Main Menu

overwhelmed and underwhelmed, and bewildered

Started by brendan1, 18 August, 2009, 06:49:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

If you're looking for something a little different self contained stories by a host of name artists with a consistent writing team then you can't go far wrong with Jonah Hex. Brillant Western.

For regular superhero action that by and large side steps all the continuity and offers something different Gail Simone and Nicola Scott's Secret Six is about the best out there at the minute I'd suggest?

brendan1

Thanks all, some of the suggested titles are already on my consideration list, although I think Walking Dead may be top of said list

Roger Godpleton

He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

lborl

+ Every Junji Ito manga you can get

+ SKYSCRAPERS OF THE MIDWEST by Joshua Cotter

+ DOMU by Katsuhiro Otomo

+ ODE TO KIRIHITO and MW by Osamu Tezuka

Mike Gloady

Well, I'd have to second (third?  Fourth?) Transmetropolitan.  Excellent writing, excellent art, fantastic characters and an engaging plot in a nicely realised setting.  Ticks all boxes while having a definite "Twoth" feel to it (the Bowel Disruptor is the best fictional weapon EVER).

Akira is a fine series too (six volumes which, although a little pricey, are very rewarding - i recommend grabbing a few at once) although sci-fi manga might not be to everyone's taste, it's an excellent and justly famous example of the genre.

Hellblazer is also a cracker (although now they're publishing what seems like the entire series as trades there's more choice) with the best-written mainstrtem comics character ever.  I really want to kill Keanu Reeves for weeing all over Constantine with that dreadful movie.  I don't normally go for "supernatural horror" storys but Hellblazer is good enough to warrant a look despite the genre. 

For beautiful art and excellent writing in the samurai manga genre (don't panic, it doesn't LOOK like traditional manga at all which, to me, is a massive plus) is Lone Wolf & Cub.  Get the first two or three together.  Sit down and do them in one go.  The whole quest for revenge takes lots of amazing twists and turns and you find yourself clapping, cheering and nearly crying in public if you're not careful.  Beautiful stuff and I've no idea why it gets so little mention when English-speakers discuss the greatest series of all time. 

If you're after superheroes I can't help beyond a recommendation to check out Batman: The Long Halloween.
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

PsychoGoatee

Savage Dragon, Invincible, and Dark Horse's Conan comics are great stuff.

Savage Dragon is going strong with 150+ issues, all written/illustrated by the creator Erik Larsen. Invincible is by the author of Walking Dead, and Conan is Conan.

I see the Akira recommendation there, so I'll throw in some manga too:

Monster, Rurouni Kenshin, Death Note, Blade of the Immortal, and Bastard!! are all great ones.

locustsofdeath!

The Megazine said you should be reading "The Savage Sword of Conan".

Paul faplad Finch

If you liked Sandman (and even if you didn't) it's most succesful spin off series, Lucifer, is a great read. By Mike Carey (a guy whose 2000ad career was tragically short) and has 10 (or 11? I can't remember off the top of my head) trades out. I have them all, about halfway through reading them and they haven't hit a duff note yet.

And if you're a Buffy fan get Season Eight. Only if you're a fan though cos it don't half draw on the shows history as well as stuff from Whedons Fray comics.

Other than that I'm just a "go for the big names" type so most of what I've read was in the first post.
It doesn't mean that round my way
Pessimism is Realism - Optimism is Insanity
The Impossible Quest
Musings Of A Nobody
Stuff I've Read

Roger Godpleton

If you're not just looking for men with guns, I would strongly recommend you "begin" with Love & Rockets. I would say this is my favourite comic of all time and it broadened my perceptions of comics quite considerably.

Other essential reading would be any of the Krazy/Ignatz collections.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Trout

Y the Last Man is fantastic, as is The Boys. I second Planetary. The last issue is due out soon, so expect some nice collections in time for Christmas.

- Trout

TordelBack

Two things I've really enjoyed lately:

Scalped, by Jason Aaron.  One of the best crime comics I've ever laid eyes on, the Sopranos set on a Native American reservation, but so much more than that.  Ongoing from Vertigo.

Tricked, by Alex Robinson.  Essentially a Robert Altman film in comic form, shaped loosely around the decline of a debauched pop star, terrific characters and a satisfying resolution.  One big fat GN.

Mike Gloady

With this thread and the webcomics one, I'm unlikely to run out of stuff to read for quite some time.  Thanks Hivemind!
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever