Main Menu

Prog 1650 - new Dredd Mega Epic!

Started by Goaty, 14 July, 2009, 09:21:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Gloady

I'd be happy with any of the artist mentioned.  Maybe it'll go old school and episodic with an artist per arc.  Yeah, it's a little old-fashioned but that's been done comparatively recently (Hunting Party I think - late 90s?) just think how much fun it'd be.

If there's Kev Walker, PJ and Carl Critchlow I'll be happy to let Henry Flint have some time to himself for Zombo/Shakara.
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

radiator

PJ Holden is confirmed as drawing part of this storyline - he said as such in the podcast interview.

Look forward to seeing that!

Mike Gloady

YES! (in the tone of voice a 12-year-old uses when they score a goal)

Not heard it yet, looking forward to it lots.
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

ukdane

I've always thought that PSI-Div was too much of an easy "get-out" for plot lines. BUT I do love the character of Anderson.

SO, I would like to see a Mega-Epic (not Prog 1650) where there is a PSI-wars, that effectively wipes out all of Psi-Div, leaving only Anderson. I think that would give the empath a little more to think about, and make her character fairly interesting. (I'd also like to see her as a regular in the Megazine, replacing the film reviews)

I'd like a maniacal tyrant to take control of Psi-Div, leaving the rest of the Justice Dept no option, but to destroy Psi-Div.

Re: Prog 1650, and CJ Francisco, I wouldnt be surprised if he does "turn bad" that Mayor Ambrose is behind it.
I'd be surprised if Dredd instated Mutants as Judges, (in one of the theories above in NW Hab) with Heshey as CJ. IIRC when Dredd and Hershey first worked together, Dredd had a problem with a Judge having a moustache, so seeing a mutant in uniform would be more than even his pro-mutie feelings could go.

I don't find it surprising that they've been able to keep the details of the story off the web. But I do find it odd that they aren't plugging it to sell more copies. Was anything made of it at SDCC?
Cheers

-Daney

Mardroid

Quote from: ukdane on 09 August, 2009, 07:16:39 PM
I'd be surprised if Dredd instated Mutants as Judges, (in one of the theories above in NW Hab) with Heshey as CJ. IIRC when Dredd and Hershey first worked together, Dredd had a problem with a Judge having a moustache, so seeing a mutant in uniform would be more than even his pro-mutie feelings could go.

I'm not so sure. He might not like the idea of mutants as judges (at least this generation) but I doubt it would be for aesthetic reasons. A guy can shave off a mustache, while a mutant can't really help how he/she looks. (Ok they could have surgury, restructuring etc, but that would be a whole other can of prejudiced worms...)

planetoid

QuoteI'd be surprised if Dredd instated Mutants as Judges,

Not sure that would be a credible scenario. Many cits dislike Judges, so they would hate mutant Judges just as much. There's also the time factor in training them. Rookies train for 15 years to become full Judges. You couldn't expect mutants to become Judges in a shorter time.  Personally, I hope mutants aren't given norm status. I'd prefer Mutant City 1 in the Cursed Earth. Their own city, ruled by the mutants. I can't see mutants and norms living in peace inside MC-1. MC-1 is too crazy and violent to tolerate mutants and norms.  ;) Long term it seems doubtful Dredd's mutant reforms will remain - even in a post-Dan Francisco MC-1 - but who knows...

O Lucky Stevie!

Does everyone realise that all the tidbits offered so far are merely disinformation on Tharg's part?

The titular Tour of Duty actually refers to a disenchanted Hershey's new vocation after handing in her badge: entertaining the SJS Judges fighting the insurgent colonies as an exotic dancer.

Old Stoney face tags along as her warm-up act, dispensing his rapid fire repertoire of clone mother-in-law jokes.

In a move that send ripples throughout the comics industry, readers win a fiver when Dredd uses their jokes on the page.

Returning Dredd scribe Mark Millar reveals in a Rich Johnson exclusive that he is, "Finally man enough to credit his sources, just so long as somebody else is coughing up the fivers."

With the story now running as a fumetti sponsored by Raymond Revue Bar, Tharg runs a competition offering one lucky squaxx a guest spot in the (ahem) strip receiving a lapdance from the former Chief Judge of Mega City One.

The prog featuring the competition winner quickly becomes the most sought after back issue ever. This is due to the squaxx's attempts to remove it from circulation following The Sun's report that the actor playing Hershey is an old photostrip veteran from the 1980s, previously starring in Eagle as Joe Soap.
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

TordelBack

Thanks stevie, now I really can't wait!

mygrimmbrother

Quote from: radiator on 06 August, 2009, 04:20:42 PM
PJ Holden is confirmed as drawing part of this storyline - he said as such in the podcast interview.

Look forward to seeing that!

Hell yeah!  ;D

DavidXBrunt

Quote from: steven lenfant terrible on 13 August, 2009, 04:37:29 AM

The prog featuring the competition winner quickly becomes the most sought after back issue ever. This is due to the squaxx's attempts to remove it from circulation following The Sun's report that the actor playing Hershey is an old photostrip veteran from the 1980s, previously starring in Eagle as Joe Soap.

So? A lapdance is still a lapdance.

TordelBack

planetoid

I'll stick this thought in here just to spark up the debate ;)....

I wonder if Tour of Duty (the unconfirmed title) could lead to the death of Dredd? I don't mean the story will end with Dredd's death, but it's possible the story will throw up some plot strands which could lead to his death in a future story.

The new epic is going to result in a fair amount of death and destruction and you could argue Dredd is partially responsible. Dredd forced Hershey's hand, he said back my reforms or I resign, the council of five caved in to his demand, the mutant laws led to mutants entering the city, this caused more crime and misery for everyone, this led to the Judges removing Hershey and electing Francisco, an ultra right wing Judge. Dredd started the mutant ball rolling, Francisco is going to be the one to stop the roll.

If Dredd has mutant blood on his hands and he's indirectly responsible for Francisco coming to power, perhaps his judgement is seriously and irreparably flawed? I wonder if Tour of Duty will show a contrite Dredd, a broken Dredd?

The argument goes Rebellion would never kill off Dredd, the character is too important to the comic, but a crestfallen Dredd, a Dredd with flawed judgement, could lead Wagner to the obvious conclusion - Dredd's time is up. He's no longer up to the job, his judgement is too impaired.

It would be a brave move to kill him off and Rebellion could always do 'Young Dredd' or even Dredd clone 2: 'Dredd lives on'. It's highly unlikley Rebellion will consider Dredd's death but I'm not sure Dredd can resolve the current mutant crisis without accepting some degree of blame. Guilt may fester and ultimately destroy him. We may be seeing the first step on the long road to the story that is: the death of Judge Dredd.

Colin YNWA

Well the title seems to have been confirmed at the end of this weeks Prog and the main artist (???? well from my reading certainly the startig artist???) is Colin MacNeil, a choice we can all be happy with I'm sure.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: planetoid on 15 August, 2009, 11:58:31 AM

It would be a brave move to kill him off and Rebellion could always do 'Young Dredd' or even Dredd clone 2: 'Dredd lives on'. It's highly unlikley Rebellion will consider Dredd's death but I'm not sure Dredd can resolve the current mutant crisis without accepting some degree of blame. Guilt may fester and ultimately destroy him. We may be seeing the first step on the long road to the story that is: the death of Judge Dredd.

This young Dredd stuff doesn't wash nor does the clone idea. I think we'll see the death of Mega City One before we see the death of Dredd.

planetoid

QuoteThis young Dredd stuff doesn't wash nor does the clone idea. I think we'll see the death of Mega City One before we see the death of Dredd.

Well, Origins touched on young Dredd so there's material there to expand upon. For example: Dredd's first year as a full Judge - JUDGE DREDD YEAR ONE.

That could work.  :) I'm sure fans would like to read that.

How old is Dredd? Mid 70s? He does look young for his age, the Fargo gene pool always had good skin  :D but can Dredd still bust heads when he's 80? I dunno, I think a lot of juves wouldn't think twice about taking on an 80 year old Dredd. Perhaps Dredd could have some horrific injury and undergo some extensive body transplant. That could be a way to cheat death and give Wagner and Rebellion a nice excuse to continue Dredd.  :) Based on one year of real time equalling one year of MC-1 time, realistically speaking, you feel Dredd has to die or retire within the next 10 - 20 years.