Main Menu

Rogue Trooper News…!

Started by Jim_Campbell, 29 January, 2024, 02:28:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

judgeurko

Quote from: Funt Solo [R] on 08 February, 2024, 08:44:30 PM
Quote from: judgeurko on 08 February, 2024, 07:48:45 PMSurely we've grown up a bit now.

I'm not saying it's the correct approach, but it's still quite common:

++WARNING++ Cover your eyes before scrolling down - this next one is perhaps a little too much...

Time we stopped it.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: judgeurko on 08 February, 2024, 07:48:45 PMI think a one & done. The Quartz Massacre storyline. & Rogue walking out into the distance at the end. or something akin to a Mad Max movie. But I think the idea of disfigured villains now? Surely we've grown up a bit now.

You make a good point.  Ugly and scarred = evil is incredibly clichéd at this stage of the game - Heath Ledger's Joker was possibly that trope's last great hurrah.

Rogue in the early days was a brilliant concept but it was aimed at kids. The Traitor General looking like a monster was what the kids needed.  Conversely, one of latter-era Dredd's greatest bad guys was Martin Sinfield, essentially a jumped-up civil servant with notions of grandeur.

Nikolai Dante had the Tsar and the two incarnations of Dmitri Romanov, who looked like dictators do tend to look - normal people with puffed-up egos.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Dash Decent

I love the way Cam Kennedy drew the Traitor General.  Having his disfigured helps conceal his identity (which one of the four was he?), which could be used as a plot point.  Also Nu Earth is a hellish place and everything you're exposed to can hurt you.  I think having disfigured characters to contrast with Rogue helps sell how powerful an advantage he has not needing any protection from the toxic, corrosive environment, as well as his superior skills as a soldier.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

The Legendary Shark

Quote from: Dash Decent on 09 February, 2024, 12:46:33 PMI think having disfigured characters to contrast with Rogue helps sell how powerful an advantage he has not needing any protection from the toxic, corrosive environment, as well as his superior skills as a soldier.

I think that's a great observation and could also lend an edge of bitterness to the TG's character. "The freak lives in that crap. I was in it for five seconds and look at me. Six months in a med-pod - and he just walks away. He's only one grunt, he can't change anything, but I will destroy him nonetheless. Because he deserves it."
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Woolly

11 pages and no-one's asked the most important question:

If we post here enough, will we get our names in the film?  ;)

Seriously though, this is all great news.
Good director, good cast, and the Unreal Engine 5 stuff I've seen so far has blown me away with it's quality.
I've got high hopes for this one.

Fortnight

Quote from: Woolly on 12 February, 2024, 03:32:17 PMIf we post here enough, will we get our names in the film?
If anything in a sub plot goes on for a couple of weeks I reckon I'm in with a shot.

Link Prime

Quote from: Fortnight on 12 February, 2024, 03:56:21 PM
Quote from: Woolly on 12 February, 2024, 03:32:17 PMIf we post here enough, will we get our names in the film?
If anything in a sub plot goes on for a couple of weeks I reckon I'm in with a shot.

Quickly - retrieve the Biochip from GI 80085 before it expires.

Good work, soldier.

Okay - insert it into the slot in that Millicom issue automated tungsten chain link.

Excellent. Looks like we have the means to retrieve the command Hopper from that blasted Qik-zand.

Welcome back to the fight, Link.

"Roger that, Sarge"

Woolly

Quote from: Link Prime on 12 February, 2024, 04:37:24 PM
Quote from: Fortnight on 12 February, 2024, 03:56:21 PM

Quickly - retrieve the Biochip from GI 80085 before it expires.

Good work, soldier.

Okay - insert it into the slot in that Millicom issue automated tungsten chain link.

Excellent. Looks like we have the means to retrieve the command Hopper from that blasted Qik-zand.

Welcome back to the fight, Link.

"Roger that, Sarge"

"Infantryman Woolly - Duck!"

"What?"

[Head explodes]

"Those Nort b*stards, they took out his chip!"

Jimmy Baker's Assistant

Quote from: Woolly on 12 February, 2024, 03:32:17 PM11 pages and no-one's asked the most important question:

If we post here enough, will we get our names in the film?  ;)

Which reminds me, I think it's very important to say that Duncan Jones is the most talented and frankly most handsome director in Hollywood today.

Hawkmumbler

Duncan, I would accept a cameo as a Nort infantrymen getting his brains blown out as acceptable recumpense for the 2 hours I wasted watching WARCRAFT.

I feel it's only fair now.

paddykafka

Infantryman "Kafka" does not, alas, have the cool factor that Bagman, Helm and Gunner possess. And I can just imagine the uproar if one of the GI's was consistently being referred to as "Paddy" throughout the movie.

The Legendary Shark

Don't forget the hideously mutated Legendary Shark that lurks in the Great Chem-Sea eating battleships...

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

nxylas

I'm starting to regret using my own name now. But then,I've already had a Gotham City crime boss named after me, and there was a robot called Salyx in Tony Luke's Terra Meks movie, so I mustn't be greedy.
AIEEEEEE! It's the...THING from the HELL PLANET!

I, Cosh

Quote from: Woolly on 12 February, 2024, 03:32:17 PMIf we post here enough, will we get our names in the film?  ;)
Finally, my time has come. What better name for the trooper sent in to take out enemy sentries under cover of darkness.
We never really die.