Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

broodblik

I can highly recommend: The Brave and the Bold: Batman and Wonder Woman. The art from Liam Sharp is quite exceptional.  He wrote the story as well. Basically it is Batman/Wonder Woman going to Tri Na Nog to solve a murder.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Tiplodocus

Beevor has a new ARNHEM book out which I've just picked up.  I'm a big fan and know a bit about Arnhem already and I remember reading about how Goldman struggled trying to adapt Ryan's book until he hit up on the "Cavalry to the rescue that failed" narrative.  So it'll be interesting to see what narrative spin Beevor puts on it.

* His description of the encirclement of the German army at Stalingrad was breathless stuff - paced like a novel itself. I think I mention it further up thread.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

The Enigmatic Dr X

MEDDLING KIDS

Derivative but such tremendous fun.

It reads like a cross between Umbrella Academy and Scooby Doo, with a dash of the Famous Five and a lot of Lovecraft.

Could be a novelization of a 2000ad strip - Survival Geeks is the closest, I think, but with a rotten town and the hint of slumbering oblivion at the bottom of the lake.

Recommended.
Lock up your spoons!

The Adventurer

All the comics I read in March and April 2019

MARCH

APRIL

(Add +1 to April, I did read Heroes in Crisis 08, but forgot to note it)

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Hawkmumbler

Delighted that Dr.Stone has hit Chapter 100. It really has felt like a staple of the Jump for awhile now and I hope it continues to be as brilliant as it has been.

sheridan

Is Electric Warriors any relation to Jim Baikie's Electric Warrior?

Theblazeuk

I read a book called Abbot from Boom Comics - pretty good stuff, if wrapped up a little too fast. Black female reporter in 1970s Detroit has a connection to dark forces she never even suspected, dark forces that have begun to rise again....

Nice artwork and a great main character who feels like part of a decently fleshed out and believable community.

The Adventurer

Quote from: sheridan on 08 May, 2019, 12:54:09 PM
Is Electric Warriors any relation to Jim Baikie's Electric Warrior?

Unfortunately, no. Other then the name they are unrelated. Electric Warriors is about the time period between The Great Disaster and The Legion of Super-Heroes. When earth is still devided between humans and sapient animals. The Earth is offered membership into the United Planets, and as part of it must offer champions to fight on the earth behaf in one-on-one blood sport to determine the outcome of political conflicts between worlds. Earth is the first world to send two representatives.

It's good, not great. Has a 2000AD vibe throughout its 6 issues.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Greg M.

Invasion 1984! - Wagner / Grant / Bradbury.

Were John Wagner and Alan Grant writing virtually every strip in every British comic in the 80s? Yes, apparently. Here's another one. This alien invasion yarn ran in Battle just before I started reading the comic (possibly by a matter of weeks), so it was a new one on me. It has that trademark Wagner / Grant vicious streak in spades – Doomlord inevitably comes to mind – and a slightly perfunctory ending that suggests editorial said "Right, wrap it up there." Nonetheless, it's gloriously apocalyptic stuff - Glasgow even gets nuked early in the story. Bradbury's art is very atmospheric – he's great at the horrible skeletal (and slightly unfortunately named) alien 'spooks', he's great at depicting horrific viruses, and he's great at bringing a sense of realism to the mass destruction. However, I'm less convinced by his alien technology, particularly the spiky hover-tanks. A cracking read though, better than expected.

broodblik

Agree with Greg, Invasion 1984 was a great read
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Hawkmumbler

But do the aliens save the world so they can be taken to Butlins by their kindly Landlords?!

DOOMLORD IS SUPERIOR!

broodblik

I just wish one day we can get a totally complete collected Doomlord

Apestrife

The new edition of Absolute Authority vol 1. One word, kickass. Also like how it -even if I'd prefered it if it topped off the book- the inclusion of the Requim short. Made me like Jenny Sparks even more than before :)

It's probably my favorite book by Ellis now :)

Professor Bear

The Sky Is Falling and Badge Of Infamy by Lester Del Ray, a writer I have never encountered nor heard of before, somehow.  I didn't really warm to The Sky Is Falling as I tend not to dig isekai* or fantasy in general, but it kept things nice and light and ripped along, and I think I even spotted where the spoof reboot of Dragnet from the 1980s got its one good joke from.  I think if I had any love for the genre I might have got along with it much better, though as it is, it's slight but inoffensive stuff.
Badge Of Infamy is much better, positing a dystopian corporate-owned future before such things were popular in fiction - I got the impression that the "lobbies" were based more on aggressive versions of unions than they were corporate cabals - and the main portion of the book feels like it could easily have been an influence on The Angry Planet strip from Tornado.  Writers typically being addicts, the characters chewing on fags in almost every paragraph didn't really jump out at me as significant but [spoiler]when it became relevant to the plot I actually laughed.[/spoiler]  Not as dated as I expected, and more enjoyable.

* Apart from A Vision Of Escaflowne, which all sci-fi lovers should give a shot whether they like animu or not.

Apestrife

The green lantern #8 by Grant Morrison and Liam Sharp. Lovely tribute to Green arrow & Green Lantern by O'Neil and Adams, with the two (in green) finding themselves up against an alien drug ring. Fun and well written with fantastic art. My absolute favorite on going comic right now.