Main Menu

Using a mobile phone in a basement

Started by Minkyboy, 14 August, 2009, 03:29:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minkyboy

So we are moving a food bank into the basement of a church building BUT the contact number is a business mobile cos the food bank is open in different venues on different days of the week. Clearly an unreliable mobile signal in this basement.

Easy answer is to get a new fixed phone line installed and forward the mobile to that line on that day of the week.

But Techie people, they have internet access in that basement. SO is it possible to do something clever with a mobile phone, laptop, skype or equivalent. Or some kind of signal booster using a spell and speak and an umbrella.

Any helpful ideas/workarounds?

Minky

Fiddling while Rome burns

"is being made a brain in a jar a lot more comen than I think it is." - Cyberleader2000

Minkyboy

20 views and no help. Arse.

Come on Banners, you usually come up trumps with the tech wizardry.

"is being made a brain in a jar a lot more comen than I think it is." - Cyberleader2000

Trout

Sorry, Mink. I've no idea.

Anyone?

BUMP

Bouwel

I'm stumped.

Maybe ask BT commercial for help?

-Bouwel-
-A person's mind can be changed by reading information on the internet. The nature of this change will be from having no opinion to having a wrong opinion-

vzzbux

Even my comm's experience comes up a blank. Your only way is call divert through a land line.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

DavidXBrunt

You may be able to jury rig a signal booster that would, effectively, supercharge your phone.

The signal receptor of mobile phones, handily, are made from metals coated with a synthetic subtance have a very particular chemical signature, similar to the proteins and fat from milk, once the coagulation of the milk protein casein has taken place.

As a result regularly coating your phone with quantities of the above should work wonders.

Bouwel

-A person's mind can be changed by reading information on the internet. The nature of this change will be from having no opinion to having a wrong opinion-

TordelBack

Congealed mammary fluid, is there nothing it can't do?

House of Usher

I must admit I was a bit worried upon seeing the words "using a mobile phone in a basement" in a message category titled "Help!"

Until I read the message I thought you might be trapped under something or else a door had slammed itself shut behind you, under which circumstances having an Internet connection would be a boon, but an email to the fire service might not produce a response as quickly as a 999 call. Sorry I'm as technophobic as they come, and thus am unable to offer any helpful suggestions.
STRIKE !!!

Minkyboy

Quote from: House of Usher on 14 August, 2009, 11:02:39 PM
Until I read the message I thought you might be trapped under something or else a door had slammed itself shut behind you, under which circumstances having an Internet connection would be a boon...

Well obviously in any similar emergency my first thought would be to contact a bunch of lunatic comic collectors and artists who I chat to on the internet!

"Hey, seriously guys I need rescuing"

"Try using Cheese", "Your Mum", "You are a cnut", "Bumcakes!" etc.

Roger Godpleton

Quote"Try using Cheese", "Your Mum", "You are a cnut", "Bumcakes!" etc.

Oh thanks, that's just great. You know, I work damn hard at providing services for you, and then some one-star wonder throws it back in my face. I won't fucking bother in the future.

PS I'm not actually upset.

He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

DavidXBrunt

Did his mother throw it back in your face too?

SamuelAWilkinson

Don't know if it'd help at all (my guess is not), but I once saw some techy programme on the telly about some guys testing retail mobile signal boosters, and the one that apparently worked best was like a coil of wire they stuck inside the back of the battery cover, or summat.

Sorry to be so specific.
Nobody warned me I would be so awesome.

Bouwel

You could always try this:

http://www.5min.com/Video/How-to-Make-a-Coffee-Can-Cellphone-Booster-2388107

Don't thank me, thank the moons gravity...

Or, if you prefer a less McGyver solution:

http://www.mobsol.eu/epages/es120785.sf

-Bouwel-

Bouwel

...or, if all else fails have your mobile call forwarded to a land-line at the property that uses a handsfree set. The modern ones have good range even through brick walls.

Hope this helps...

-Bouwel-