in the UK since before I was born, but I still feel like a bit of a post-colonial sponge begging for better reception while not coughing up for in any fashion on the advert-free Beeb.  95% of teh licensing money I pay to the Irish government goes to RTE, and I still have t pit up with bloody Harvey Norman, while I'd happily pay a fair few quid for Just a Minute and the Shipping Forecast alone.

ukdane

Well, I'm actually with you in as much as, if the Beeb offered an-Expat "license-fee" to get British channels, I'd pay for it, but they don't, so I'll take what I can get.

So can I get digital radio?
Cheers

-Daney

vzzbux

I would be quite happy for the beeb to have adverts rather than forking out X amount of notes for the TV license, even though the beeb are littered with adverts for their own programs anyhow. But as long as the Govt take their cut it will always be here.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.