Main Menu

Moments

Started by Fifty, 23 November, 2001, 09:46:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fifty

Having thought about the bigger picture in my last thread I wanted to think about some moments.  You know, those moments that really make a story special.  I'm going to nominate a few favourite moments, and invite you to do the same in the hope we can decide what has really made 2000AD special for the last twenty years.

My first and foremost "moment" is Max Bubba asking Johnny Alpha "Why are you doing this to me" and JA replying "Because I hate you" in Rage

Next is the Sisters of Death over Mega City One on a double page spread screaming "It will be our masterpiece...masterpiece...masterpiece...." during Necropolis

Third comes Nikolai Dante killing Konstantin.

The old veteran (name anyone? my Titan book is in England, I am in Japan) telling Halo Jones that figs don't wear earrings in HJ book3.

Final nomination for now, ND killnig the lined up prisoners in The Romanov Empire.

What do you all think?  Can anyone help refresh my memory of old stories by coming up with some really old "moments"?

Matt

Hi Fifty, welcome to the board. This moment has often been described as the greatest moment in 2K history, so I'll jump in now before anyone else does. Dredd in Judge Death Lives "Gaze into the fist of Dredd". That one panel sums up the whole ethos of Dredd. Forget Dredd having doubts in Tale of the Dead Man - this is pure genius.

MATT

Dominic O'Rourke

I know it's old, but that scene sticks with me
Member No. 10

Wood

Fifty

That truly was hysterical.  Think I'll read it again now...

McNulty

A couple of the most memorable moments for me came in the final frames of some of my favourative old 2000ad stories. Who can forget Blackhawk and Co fading away or Ace Garp taking the Nightlight Flight (Okay, technically this wasn't the end of Ace's story but we didn't know that at the time). Outside of this thread, Another great moment was in Portrait of a Mutant, when my namesake Middenface shouts out defiantly "We'll gi'e thae scunnerin' Kreelers laldy an' nae mistake!"

nemesis

I like the ABC Warriors story where Deadlok makes the preacher confess:
I am not worthy to suck the toe jam from your trainers!
I am not worthy to lick the scum from your bath!

Magic moments indeed

Fifty

Yeah, the night flight was sad, and the toe jam bit had me in stitches.  The first half of Khronikles of Khaos was great, but he ABC Warriors have gone downhill ever since.  Mind you I loved Dealock drawn by Henry Flint.

jont

The last page of Book two, part eight.
 "Nobody died tonight."

But then with Halo Joes most every page has a momeant worth note.

Tu-plang

hey, when's book four of that coming, anyhoo?

Fifty

Actually, when Rodice asks, where are you going and Halo says

Out.... Just out.

That was good.

jont

Quite possibly never.

Unless... Every one here on the message board decides to bomb 2000ad's e-mail with requests.

But seriously are there or have there been any plans to bring Moore back to finish it?

jont

It's interesting to note that Halo Jones takes the top two possitions in the top thrills section.
Plus I think the new paper back was doing some good business.

Tu-plang

"Quite possibly never."

Oh, well... Listen,  I'm a bit upset about that.

"Unless... Every one here on the message board decides to bomb 2000ad's e-mail with requests."

I doubt Ala Moore's heart would warm to something like that, it's really through no fault of Rebellion's.

"But seriously are there or have there been any plans to bring Moore back to finish it?"

Yes, man there have been many.  When I saw Ian Gibson's work in Prog 2001 I saw this as the first step, alas nothing more has happened.  The prolem is getting Alan Moore back to our nifty little comic on a pisspoor pay-cheque.

O Lucky Stevie!

>The prolem is getting Alan Moore back to our nifty little comic on a pisspoor pay-cheque.

actually, from what andy diggle was saying in an issue of tripwire (sorry, can't remember which; that will learn me for reading it in the shop so i can spend the money on comicsm won't it, kids?) that what alan is concerned isn't the size of the paycheck but the question of copyright: alan would return to 2000ad if he was given the ownership of every single one of the characters & milieus he created for 2000ad. andy felt that as much as he'd love to welcome alan back into the fold, it would be rather unfair to offer such a deal to alan alone but not john wagner, alan grant & pat mills, each of whom have made as significant contributions to 2000ad...after which, the comic itself would no longer own the copyright to the majority of its contents, which would weaken rebellion's position as a publisher.

at least we've three books of sush impeccable beauty, & for that i feel blessed.

steven lenfant terrible
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"