Main Menu

NEW 2000AD/Dredd audios

Started by Leigh S, 09 February, 2002, 05:14:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leigh S

Big Finish (responsible for the series of Doctor Who Audio plays) are bringing out a range of Dredd/2000AD audio plays - a free sampler disc will be given away with the April Megazine.  

Any news on who is in these and what stories we are going to see - adaptations of old stuff or new material?  Prefer the former - those Radio one Apocalypse War and Cal were great.

GordonR

"I fear the new and strange!  Give me retreads of what has already been!"

They're all-new Dredd stories.  Audio stories of several other 2000AD characters are also in the works.

Tu-plang

oh, that's cool, I've heard that some of the Big Finish Doctor Who stories are good.  To tie in with the movie, possibly?

GordonR

Don't think so.  They first one's out in April, and they haven't even started making the movie yet.

I think the two things are completely unrelated.  

Leigh S

I don't fear the new, only the crap!  Given that Dredd has confounded the best of British over the years, I'd certainly prefer a version of a certified classic like "Requiem for a Heavyweight" or "The Hunters Club" than the kind of generic rubbish that made up 99% of the Dredd novels (for example).

Leigh S

That said I'm not certainly writing them off just cos they're new - I bought every novel and gave each of them a chance.  Who knows, maybe a new writer might emerge from these who can capture the essence of Dredd and maybe he could do some fill-ins on the comic instead of Grant and Ennis.... Is the next Alan Moore working on audios?

GordonR

Well, it's certainly good to see that you're giving the idea a chance...

I assume Big Finish are applying the same principles to the 2000AD stuff as they did to their Dr Who audios, all of which are new stories rather than endless retreads of 'certified classics' like Genesis of the Daleks.

Regarding your comments about the Dredd novels, you may or may not then be delighted to hear that David Bishop - author of three of them, I think - has written at least the first of the Dredd audios.

Current 2000AD scriptdroids and a couple of other familiar names have also apparently been approached about writing these audio plays.

Mangamax

Guess with audio the skys the limit - you can do any character in any storyline.
Probably would be best to not cover ones with a huge load of characters as it'd get a bit confusing and the visual stuff's out the window but the Dark Judges could be dead atmospheric.
The perspective on that chairs all wrong

DavidXBrunt

Is this for real? I love B.F.'s audio work, and always check out their site, but haven't heard anything about J.D.? Anyone got links to the news-sites?