Main Menu

3A Toys/Rebellion Press Release

Started by Robo-K33F, 16 November, 2009, 01:20:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dandontdare

Quote from: Lee Bates on 07 October, 2010, 01:38:34 PM
Quote from: Mikey on 26 September, 2010, 02:46:55 PM
Yeah,they're definately for those with disposable income,or those with a rabid collector gene!

That's a nice way of saying it. Another way would be 'people with more money than sense'.

Mum? Is that you?

Mardroid

Quote from: Buddy (previusly Uncle Umpty) on 12 October, 2010, 11:51:43 AM
I'll get a Dredd, Alpha and maybe a Nemesis or Death at $80 (around £50), but please... no limited edition run... let all who want one get one.

From what I understand of this (which isn't a lot, ming and co please feel free to correct me on this) these are by their very nature limited editions. I.e. essentially expensive detailed models made for fans by fans. To make them widely available probably wouldn't be commercially viable from their point of view.

Which isn't to say it wouldn't be a good thing if more were available than the previous Tharg. That sold out quickly, and there were plenty more on this site who wanted them.

Mikey

Yup - Mardroid's right, they're all essentially limited as they dont keep producing the figures after the release. There are runs of smaller numbers on some things, but they're usually pointed out and are 3AA exclusive or already made etc. I think they've started to do bigger runs, generally speaking

The only way to be sure of scoring one of the releases is to be there at the release time etc. Personally, I think that most of the 2000ad stuff may not shift as quick as some of the other lines (at least initially), but it won't be there for more than a few hours, so strike early! There are many 3A fans who buy everything released (plus the dreaded flippers) or can spot a cracker toy at 100 paces, so you need to suffer the stress of strict release schedules. No doubt not everyone can be successful - I'll throw a wobbler if I don't get Mongrol! - but for me,the chase adds to the fun.

I've only bought one other figure from them from a direct 'drop' as they say (other stuff second hand) - the release time was 2:00am UK time, but I was able to pick it up no problem around 9:30am and it sayed a around a few hours after that too. There was an exclusive 3AA version as well; for these if you hang around long enough and they haven't all sold, they appear for all who want 'em.
(it's this bad chap, $120...)

M
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

ming

New blurry shot just appeared.  He's rather large (12" fig on the left)!  Note The Mess on the right...

Mikey

Buddy

Quote from: Mardroid on 12 October, 2010, 01:05:14 PM
Quote from: Buddy (previusly Uncle Umpty) on 12 October, 2010, 11:51:43 AM
I'll get a Dredd, Alpha and maybe a Nemesis or Death at $80 (around £50), but please... no limited edition run... let all who want one get one.

From what I understand of this (which isn't a lot, ming and co please feel free to correct me on this) these are by their very nature limited editions. I.e. essentially expensive detailed models made for fans by fans. To make them widely available probably wouldn't be commercially viable from their point of view.

Which isn't to say it wouldn't be a good thing if more were available than the previous Tharg. That sold out quickly, and there were plenty more on this site who wanted them.

I understand there will be a limited amount manufactured, what I mean is make enough to meet the demand. If the initial run sells out, make more... if a book goes out of print and there is still a demand for it, a second printing is done... and a third... and a fourth... etc... if demand exists.

They must have a rough idea what the demand for Tharg was... You'd think a Dredd figure would have x10 the demand at least.

ming

I've probably gone over all this before, but runs of 3A toys are always limited one way or another.  Numbers produced used to be announced but this is no longer the case; partly to stop flippers and buy-to-sell speculation based on perceived rarity.  One a toy is made and sold out (or sold to a pre-determined number and then made), that's it - no revisiting of previous toys.  3A is a small, young company and they're always looking ahead to the next release or ten - no time or capacity for second editions or looking back too much.

One thing I will say is that they try to adapt and please fans where they can (without changing any of the above too much); sales have changed and I know at least one figure was made to order based on how many were ordered in a set time period.  That at least calms the feeding frenzy of people desperate to buy before stuff sells out (which can happen in minutes, hours or days).

Hopefully Mongrol (and most if not all future 2000AD figs) will get a long, leisurely release to allow all who want one to get one direct.  Paying retail (inflated or otherwise) plus shipping later on is daft and very expensive so avoid it if you can.

When more news comes (particularly a date) I'll start a thread with Everything You Need To Know.

judge macbrayne

Colin YNWA

Ming your infinite patience continues to amaze me.

Dash Decent

Quote from: ming on 16 October, 2010, 11:31:36 AM
Once a toy is made and sold out (or sold to a pre-determined number and then made), that's it - no revisiting of previous toys.

Does that mean the cheaper-run updated logo Tharg won't happen?
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

ming

Quote from: Dash Decent on 19 October, 2010, 03:03:11 AM
Quote from: ming on 16 October, 2010, 11:31:36 AM
Once a toy is made and sold out (or sold to a pre-determined number and then made), that's it - no revisiting of previous toys.

Does that mean the cheaper-run updated logo Tharg won't happen?

No, we're still expecting to see Tharg with a modern logo...  I thought we'd see him before Mongrol (we still may) but the release order for whatever they're working on is far from fixed I'm sure.

What I meant by the bit you quoted was that once a version of a figure has been released, it won't be released again later on.  However, in some cases a basic figure may see outings in different styles or paint jobs from time to time (the (in)famous Nom, Noir, Gebi, Blanc and Jung de Plumes from World War Robot and Tommy Mission (slated for a second release I think) spring to mind).

On the whole though, most stuff sees releases in waves, with a figure available in several designs (sometimes just one) and then it's never released again.

I'm expecting that 2000AD stuff should see just a basic, standard paintjob (or colourway, as they say) for each figure; maybe the occasional sneaky extra but who knows?  Normal robot figures may see many paint designs (winter, desert, martian and earth factions, etc.) but this doesn't really fit with the 2000AD universe - 'winter camo Mongrol' doesn't make sense.

When it comes to Dredd, Ash has hinted at different figures relating to different stories to some extent - at least we can hope for a grimy street Judge version and a rather more beaten-up Apocalypse War Dredd.

The take-home point is that it's best to try and pick up a figure at the initial release as it may be hard to find later on and will probably not get repeated releases.

If Ash clarifies how the 2000AD line will work at any point, guess what - I'll post the info here!

:)

Dash Decent

Thanks for clarifying Ming.  I most want a Rogue figure but am also very keen to get Tharg, Dredd and Alpha at least.

The original run Tharg was very good, but looking over the other figures 3A produces I can't see what their appeal is.  There is some great detail on some of them but others just look like old soup cans in capes to me (though beauty in the eye of the beholder and all that).  Do they relate to established characters in other comics/movies/TV shows/RPGs?  Or is it a just being into 3A kind of thing?
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

Mikey

Soup cans? SOUP CANS?! You, sir, are a philistine!  ;-)

The other toy lines are based on Wood's other comics-WWR, Popbot etc.

M

ming

Hah!  Funnily enough, here's a custom 'bot done by one of the very talented 3A boardies...

Dash Decent

Quote from: Mikey on 19 October, 2010, 05:33:11 PM
Soup cans? SOUP CANS?! You, sir, are a philistine!  ;-)

Well, I suppose if it was good enough for Warhol it must be classy!

Quote from: Mikey on 19 October, 2010, 05:33:11 PM
The other toy lines are based on Wood's other comics-WWR, Popbot etc.

Pardon my ignorance, but who is Wood?  The only Wood I can think of is Wally Wood (early EC artist) and I'm sure it's not him!
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll