Main Menu

Things to do in London when you're awake

Started by I, Cosh, 02 September, 2009, 09:23:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I, Cosh

I'm off to London for a few days next week. In amongst the heady whirl of West End shows, top restaurants and hanging around in bars I'll have some time on my hands so I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for things worth seeing or doing?

I'm planning to get to the science museum, the IWM and possibly the Tate, but what else is there of interest? Exhibitions, museums, burlesque acts, whatever you like. Not too fussed about things like Buckingham Palace and I like my museums dry, dusty and old-fashioned rather than interactive and kiddy friendly.

Suggestions can be as unsavoury as you like and the regularly asked question of decent comic/bookshops may also be addressed if you feel like it.

Cheers, Pete.
We never really die.

Bouwel

The Victoria and Albert Museum is a must.

-Bouwel-
-A person's mind can be changed by reading information on the internet. The nature of this change will be from having no opinion to having a wrong opinion-

DavidXBrunt

Go stand by the statue of Anteros/Eros and stop a random stranger. Say to them "Tut! It's like Piccadilly Curcus out here".

Kev Levell

If it's still on whilst you're there, the Waterhouse exhibition at the RA is supposed to be worth a look... haven't been yet but I am planning on going that final weekend!

TordelBack

Damnit, I was going to recommend the V&A.  Top place, and just a short shuffle from the Natural History and Science Museums. 

Last time we were in London we did a ferry trip to the meridian and observatory at Greenwich - great fun, and some decent pubs too. Didn't even get to the naval stuff. 

ThryllSeekyr

TordelBack

QuoteWhats that I wonder?

Big art gallery (well, several, but two in London - Tate Britain and Tate Modern, both well worth the visit).

Richmond Clements

The Tate Modern is superb.

We went along with me fully expecting to be in a red rage the whole time. But then there's a room with a Monet waterlilies and Jackson Pollock's Summertime opposite each other and I was almost in tears.

TordelBack

I'm actually hanging round this thread waiting to see what Spooky Steev recommends in the (very subtly included there, Cosh) burlesque department, but while I'm here I have a tip:  there are some great free "guided" walking tours available on mp3 - personal blogged ones, not commercial tourist pap, and I thoroughly enjoyed strolling about half-listening to some amiable slightly-out-of-breath duffer wittering on about pump-handles, beadles and barrage balloons.  There's even a Ripper's Whitechapel one which is supposed to be very good, but I've never felt quite right doing a 'murder' tour.

My father, a professional tour guide, would not appreciate me offering this advice, so it may be a form of post-adolescent rebellion rather than an actual helpful tip, who knows.

Peter Wolf

The John soane museum is unmissable :

http://74.125.77.132/search?q=cache:tCWiBhK5mfwJ:www.soane.org/+john+soane+museum&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk&client=firefox-a

Also go and visit Spitalfields.the nearest stop is Liverpool St.Cross the road [Bishopsgate St] and cut through one of the sidestreets and you will see ChristChurch Spitalfields and around it are streets and streets of 18th century townhouses.There are also stacks of Curry houses if you fancy a ruby.

This area is the setting for From Hell as you might already know.

Also The British Museum [Russell Sq tube] is excellent if you like traditional museums.I recommend the V+A museum as well.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

SamuelAWilkinson

The British Museum is without a doubt one of the finest places in the world, especially if you like your dry dusty affairs.
Nobody warned me I would be so awesome.

TordelBack

QuoteThe British Museum is without a doubt one of the finest places in the world, especially if you like your dry dusty affairs.

...and spectacular modern architecture in the central courtyard roof.  And one of the world's greatest comics shops in Gosh! just across the road, and a great gaming shop just around the corner.

Mikey

Quoteand spectacular modern architecture in the central courtyard roof.

I was in the British Museum for the first time last January - and the feeling of joy and wonder at the impact of the old & new on entering that courtyard is something I'll always remember. (I was there for the terracotta warriors, which induced the same feeling!)

Also - the Natural History Museum, the Tate Modern/Britain, St Pauls (Tate Modern & St Pauls are quite close to one another too)

For the museums/galleries, you definately need to target what you want to see, as several days could safely go by and you wouldn't see half of what's on display.

M
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

House of Usher

Tate Britain is more of a must than Tate Modern, which can be saved for another visit. Even better is the National Gallery. The National Portrait Gallery is a surprisingly good and educational visit if you're more interested in the likenesses of historical personages than the actual art, but I'd save that one for a 'mopping up' expedition. I waited until I was 38 to see the National Portrait Gallery, and it never did me any harm - it was still there.

The beauty of it is that Tate Britain, Tate Modern, the National Gallery and the National Portrait Gallery are all free admission.

The fastest I've ever got round the National Gallery is 20 minutes, but a good 3 hours usually does the trick.
STRIKE !!!

TordelBack

The National Gallery is stunning.  I had planned a quick jog around on my last visit (November 2006), and ended up being poleaxed and rooted to the spot in room after room.  

The British Museum, however, is my bĂȘte noir.  I cannot spend less than a full day there on any given visit.  My beloved missus understands this after possibly bitter experience, and despite having a liking for museums herself any joint trip to London of necessity features a 'personal day', where we part at breakfast, I go straight to the BM and stay there (apart from a midday excursion to Gosh!), and then mcuh later we meet up in the little coffee shop upstairs in Foyle's on Charing Cross Road.  Then we pretend to listen to each other's geeky enthused ramblings over an apple slice, and once concluded resume our peaceful joint existence.