Main Menu

3A Toys/Rebellion Press Release

Started by Robo-K33F, 16 November, 2009, 01:20:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: SneakeeX on 19 January, 2013, 10:58:34 PM
Does that mean no 1/12 RoJaws??? Why?

'Not really' was in response to the question 'Any time soon?' so could just mean it's a way off yet.
@jamesfeistdraws

ming

Just so people know, a Facebook page has been set up to try and promote 3A x 2000AD:

https://www.facebook.com/2000.3AD

Various creators have been bullied into liking it* and the idea is that we can raise the profile of this stuff, give sales a bump, and get information flowing.

Any info or teasers that pop up there, I'll post here.

* Pete Wells threatens to bash people with his KTT unless they comply with his demands.

ming

A few more comments by Ash over at the 3A forum; nothing really new but the main thing is that he's popped his head in to comment directly on the 2000AD line - something that's been lacking lately.  Quite heartening, really.

(typos are Ash's own)

"we have them all on the go, takes time to get right, i dont want rush and make shit.

The 2000ad is a labor of love for me."

"Im hoping this years figure's bring support, especially the Hammerstein as these are really expensive to make and we really need the fans of 2000ad to rally around them !"

"I soend everyday surrounded by art from the greatest comic ever, I really love this stuff, and want to be the guy that made the best toys possible for it. I think when people see hammerstein, they will dig him, check out the cover to the second ABC Warriors album by Titann for a good idea of how he will look"

Hopefully the Facebook group mentioned above will be able to inform people about things in development and get people rallying round (i.e. buying) when the time comes.  If sales improve, the pace will pick up a bit, I'm sure.  As it is, the 2000AD toys are really a loss leader and a labour of love, something that's been clear since the get-go.

radiator

That's great and all - and the ABC Warriors so far have been superb-looking pieces.

...but from the sounds of it they don't sell terribly well. They really need to get Dredd, Death, Mean Machine, Anderson, Rogue and Stront etc etc out the door, as these will be infinitely more popular figures and raise awareness.

ming

Quote from: radiator on 25 January, 2013, 12:59:56 PM
That's great and all - and the ABC Warriors so far have been superb-looking pieces.

...but from the sounds of it they don't sell terribly well. They really need to get Dredd, Death, Mean Machine, Anderson, Rogue and Stront etc etc out the door, as these will be infinitely more popular figures and raise awareness.

Sales figures for this line, although a factor determining nuts-and-bolts issues like pace of releases, don't seem to be foremost in Ash's mind.

- The figures cost an awful lot in terms of time, resources and 3As cash, to develop
- They don't sell particularly well and probably don't break even, let alone make a profit

However, Ash continues to back the line regardless and, although we perhaps see things moving slower than we'd like, I can't imagine many companies doing this so well and sticking at it regardless of how much money they weren't making.

Yes, Ash and 3A could have made more money by trotting out the usual suspects (Dredd, etc.) first, but I like the fact that 'lesser' characters are being made (and made well).  We all confidently expect to see Rogue, Dredd, etc. but the fact we've seen Tharg and Ro-Jaws among the first figures released indicates a very different thought process behind this - one not primarily driven by profit.  As such, there's hope for any and all characters being made (given sufficient time); the Gronk was mentioned early on...  I'm still pining for Two Ton Tony Tubbs, though.

Mikey

Quote from: ming on 25 January, 2013, 01:28:18 PM

However, Ash continues to back the line regardless and, although we perhaps see things moving slower than we'd like, I can't imagine many companies doing this so well and sticking at it regardless of how much money they weren't making.

Yuh-huh. I feel that any other company would be the fuck as far away as possible form 2000ad by now. There's time yet I suppose! But until then, I'm in 'er to the wee wheels.

I do think that Dredd needs to make a showing to give the line a kick in the cubes and get other Squaxx interested.

M.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

ming

The subject of the design basis for the 3A Dredd figure has been batted around for a while.  My prediction was for a classic McMahon-style basic look, but as Ash previously mentioned the possibility of an Apocalypse War version (with Stub gun) it raised the possibility of specific artists styles being introduced (in this case, Ezquerra).

I asked Ash about this in the Q&A thread on the 3A forum, and he responded thusly:

the first Dredd isnt a Bolland or Mcmahon perse, its a 2000ad Dredd. it has elements of all, not saying we wont do versions. Would love to do a dredd bike, but we need the support to do it!

So, it doesn't look like an attempt to do a straight transfer of a specific style to the 3A figure, which is probably sensible.  Based on what we've seen with the 3A treatment of Ro-Jaws, Tharg and Mongrol I'd say Dredd's in safe hands - definitely a lot of thought and care going into this.

radiator

So it'll probably look like Rufus' Dredd then - which has recognisable elements of McMahon, Flint and others.

Should be ace.

Wonder if the Ezquerra version will be covered in big black lumpy outlines?

ming

Quote from: radiator on 28 January, 2013, 10:41:12 AMWonder if the Ezquerra version will be covered in big black lumpy outlines?

Hah!

Although I can imagine various head-sculpts being done that would be able to mimic certain 'classic' styles (Bolland, McMahon, McCarthy, Ezquerra spring to mind), doing various versions of Eagles and uniforms would be insanely complex and time consuming (not to mention eating a lot of time and money).  I can see why selecting a single, coherent look for Dredd would be very tricky - at least knowing how much this means to the people doing it; it's not just being hurried out as a money-maker.

Hopefully 3A will get some images for Hammerstein and Dredd approved by Rebellion soon - will be very exciting to see what Ash, Rufus & Co. have come up with.

Large48

And what is it that we are currently waiting for?

It's been so lonmg I've forgotten.... :-*
[size=40]Train Hard - Run Fast - Hit to Kill[/size]

ming

Quote from: Large48 on 28 January, 2013, 10:06:43 PM
And what is it that we are currently waiting for?

It's been so lonmg I've forgotten.... :-*

1/12 Mongrols are yet to ship - soon, hopefully.

1/6 Hammerstein, then Dredd to be released next as far as we know.

blackmocco

Sorry Ming. I'm sure this has been asked already but I can't find it: Hammerstein - With an alternate Ro-Busters head...?
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

ming

Quote from: blackmocco on 29 January, 2013, 12:22:42 AM
Sorry Ming. I'm sure this has been asked already but I can't find it: Hammerstein - With an alternate Ro-Busters head...?

No info yet, but I'm hopeful.  Ash's attention to detail (Tharg with his cups, Ro-Jaws' turd, The Mess with Mongrol) suggests we may well get a 'spare' Ro-Busters era head to switch around with the war-droid head.

Ages ago, when we knew that Hammerstein was in development, Ash said he'd do a Ro-Jaws figure because 'you can't play Ro-Busters without Ro-Jaws'.  That indicates this stuff is definitely on his radar, and it's a fairly logical move to include that extra head to give the classic pairing of Ro-Jaws & Hammerstein.

I've asked Ash in the 'Ask' thread on the 3A forum so hopefully we'll get confirmation soon.  (I've also suggested other people ask the same thing to increase chances of a response).

JOE SOAP

A proper Ash interview wouldn't be a bad idea, if he's up for it.