Main Menu

Qualifying 1: 5 - Steve Parkhouse or Guy Adam - Ultimate Not Wagner Tournament

Started by Colin YNWA, 08 May, 2020, 06:58:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Well for me this one is particularly i nteresting. One of my favourite artists, but one with a good track record behind the keyboard against a relative newbie (in Tharg's terms!) with a couple of current hits behind him. Let's see whose writing for Tharg do you prefer?

Steve Parkhouse - http://www.2000ad.org/?zone=droid&page=thrills&Comic=2000AD&Field=Writer&choice=stevepa

OR

Guy Adam - https://shop.2000ad.com/creators/guy-adams (you can get a series list at the bottom of the screen)

Whose 2000ad writing do you prefer? Voting - just add a comment here with whose work you prefer (and anything else you might wish to say to discuss their work) closes sometime Friday 15th May?

What the heck is all this about? https://forums.2000ad.com/index.php?topic=46406.0

Next face off starts tomorrow...

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

abelardsnazz

I haven't read any of Guy Adam's work so will have to say Steve Parkhouse. Can't remember much about Kola Kommandos though.

Greg M.

IndigoPrime

Tiger Sun, Dragon Moon was pretty good; Parkhouse's other stuff was... less good. (His art, however, is superb, and I wish he'd come back to the Prog).

Adams gets the nod for me here, purely for Hope.

ming

Dark Jimbo

Parkhouse's art is superb, his writing credits for Tooth are... okay. So I'm voting Guy Adams. I haven't read Hope but enjoyed his 3rillers, Max Normals and Dredd's. I may be alone in this but I even enjoyed Ulysess Sweet!
@jamesfeistdraws

Funt Solo

I guess the 2000 AD Shop doesn't do a very good database. For Guy Adams (up to 2016) I've got:

Ulysses Sweet: Maniac for Hire - Centred (p2014-1869)
Future Shocks: Multiplicity (M339)
Rogue Trooper: Dregs of War (SFS'14)
Tharg's 3rillers: Voodoo Planet (1888-1890)
Rogue Trooper: The Feast (WS'14)
Max Normal: No Comics for Old Men (p2015)
Ulysses Sweet: Maniac for Hire - Psycho Therapist (p2015-1917)
Rogue Trooper: Death of a Demon (SFS'15)
Rogue Trooper: Shore Leave (SFS'16)
Hope ... for the Future (2011-

Purely on the strength of the first episode of Hope, my vote is for Guy Adams.

---

(I really did enjoy Tiger Sun, Hidden Dragon a lot, though.)
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Funt Solo

Quote from: abelardsnazz on 08 May, 2020, 08:26:56 AM
Can't remember much about Kola Kommandos though.

I wrote, somewhat disparagingly (although I was trying to be neutral), this summary:

QuoteHector Doldrum, a suit who works for the ethically moribund Okay Kola Kompany, investigates the mysterious other-dimensional eighth floor of his office to find evil experiments ago-go, and then is sacked. He falls in with the Kola Kommandos, a militant group who are attacking the OKK. And then an obese guy in a cape (Captain Cholesterol) is sent after him (even though they just kicked him out) and also an invincible moon-man. And there are sentient teddy bears in a weird dream dimension. It's like someone read Third World War in Crisis, then took the RPGs Paranoia, Toon & Traveller before just rolling on a bunch of random encounter tables and calling it a plot.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

CalHab

Adams. Hope... was great piece of Vertigo-esque noir and the Max Normal series had some great use of language.

TordelBack

I love Parkhouse's art, the man is a genius, and Tiger Sun Dragon Moon was a good if-uncomfortably-shoehorned story.  But his writing contribution to the House of Tharg really doesnt compare to to that of Guy Adams. I'm sure I'll wax specific about Adams in the next round 'cos I'm a fan, but for now, I'll just say my vote is for Adams.

Bolt-01

Woolly

I'm voting Guy Adams, but still rate Parkhouse as a great writer, almost on par with his artwork.

Please Tharg, give Steve Parkhouse the writing reins for Luke Kirby, and get John Ridgeway to draw it all!
Pleeeeeeaaaaase!