Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beaky Smoochies

Quote from: Teivion on 01 February, 2012, 02:07:24 PM
OUTLANDER  which was on TV last night.
Loved it. Really nice production design and effects, decent acting, a really good, enjoyable watch.
It looks like it bombed at the cinema, and online has mixed reviews- saying not that its bad, but a 'bit silly in places'.  Odd really as the film hardly sets out to promise anything it doesn't deliver in bucket loads, its hardly trying to be Shakespeare.
Geek fact : Karl Urban was originally up for the lead role. Hmm. that name rings a bell. Anyone?
Funny review which sums it up nicely :
http://outlawvern.com/2009/05/19/outlander/
Def worth watching. I might grab it on DVD just for the brilliant combat suits worn in the beginning.

Ah, Outlander, the movie that John McTiernan's The 13th Warrior should have been, if McTiernan had helmed Outlander, it would have been awesome - as long as the gorgeous Sophia Myles is still in it, that is!
"When the people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fear the people there is LIBERTY!" - Thomas Jefferson.

"That government is best which governs least" - Thomas Jefferson.

Dandontdare

Tropic Thunder. - had high hopes but it was shit. A handful of good gags, mainly from Downey Jr, but I find Ben Stiller incredibly annoying at the best of times, more than usually so in this film. I couldn't work out why the scenes with the producer were so lengthy and indulgent (an d not very funny), until I realised at the end who was under the make-up. *sigh* The fake trailers at the beginning were the funniest part of the film.

Roger Godpleton

Martha Marcy May Marlene. Just a superlative feature. Elizabeth Olsen is this year's most glaring Oscar omission, especially as she wipes the floor with Rooney Mara's showy Batman-impersonation. John Hawkes may just be one of the best character actors working today.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

bigjobs67

My daughter wants to see this film so we're off to the Corner House in Manchester to catch it. Read the blurb. Sounds interesting.
'Overwhelming, I'm I not!

Professor Bear

Lined up a giant robot quadruple bill, followed tomorrow by all three 1950s Creature From The Black Lagoon movies and Journey 2 - the Rock and Michael Caine?  Like I could ever pretend I wasn't going to validate that motherfucker with cinema cash!

Watched G Savior - the American (actually made in Caneda) Gundam movie, and Robot Jox so far.  Robot Jox fails spectacularly in so many ways, but apart from a duff script, it's not for lack of effort - the robot scraps are pretty impressive for a no-budget flick whose biggest star is the human from the Alien Nation tv series, and trite and unconvincing as the ending may be, there's something fucking awesome about giant robot pilots fist-bumping as the credits roll that could only be better if they were doing it while having sex with the same woman from different ends.
BUY THIS MOVIE and make sure you get beer in.  It has a character called Tex who wears a cowboy hat.  You know you want it.
G Savior sucks ass.  I say that less as a Gundam fan and more someone with eyes and ears.  Don't do it.

Air Force One, which I actually watched at 5am this morning when the bastard workmen woke me up with their hammering in the downstairs flat, so maybe it was my sleep-deprived mind imagining it but this movie is amazing.  15 years on and I still can't believe they made something this fucking stupid with a straight face, but they did.  Harrison Ford plays the president of America who walks around killing communists or saluting people, he has no neutral setting.  After he - SPOILER! - kills the bad guy, there's at least two action setpieces still to come, and one of them - an airman takes a "NNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOO!" bullet for the Prez while flying a plane - had me laughing like a drain.  It also has Glen Close as Vice Prez, Al from Quantum Leap doing something, and him from CSI, who also takes a bullet for the Prez and still has the energy later to say how awesome the President is.  And he's right.  I'd easily watch this again when roused by unruly workmen but for the fact I have already resolved to go downstairs and kill them with a hammer instead, but give this a watch if it comes on telly, it's a real hoot.

bigjobs67

Any fans of 'The Keep' by Micheal Mann?
'Overwhelming, I'm I not!

Roger Godpleton

I feel so sorry for your one-percenter person that you may be awoken by humble workmen, oh vaunted doctor.

Professor Bear

Don't rub your oik status in my face like it means anything, I'm the one percent, and "Workmen" is misleading - it's one guy who is actually worth millions.
He bought the flat when there was only rats in it and occasionally he smashes holes in it at odd hours, but never finishes any of the jobs he starts on it and it now basically looks like that colony bit in Aliens where they're walking about discussing what Newt's family are up to.  I went down like a bear at 5am to shout at him but he wouldn't answer the front door, so I went outside and looked in the rear window and he was crouched and hiding behind a door in the back room pretending he wasn't in.  According to an uncle of mine, this guy is up at odd hours because "He can't settle - there's men after him."

TordelBack

Quote from: Professah Byah on 03 February, 2012, 08:32:20 PM
He bought the flat when there was only rats in it and occasionally he smashes holes in it at odd hours, but never finishes any of the jobs he starts on it..  [...]  ...he was crouched and hiding behind a door in the back room pretending he wasn't in.  According to an uncle of mine, this guy is up at odd hours because "He can't settle - there's men after him."

Wow, you actually met Buttonman?  I thought he was just a story they tell to scare postmen...

Roger Godpleton

Maybe he lives in a Benny Hill sketch.

Professor Bear

Quote from: TordelBack on 03 February, 2012, 08:37:08 PMWow, you actually met Buttonman?  I thought he was just a story they tell to scare postmen...

In this part of East Tyrone "there's men after him" actually does carry an implication that there are gentlemen with guns - possibly explosives - in the equation, rather than just comics nerds with hammers.

TordelBack

Ah, that's a different type of Buttonman so.

Hoagy

The Guard.; Funny but could have been funnier. A little too reclined.

TinkerTailorSoldierSpy. Still couldn't keep up with the plot and had to let the show just tell me at the end. Oh.
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract

SpetsnaZ99

Setup
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1748197/

Bruce Willis and some rapper called 20 Pence

Take all the cut scenes from GTA Vice City, GTA San Andreas and GTA IV and stick them together randomly.
Crap
You ever notice that everyone who believes in creationism looks really unevolved? Eyes real close together, big furry hands and feet. "I believe God created me in one day." Yeah, looks like he rushed it.

radiator

Went to see Young Adult last night. I'm a huge fan of director Jason (son of Ivan) Reitman, but for me this fell some way short of his previous offerings Thank You For Smoking, Juno, and Up In The Air - the latter being one of my favourite films of recent years.

There's some great performances - Charlize Theron was perfectly brittle and damaged in the lead role, and Patton Oswalt was great too in support, and there's a nice, bleakly comic tone - but it just felt like something was missing. It also felt like a conscious effort to make a more 'mature' film, which to me translated as the whole thing seeming a bit ponderous and ever so slightly boring, especially during the first half. Could have done with certain characters being fleshed out a little more, a bit more to get your teeth into. I also wasn't quite sure, by the end, exactly what the film was trying to say.

Not helped by a few twats in the cinema who chatted throughout, especially annoying during what is a very quiet, subdued film. What really got me was it wasn't even as if they got bored with the film, which would have been understandable as its certainly not for everyone and those expecting Bridesmaids 2 will be disappointed - they didn't even give it a chance and were talking even during the opening scene.

A shout of "shut up!" only made them talk louder. You can't win with Arseholes like that.