Main Menu

Nemesis Book II poll

Started by Alan Barnes, 26 June, 2002, 06:37:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Campbell

"But compare it with someone like Simon --- ? --- was it Howard? --- who did Armoured Gideon."

Simon Jacob, if memory serves.

Whilst I can see that his style might not be everyone's cup of tea, I found it a welcome change from the legions of constipated Bisley clones who were running amok all over the comic about the time Gideon was running ...

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

satchmo

I agree Smiley,The Time Machine is one of the best thrills that has ever been in 2000ad,and deserves to be seen again,as do almost all of the other one off stories by a certain Mr A.Moore..
But Time Machine in particular,its beautiful in the truest sense of the word.

paulvonscott

If you look at the story however you'll wonder how it ever got into a kids comic.  Great stuff.

Redondo did the people living on the sun and the hitcher ones, bothe great shakes.

The problem for Redondo is that his style just wasn't that cool at the time.  Now it's easy to say it's great, but back then when you had the likes of ewins, ezquerra, O'neill and bolland it all looked a bit odd.

newcastleno9

It may seem forgotten , but Return to Armageddon was always one of my fav 2000 stories / artwork !

Smiley

I agree/disagree with your comparison, PVS. I've always rated Redondo alongside the artists you mentioned and it's nothing to do with hindsight or what was cool at the time.

Redondo's problem was he got offered a lot of rubbish (with a few notable "Time Twisters" excepted) in his time on 2000AD. He made the early stuff work, though. While he had something to prove.

One of the early strips he did was the MACH 1 story "The Planet Killers", with a big punch-up on a space shuttle. This had really good and extremely evil artwork for such a piss-poor story. (You'd swear the villain, Tex, was getting a hard-on as he throttled MACH 1, possibly echoing the editorial staffs sentiments). But by the end of the awful "Return To Armageddon" he ran out of steam and had Nemesis Book II to start.

There were a couple of problems with Nemesis Book II. Redondo gamely stepped in at short notice when Kevin O'Neill fell behind and went off to prepare for Book III instead. Redondo did a good rush-job in such a short time. Besides, Nemesis was Kevin O'Neill's baby art wise, you couldn't imagine anyone else drawing it. It took the mighty Bryan Talbot to stamp that idea out, but only after Redondo cleared the way.

Unfortunately, todays newer readers may only be able to judge Redondo by his reappearance on a lacklustre "Missionary Man" not that long ago and the reprint of Nemesis Book II. I say he deserves a new original strip in 2000AD.

paulvonscott

I'm not sure how you agree or disagree with me smiley, but 2000AD to me was all about new and interesting styles, very few of the older artists were praised at the time, and it's only recently their value ahs been re-assessed.

newcastleno9

Thank god for views & opinions , some people loving one thing others hating it , my view was that Redondo was always one of the best purely because his style was different !
I,d agree with the idea of him getting a top new story to work on !

paulvonscott

Well there has been a change of general consesnus between now and then, even though some people did appreciate him at the time.  There certaibnly has for me anyway :)

To me it just seemed like traditional seventies comic book art at the time.  Something I always associated with shockingly written stories, so I wasn't as keen back then.  Now, I love it.

Oddboy

Glad so many of you definitely/probably would like to see Redondo's Nemesis again. I would, too, which is why it's down to be reprinted in Megazines 4.16-4.18.

I take it that it's not going to be in next month's Meg now, seeing as this months says that Titan will be publishing it in their new Nemesis run & that you've got this Scarlet thingummybob lined up.

Better set your phaser to stun.

Marbles

Yeh I thought the next reprint in the Meg was 'Fiends Of The Eastern Front'.
Sounds like Harry 20 after that..which is a bugger after shelling out ?3 for the BO2K's for it.
Remember - dry hair is for squids