Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Famous Mortimer

Bloodfist 3: Forced To Fight

Instead of some sort of martial arts movie, not an unrealistic expectation given its title and star, we find a fairly good and dark prison drama, with a smidge of fighting in it.

Goaty

Oh, The Raid 2 is on Netflix UK, not see it yet

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Goaty on 13 February, 2015, 05:53:23 PM
Oh, The Raid 2 is on Netflix UK, not see it yet
It's weird and brilliant, a 90 minute blast of martial arts insanity with an hour of gang and political intrigue on top.

Bloodfist 4: Die Trying
Best of the series so far by miles. Don "The Dragon" Wilson is a repo man who takes a black BMW with some nuclear triggers in it, and all sorts of different groups want them and him. Surprisingly great, I think, and on Youtube for nothing.

Tiplodocus

SABOTAGE
Having enjoyed Fury, I thought I'd check out some more David Ayers. This one's about a load of DEA agents on the make. Someone has ripped off their ill gotten gains but is it a drug cartel or is the baddie closer to home?

It has a phenomenal cast at least six of which normally exude an easy charm on  screen but not this time. Everybody is a completely self-obsessed unlikeable as shoe. It's like watching a hyper violent episode of IT'S ALWAYS SUNNY IN PHILADELPHIA.

Arnold is better than  usual which bodes well for King Conan but he still manages to make some physical actions look like it's the first time he has ever done them.

It is unpleasantly violent for no real reason and this also makes it hard going.

Shame - I thought this would be the first time I got to see Arne in something that was not coming  book or cartoon but by the end, it has reverted to type.

Short version - Sabotage? More like Saboshit!
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

radiator

Kingsman: The Secret Service.

Liked it, didn't love it.

I quite like Matthew Vaughn's films - I'm glad that someone is still making high-concept genre movies with a bit of balls, even if they often have a bit of a misogynist streak about them. I just don't think this one held together anywhere near as well as Kick-Ass or First Class, and quite often went way too far with the craziness to the point of demented incoherence.

While the scrappy, low budget feel worked for Kick-Ass, I feel like the obvious budgetary constraints really worked against presenting a would-be globe-trotting Bond epic - it all felt very small scale for a reason I can't quite put my finger on. Inter-cutting every action scene with various heroes and villains reaction shots as they watch each other lent them a really goofy silliness. I also feel that the real focus of the film should have been the training of the main character and the odd couple dynamic of Firth and Egerton which worked great - far too much time was spent on the incredibly convoluted and silly supervillain plot, and I feel like Eggsy got far too little screen time and development. I came away wishing they'd streamlined the script a bit more as it felt like a bit of a mess, and a bit overlong. It also felt tonally all over the shop, especially during the ending. I'm thinking that I'd like to see Vaughn tackle another franchise type movie where his excesses are reined in a bit.

I see what they were going for with the [spoiler]bumsex[/spoiler] 'gag', but it capsized the whole ending for me. A bit of a cringeworthy and depressing note to end on.

As a whole, the film certainly got some interesting reactions from the packed audience, so fair play.

JOE SOAP

Interesting to see 3 R-rated films occupy top spots at the US box-office: 1,2 & 4.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/

Hawkmumbler

Fuck 50 Shades of Grey and it's romanticisation if domestic abuse. >:(

radiator

QuoteInteresting to see 3 R-rated films occupy top spots at the US box-office: 1,2 & 4.

Huh. I've never really understood the aversion to the R rating - I mean, horror films are almost always profitable, and they're usually R rated.

Is it just a perception that R rating = less profit, and every time an R rated movie fails it keeps reinforcing itself?

Tiplodocus

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 15 February, 2015, 10:41:56 PM

I will plead ignorance here having only a vague inkling of what it's about but I thought it was all consensual stuff.

Dandontdare

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 15 February, 2015, 11:50:15 PM

I will plead ignorance here having only a vague inkling of what it's about but I thought it was all consensual stuff.

The BDSM community aren't impressed - they say it doesn't depict consensual play, simply an abusive and controlling relationship. Can't comment as I've no plans to read the book or see the film.

Tiplodocus

Aah, I can see why that would anger people on both sides now. Thanks.

(Also no intention of reading or watching)

Professor Bear

Quote from: radiator on 15 February, 2015, 11:10:03 PM
QuoteInteresting to see 3 R-rated films occupy top spots at the US box-office: 1,2 & 4.

Huh. I've never really understood the aversion to the R rating - I mean, horror films are almost always profitable, and they're usually R rated.

Is it just a perception that R rating = less profit, and every time an R rated movie fails it keeps reinforcing itself?

In most US states, with any rating up to an R, kids can be admitted if they're accompanied by an adult thanks to individual discretion of the theater.  Friday the 13th, Nightmare on Elm Street and other long-running hack-and-slash horror franchises were mostly watched by children, giving the impression (right or wrong) that this was the primary audience for horror, so a horror with an R rating is assumed to be a bad bet because most of its intended audience will automatically be barred from attending a screening or even renting the movie.

Keef Monkey

Quote from: Dandontdare on 16 February, 2015, 08:48:09 AM

The BDSM community aren't impressed - they say it doesn't depict consensual play, simply an abusive and controlling relationship. Can't comment as I've no plans to read the book or see the film.

I haven't (and never will) read the book, but was curious why people were getting upset so I did look up a few articles with a lot of examples of the problem sections. Aside from the fact that it's written appallingly, there doesn't seem to be any consent involved beyond her relenting to emotional blackmail and psychological bullying. The one sex scene I read (the first one) is basically rape, plain and simple. I know reading chunks of something out of context and judging them isn't good practice, but not sure how much more context you need to a woman saying no and a man forcing himself on her anyway.

Makes its popularity worrying and depressing really.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Dandontdare on 16 February, 2015, 08:48:09 AM

I have engaged in BDSM activities with two partners over the last 3 years (I hope thats not bordering on Mayor level creepiness but bare with me) and three rules are nessecary for BDSM. Safe, Sane, and Consensual. I.e The dominant party doesn't do anything the submissive party doesn't ask for before hand. It's not a case of simply tying the sub up and beating the shit out of them. Thats abuse. And thats what happens in 50'Shades of Shit. Mr. Grey even goes so far as to use the date rape drug on the protag. But I wouldn't have minded if these had been depictednas a bad thing, the fact it's romanticised and turned into a love story is what scares me. And deeply saddens me.

Richmond Clements

Quotethree rules are nessecary for BDSM. Safe, Sane, and Consensual.

I have a friend who is on the BDSM scene and this very much is what comes across stronger then anything.