Famous face's mystery comic

Started by Trout, 16 August, 2009, 12:53:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trout

House of Usher

I'll bet he's reading Slaine nowadays.
STRIKE !!!

Trout

Oh yes, of course. I wonder if there are any Celtic mythology references in the work of the Beatles?

TordelBack

QuoteI'll bet he's reading Slaine nowadays.

-sob-

locustsofdeath!

You and thryllseeker must be awfully fsmiliar by now, TordelBack.

Bouwel

It looks like one of those 'broadsheet' comics I used to get as a child (Topper?).

-Bouwel-
(Don't mention the Slaine!)
-A person's mind can be changed by reading information on the internet. The nature of this change will be from having no opinion to having a wrong opinion-

vzzbux

I bet he got a right fucking pasting by the head when the photo was developed.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Peter Wolf

Quote from: King Trout on 16 August, 2009, 03:19:20 PM
Oh yes, of course. I wonder if there are any Celtic mythology references in the work of the Beatles?

There might be but i dont have the time to research it as i wont get paid for it .

Perhaps someone else might be interested ?

Paul McCartney might have been referencing Celtic mythology in Mull Of kyntyre because there are certain lines in the song like "Oh -mist rolling in from the sea" that are very evocative of the land that Slaine inhabited all those thousands of yrs ago.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

M.I.K.

Quote from: Bouwel on 16 August, 2009, 04:45:29 PM
It looks like one of those 'broadsheet' comics I used to get as a child (Topper?).

First issue of The Topper didn't appear until 1953, so if the dating of the photo is correct, it can't be that.

Not The Beezer either. That didn't appear 'til 1956.

Colin YNWA

I know Macca was into his American comics he got Jack Kirby (actually better be careful here as my memory of this story might be a bit wonky) to draw them Magneto and Titanium Man the images were used at some show or other (think it was a Wings show???)... damn I wish I could remember the details a little better BUT defo he got into Marvel Comics and I believe was a fan of American comics before that.

Colin YNWA

And after a little interneting the story is a little clearer.

http://www.comicsalliance.com/2009/05/04/jack-kirby-meets-paul-mccartney/

Fantastic image to boot and I'd forgotten Wings actually had a song called Magneto and Titanium Man!

Trout

Doesn't make them cool, though. ;-)

- Trout

Colin YNWA

Quote from: King Trout on 17 August, 2009, 09:46:24 AM
Doesn't make them cool, though. ;-)

- Trout

Oh come on 'Band on the Run', 'Jet' (I can't got bpast a Jet garage these days without bursting into that one, much to my wife's delight!), 'Live and Let Die'! It wasn't all Mull of Kintyre

Trout

Er, nope. Linda makes it shit. Sorry.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: King Trout on 17 August, 2009, 10:01:38 AM
Er, nope. Linda makes it shit. Sorry.

Poor old Linda, she made such nice veggie sausage rolls as well.