Main Menu

Meg 424 - Thirty Megnificent Years

Started by jrdd, 13 September, 2020, 02:39:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

broodblik

Quote from: Max Headroom on 18 September, 2020, 01:08:57 PM
Broodblik - This aborted story also appeared at the end of 'The Complete Bad Company' graphic novel which you may own or want to pick up.

Thanks, I do own it. Can not remember that I actually read it  :(.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

broodblik

Here is another article but mostly covered in the other articles:

https://downthetubes.net/?p=121511
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

wedgeski

I'm amazed by how Wagner's Dredd remains so distinctive. As an opener to an amazing issue of the Meg, it was quite something.

I'm not hugely educated in the modern history of 2000AD...should we expect this to be a novelty one-off? Is Wagner even writing full time these days?

broodblik

I think we will get less and less of Wagner's Dredd. We must enjoy it will it last. Wagner is still busy, he just recently released the awesome Rok the God.

repoman

I'm not 100% sure about this new Judge Death story.

Obviously it's got the right people behind it but the set up (a Death-obsessed space cult) is a little lacking for me.

There was something so sinister about the Dominion and Torture Garden and that made them really stand out.  But I'm not sure how many times you can repeat the trick.

Proudhuff

Well, with the exception of Judge Death getting his braces caught in the car door, everything about this Megazine is wonderful!! Well done Tharg for pulling this off under C19, Great to have the Big W back on Dredd and the Alt-Meg is a cracker too, the young Judges and lawless flawless too.
DDT did a job on me

Freddychopper

Managed to grab the last copy my local WH Smiths. Was worried it had sold out. Fantastic issue on first glance. Only read Deliverance yet. Amazing grisly art and looks like a great start to the Torture Garden follow up. Noticed the paper quality inside seems better than usual as well but I'm guessing that's just for this Anniversary issue? Cuppa strong coffee and on to the rest!

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: wedgeski on 21 September, 2020, 10:47:53 AM
I'm amazed by how Wagner's Dredd remains so distinctive. As an opener to an amazing issue of the Meg, it was quite something.

I'm not hugely educated in the modern history of 2000AD...should we expect this to be a novelty one-off? Is Wagner even writing full time these days?

Sadly not; he's been winding down to retirement for a long time now and only occasionally writes a Dredd script.  And you can't really blame him - he wrote Dredd almost single-handedly for decades, and the quality of his work never so much as wavered. 

On another note, while of course Mike Carroll and Rob Williams are playing a blinder, my favourite ever non-Wagner Dredd writer was Al Ewing, and I'd put some of his one-offs into the category of best Dredd one-offs ever, including Wagner's.  (Though I'll always have a lot of love for Grennie's first Planet Gary one-off too.)
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

ianlineham@yahoo.com

Seriously, get the podcasts, and read Lawless with the soundtrack ...

Darren Stephens

Dan Cornwell knocks it out of the park on this. Great to see a more serious tone to his art. Superb stuff!
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

TordelBack

Quote from: Darren Stephens on 25 September, 2020, 07:25:55 PM
Dan Cornwell knocks it out of the park on this. Great to see a more serious tone to his art. Superb stuff!

Yeah,  it's actually amazing how quickly I went from "shit, I was really enjoying Colin! ' to 'hey,  this is really good! '.  It's obvious Cornwell and Wagner have that all-important rapport.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: davidbishop on 13 September, 2020, 10:40:09 PM
Quote from: jrdd on 13 September, 2020, 02:39:23 PM
you see Mr. Bishop, if you're reading, proof that the crossover strategy worked...

Bwa-ha-ha! My opportunistic marketing spivery worked!

:lol: :lol:
Just noticed this post.

Didn't work on me, mind you - I couldn't afford the Meg back then anyway, and only read the rest of Judgement Day in later years. I didn't mind too much, though; I wasn't a fan of Ennis Dredd at all and didn't feel like I was missing out too much.  (Little did I know that I was missing quite a bit, given the quality of the rest of the Meg at the time.)

I did manage to read both sides of Wilderlands though, thanks to summer factory jobs and a far-too-tempting student overdraft.  Far from the greatest Wagner Dredd epic ever, but essential reading given the gripping political shindigs leading up to it and resulting from its conclusion.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Apestrife

Quote from: broodblik on 17 September, 2020, 04:40:33 AM
Another article on what the meg could have been:

https://neotextcorp.com/culture/the-megazine-that-never-was/?ct=t(EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_19_09_02_COPY_01)

I find the concept of "Bad Company" quite interesting

That Helltrekker page in colour. Wonder if it means a collection in colour is in the works?

The Sherman Kid

Congratulations to all on 30 years!! An amazing achievement

Cover Perfect. One of the best ever -a real eye- catcher

Dredd Anything by Wagner and I'm in -great episode (do we know why the art changed mid-way?)

Megatropolis Mmmm not sure what to make of this. Love the art but it's by the numbers noir and I agree with Tordleback it comes across partly as very heavy handed 'humour'. I don't feel we need this alt-history spin-off. Been a while since we had a strip set in another city -that would be more interesting

Dreadnoughts Superb opening page, great start and very promising -One query though how does Glover just disregard a direct order without consequence -that was unclear. Still looking forward as to how this develops

Anderson Anderson generally seems to have fallen from her lofty heights where she used to have solid stories and interesting character developments. Now she comes across as rather staid and boring -which really needs turning around as she used to be a fan favourite -including me.

This story has a good title (nice touch dunthinkin  :D) and interesting premise but doesn't really go anywhere. The detail also seems off-
* Anderson can paralyse at will now?
*They carry boing wherever they go?
*Shakta is no longer blind but somehow still looks blind?
* She later thanks boss for getting 'resources' for sight -why wouldn't they do it, a PSI is valuable?
*Shakta orders pizza, watches netflix on phone or does something incredibly important whilst Anderson is in trouble just FEET away -with a whole page of dialogue passing before she returns.
*Some very clunky and off dialogue

Anderson needs a reboot methinks with fresh writers.

Deliverance A welcome return with the same exquisite artwork -bit of easy exit for Judge Death with another 'death cult', still intrigued to see where it goes

Lawless Loved it. the art is jaw-dropping in it's detail (can't believe they belted it out on the cloud -excellent  :lol:. A classic episode for me.

TordelBack

Quote from: The Sherman Kid on 27 September, 2020, 04:25:37 PM
One query though how does Glover just disregard a direct order without consequence -that was unclear.

I thought that it might be an indication that Glover actually understands the role and power of the Judges - her superior is still mired in ideas of policing and due process.