Main Menu

RIPs

Started by Quirkafleeg, 27 February, 2006, 03:03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roger Godpleton

He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

DavidXBrunt

Quote from: Mike Gloady on 29 August, 2009, 09:51:07 PM
I presumed it was just an unflattering picture of a bunch of goths and did my laughing without clicking.  Easier on the index finger in the long run.  Read away, 6 or so pages of hysterical laughter await. 

RUMBLED.

The Street Team was a nice idea taken to ludicrous lengths done in, to my eyes, a daft way. That said Steve and I exchanged e-mails and he was a nice enough bloke/ I thought there was an element of trying to shame us when he joined up and responded. It didn't go down well.

I've read/heard some of his work since and whilst there were some nice ideas in them I didn't think they were executed very well. His Torchwood audio reading was easily the weakest so far but the narator didn't exactly lift the material off the page so much as gently nudge it off, so that didn't help...

Still, fair play to him.

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: PiggyMitchell on 02 March, 2006, 05:32:57 AM
Art - true. I'll give you that.

Quirkafleeg - it's a three book series at the moment, the first one covering Slaine from his entry into the Red Branch through his exile to meeting Ukko and making the decision to return home.

A lot of it is based on Warrior's Dawn episodes, including strips like Sky Chariots, Bride of Crom etc, though certain changes have been made primarily to improve the narrative flow of the book. To that extent it's being described as a re-imagining.

Comics work in a different way to novels in that regard. I'm doing me very best to be faithful to the humour of Slaine and Ukko while writing a story that folks unfamiliar with 2000AD will actually be able to enjoy.

On the plus side I've been given a higher 'rating' for the book meaning it isn't targeted at the 13-17 year old readership of Black Library but is actually aimed at a more mature audience.

I can't say much because I'm on an NDA obviously, but my genuine hope is that I'll do the book justice. I do have a sense of humour - and am not a goth boy. Heck, my first 13 books which are floating around on Amazon etc were Star Wars Media Tie Ins - to an extent you follow the work, but sometimes an opportunity arises where you actually get to work with something you loved when you were getting into the whole writing/sf gig.  

In terms of style - it opens setting the scene for folk new to Slaine, dealing with setting up Murias and Grudnew and the Red Branch, who Danu is, what the Horned God is all about, and then, from his exile becomes the more traditional Slaine we know and love - bloody & darkly funny.

How about this - keep your current low expectations when you go in, and hopefully you'll come out pleasantly surprised?

It's due on Halloween.

We'll all know about its relative merits/flaws soon enough, methinks.

-- Max - thanks for the icon. Now I feel more at home!

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: PiggyMitchell on 02 March, 2006, 05:32:57 AM
Art - true. I'll give you that.

Quirkafleeg - it's a three book series at the moment, the first one covering Slaine from his entry into the Red Branch through his exile to meeting Ukko and making the decision to return home.

A lot of it is based on Warrior's Dawn episodes, including strips like Sky Chariots, Bride of Crom etc, though certain changes have been made primarily to improve the narrative flow of the book. To that extent it's being described as a re-imagining.

Comics work in a different way to novels in that regard. I'm doing me very best to be faithful to the humour of Slaine and Ukko while writing a story that folks unfamiliar with 2000AD will actually be able to enjoy.

On the plus side I've been given a higher 'rating' for the book meaning it isn't targeted at the 13-17 year old readership of Black Library but is actually aimed at a more mature audience.

I can't say much because I'm on an NDA obviously, but my genuine hope is that I'll do the book justice. I do have a sense of humour - and am not a goth boy. Heck, my first 13 books which are floating around on Amazon etc were Star Wars Media Tie Ins - to an extent you follow the work, but sometimes an opportunity arises where you actually get to work with something you loved when you were getting into the whole writing/sf gig. 

In terms of style - it opens setting the scene for folk new to Slaine, dealing with setting up Murias and Grudnew and the Red Branch, who Danu is, what the Horned God is all about, and then, from his exile becomes the more traditional Slaine we know and love - bloody & darkly funny.

How about this - keep your current low expectations when you go in, and hopefully you'll come out pleasantly surprised?

It's due on Halloween.

We'll all know about its relative merits/flaws soon enough, methinks.

-- Max - thanks for the icon. Now I feel more at home!

Exactly what I thought when I read "Slaine the Exile".

Even though, I was pleased it did run along the same lines as "Warriors Dawn"  through to the end of "Sky-Chariots". The faithfulness to the original storyline, the need to adapt this into paragraphs of more words. how much un-original this re-working might be, the re-imagining --exrtra content, whatever was soley dreamed up by the new author-- didn't improive it. Without altogether ruining it completely..

I, Cosh

Quote from: DavidXBrunt on 29 August, 2009, 04:49:00 PM
It's interesting to note that in the 2kreview review of Stevie's Slaine book there was much tutting about behaviour in this thread...
Quite right too. Gordon Rennie being an obnoxious cunt and a bunch of other boarders fawning over him wasn't a very pleasant sight the first time round even if it was mildly amusing.
We never really die.

Peter Wolf

Quote from: Mike Gloady on 28 August, 2009, 03:28:01 PM
I sympathise with the general mood of disgust regarding politics, I think many of us from ALL sides of the political divide probably do. 

Have a biscuit PW, there's a good chap, you'll feel better.  Honest.

Certain kinds of biscuits i am eating at the moment taste good and i feel better everytime i eat them.

;) ;D

Perhaps sometime later i might tell everyone what kind of biscuits they are.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

M.I.K.

Quote from: peterwolf on 30 August, 2009, 01:27:27 AM
Certain kinds of biscuits i am eating at the moment taste good and i feel better everytime i eat them.

;) ;D

Dog biscuits?

Trout

I only just realised flagging up the whole mad episode was, in effect, a Slaine reference.

Wow. I'm doing them involuntarily now!

- Trout

DavidXBrunt

Quote from: The Cosh on 30 August, 2009, 01:15:23 AM
Quote from: DavidXBrunt on 29 August, 2009, 04:49:00 PM
It's interesting to note that in the 2kreview review of Stevie's Slaine book there was much tutting about behaviour in this thread...
Quite right too. Gordon Rennie being an obnoxious cunt and a bunch of other boarders fawning over him wasn't a very pleasant sight the first time round even if it was mildly amusing.

I don't remember, or even see, any fawning but there you go.

planetoid

Oasis:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/8228053.stm

The funeral is being delayed due to Noel and Liam arguing over which of them has the most expensive looking coffin.  :D

Colin YNWA

Quote from: planetoid on 30 August, 2009, 11:39:28 AM
Oasis:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/8228053.stm

The funeral is being delayed due to Noel and Liam arguing over which of them has the most expensive looking coffin.  :D

As I recall back in the day when they first started the NME had stories like this with one or other of the Gallaghers having a tissey fit ever other week. Heavens it must have been a while ago if I was still reading the NME!

Anyway I'm treating this with a massive pinch of salt and hey they died musically after Morning Glory any hoo!

Mike Gloady

I have numerous chums in the music biz.  I shouldn't, my only connection being working in a guitar shop for most of my adult life (and accidentally selling the FIRST INSTRUMENT to two members of McFly and being fawned upon in a way that just doesn't happen anymore by a teenage Kate Nash - I'm very sorry everyone for my tiny part in assaulting your ears).

My source updated his facebook status to the effect of "I'm watching Noel & Liam Gallagher having a fist fight.  Blood everywhere, broken guitars and gutteral snarls of "YOU FUNTING KNUT"" (Thanks Twoth, I can now swear unoffensively).

Anyway, my sources reported that to me AS IT HAPPENED because HE WAS WATCHING before being leant upon by Oasis' management company (who also manage my mate's band) and all references on his facebook page were removed.  So the truth is rather different to what you may have heard.

I would infer that's an end to them.  Apparently they're attempting to go one without NOel, which is a mistake as he's the talent.  Like Queen without Freddie (only not nearly so good).
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

House of Usher

Quote from: peterwolf on 30 August, 2009, 01:27:27 AM

"My biscuit crunches some. Mentally you picture my biscuit, but I have not told the type of biscuit which I have. Perhaps you even picture Wafer Watkins from Gingerbread Colditz?"
STRIKE !!!

Trout

Get biscuits off this thread! Biscuits can never die.

- Trout

TordelBack

QuoteWow. I'm doing them involuntarily now!

As you have been doing all along, of course.